Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two 15 team leagues - No divisions?

RE: Two 15 team leagues - No divisions?
All that is bogus

If any changes the only thing that makes sense to me is what most of the baseball higher ups are wanting to do and that is go back to a balanced schedule
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

(06-11-2011, 10:45 PM)bazooka joe Wrote: I have been wanting this for as long as I can remember. The Divisions are pointless.

This is what they SHOULD do:
Each team will play 13 of the other teams in their league 9 games a season. That will make up 117 of their games.

Each team will also play 6 interleague games against 5 different teams from the other league. That will make up 30 more games.

Then, each team will have a designated "rival" within their league who they play 15 times a season.

Personally, I would enjoy this much more than the current system. I dont want to see the Red Sox play the Orioles, Jays, Rays, and Yankees 18 times each. It is unbalanced and honestly gets boring. The 15 games against a rival will make sure the teams like the Red Sox and Yankees, Angels and Dogers, and other rivalries can still have more games than normal, but still less than now.

There are a few flaws in the sytem, but its just an idea. One of them being that a rival may not be in the same league, which would mess things up a bit.
I don't like the whole rival thing, because some teams have better/worse rivals than others
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

As an Jay fan any chance at us still getting in the playoffs being 3rd in our division is fine by me!!

(06-12-2011, 01:19 AM)bustin 5 knots Wrote: I don't like the whole rival thing, because some teams have better/worse rivals than others
I like bazooka joe proposal but bustin 5 knots you bring up a good point. Although I love to see my Yankees beat the Red Sox (unfortunately this only happen once so far this year) it would not be fair to let the Phillies get an easy wins because their rival is the New York Mets.
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

The only problem I can see is that two teams every year will finish in 15th place. Who's gonna support that? Owners? Fans?

Somebody in a previous post joked something like the Cubs finishing in 6th place won't sound as bad.

I don't know. I like the idea because it simplifies things. I'm not sure teams will like the idea of week long byes (for 1st place). Could be good to get rest for players or bad to get them out of their routines.

If it's going to be changed, this is how I would like it to be......

American Baseball Conference (ABC) 14 teams
East - Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Phillies, Pirates (good rivalries)
Central - Tigers, Indians, Reds, Twins
West - Mariners, Rangers, Astros, Rockies, D'Backs

National Baseball Conference (NBC) 14 teams
Southeast - Braves, Orioles, Nationals, Rays, Marlins
Midwest - White Sox, Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers (good rivalries: Sox/Brewers was good before Mil went to NL)
Southwest - Angels, Dodgers, Padres, A's, Giants (good rivalries)

Get rid off the Royals & Blue Jays. Royals haven't done anything for years and their future looks the same. The Jays, let's face it, play in Canada. MLB left Montreal and haven't looked to replace them up there. I picked the Jays over a team like the Pirates or Marlins because they got newer stadiums. The dome in Toronto could still be used for hockey/CFL games. Anyone on their 40 man roster would become free agents and could sign with anyone. There would be a special draft for the rest of their farm system. You figure 3 to 4 rounds. Teams ranked with the worst farm systems would draft first (snake like draft - like fantasy sports).

Season: change it to 154 games since there's two less teams - there would still be interleague play

Playoffs: Stays the same with 8 teams. But I would change the way it's played out. Determine the playoff format by their records from BOTH leagues. Let the AL & NL play it out completely from the start. If the World Series ends up being the Yankees and Red Sox or Dodgers & Giants, so be it. I want to see the top 2 teams playing in the World Series.

leave it alone as is, or is anything get rid of interleague!!

(06-12-2011, 06:13 PM)cjm8 Wrote: If it's going to be changed, this is how I would like it to be......

Midwest - White Sox, Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers (good rivalries: Sox/Brewers was good before Mil went to NL)

Get rid off the Royals & Blue Jays. Royals haven't done anything for years and their future looks the same. The Jays, let's face it, play in Canada. MLB left Montreal and haven't looked to replace them up there. I picked the Jays over a team like the Pirates or Marlins because they got newer stadiums. The dome in Toronto could still be used for hockey/CFL games. Anyone on their 40 man roster would become free agents and could sign with anyone. There would be a special draft for the rest of their farm system. You figure 3 to 4 rounds. Teams ranked with the worst farm systems would draft first (snake like draft - like fantasy sports).

Season: change it to 154 games since there's two less teams - there would still be interleague play

Playoffs: Stays the same with 8 teams. But I would change the way it's played out. Determine the playoff format by their records from BOTH leagues. Let the AL & NL play it out completely from the start. If the World Series ends up being the Yankees and Red Sox or Dodgers & Giants, so be it. I want to see the top 2 teams playing in the World Series.
I am sorry, but that bolded part is terribly wrong. Ask any MLB scout and they will tell you that the Royals have one of the best, if not the best, farm systems in the MLB.
[Image: bWSA7.png]
Collecting: Alfonso Soriano and Boston Red Sox

Astros to the AL? Screw that! Texas already has an American League team.

Lets try to make it even divisions here. 6 teams in NL Central and 4 in AL west is dumb...

I think lets make Arizona an AL West team, and move the Astros to the NL West. That makes the NL Central 5 teams again, and adds a fifth to the AL West. Based on Geographical location, the Astros are the next most west of the NL teams.

I personally like the best from each division and the wild card. It makes it 4 on 4 during the playoffs. Nice and even. Why would they wanna change that now?

(06-12-2011, 06:13 PM)cjm8 Wrote: If it's going to be changed, this is how I would like it to be......

No No No... The Pirates will never ever ever ever see a playoff game playing in a division like that, and the ABC West looks like baseballs dumping grounds. And having 4 teams in a division? Who thinks thats right? They should all be equal number of teams. .
[Image: BeckettSig.jpg]
I collect: Jeff Bagwell, and have Biggio, Berkman, Oswalt, Billy Wagner, some Pence and Clemens to trade for his cards

I think they should just move the Astros to the AL West and make no other changes. I have a feeling they're using this competitive balance issue as a way to sneak in their plans for more playoff games. Once the NFL season starts, most of the country forgets about baseball, so extending the season even further into November sounds pretty dumb.

If I were an Astros fan, I'd be excited about only having to compete against 4 teams for a divisions title instead of 5. Plus, I think a Rangers/Astros rivalry would have a better chance of growing naturally if they were division rivals.

The 'no-division' thing makes no sense at all. You'll either end up with a bunch of unwatchable series between the 7th-15th place teams late in the season or there'll be a glut teams from 3rd-8th place with similar records where the playoff teams will be decided by "pre-playoff round robin tournament" or some complex series of tie-breakers. Plus, you'll lose a lot of the traditional rivalries that have been around for decades. Why will the Cubs and Cards care about each other when they'll play the Diamondbacks or Pirates just as often as they will one another?