`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Which grading service is better for vintage football??? PSA or BGS???

Which grading service is better for vintage football??? PSA or BGS???
Which one and why? Thanks!
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

RE: Which grading service is better for vintage football??? PSA or BGS???
(02-21-2011, 08:04 PM)bakerman8419 Wrote: Which one and why? Thanks!
I would say neither. I would have to recommend SGC.

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1425480.html

(02-21-2011, 08:04 PM)bakerman8419 Wrote: Which one and why? Thanks!
Well, define better. Bgs/Bvg is losing my business as I type here. A grading company with 3 names (bvg/bgs/bccg) has lost my respect. BVG/BGS seem to have high standards and could be a very good grading service but they had to get greedy and form the bccg and totally change the standards to which a card is graded. BCCG sucks!!!! The most respected service in my opinion is PSA. The only cards I will let BGS/BVG grade are my autographed cards. They have the best grading system for that type card because they grade card and auto. SGC is also very good if you can deal with that crap holder in which they seal the card. I never thought I would be saying that I recommend PSA but I do. They understand collectors, Beckett has lost touch. When getting your card graded by psa you can instantly find it on the population report, I have cards BVG/BGS has graded that I still can't find on this crappy population report. To be exact, I have bought about 8 boxing cards and BGS/BVG doesn't even have a boxing category in the population report. This makes me a little uneasy, they are willing to grade the cards but not willing to accommodate the collector.

(03-05-2011, 11:28 AM)jeffasmith Wrote: Well, define better. Bgs/Bvg is losing my business as I type here. A grading company with 3 names (bvg/bgs/bccg) has lost my respect. BVG/BGS seem to have high standards and could be a very good grading service but they had to get greedy and form the bccg and totally change the standards to which a card is graded. BCCG sucks!!!! The most respected service in my opinion is PSA. The only cards I will let BGS/BVG grade are my autographed cards. They have the best grading system for that type card because they grade card and auto. SGC is also very good if you can deal with that crap holder in which they seal the card. I never thought I would be saying that I recommend PSA but I do. They understand collectors, Beckett has lost touch. When getting your card graded by psa you can instantly find it on the population report, I have cards BVG/BGS has graded that I still can't find on this crappy population report. To be exact, I have bought about 8 boxing cards and BGS/BVG doesn't even have a boxing category in the population report. This makes me a little uneasy, they are willing to grade the cards but not willing to accommodate the collector.
What is wrong with the SGC holder?

xxxxxx

(03-05-2011, 11:28 AM)jeffasmith Wrote: SGC is also very good if you can deal with that crap holder in which they seal the card.
My 1972 Topps Ted Williams is held pretty well with my SGC case on there.

I haven't had any problems yet.

(07-21-2011, 12:57 PM)jtulliakat0628 Wrote: My 1972 Topps Ted Williams is held pretty well with my SGC case on there.

I haven't had any problems yet.
I'm not sure how he can pimp PSA and then knock the holder for SGC. It's pretty well known that out of the big 3, PSA has the weakest slabs.

The SGC holder uses a gasket...sometimes, cards slip through the gasket although this only occurs in rare cases. The holder is easily scratched. Cleaning the surface with a paper towel can even scratch the surface. The holder (if you are careful and take your time) can be easily pried open with a very thin flat tip screwdriver. Finally, the aesthetics of the look and design are crappy and including the type print (font) in my opinion. I agree that PSA does a good job of accommodating the collector with a robust registry and pop report, but I do not like the attractiveness of their holder as well.
[Image: zz.png]

(07-23-2011, 11:08 AM)grilloj39 Wrote: The SGC holder uses a gasket...sometimes, cards slip through the gasket although this only occurs in rare cases. The holder is easily scratched. Cleaning the surface with a paper towel can even scratch the surface. The holder (if you are careful and take your time) can be easily pried open with a very thin flat tip screwdriver. Finally, the aesthetics of the look and design are crappy and including the type print (font) in my opinion. I agree that PSA does a good job of accommodating the collector with a robust registry and pop report, but I do not like the attractiveness of their holder as well.
In regards to the aesthetics of the holder, I'd go SGC, then PSA, and then BGS. SGC because the insert helps present the card better and gives it added pop. PSA because they are easiest for storing, and BGS last because it's too bulky and sterile looking. That, and the different coloring of the flips is too "gimmicky" for my tastes. The SGC and PSA flips are straightforward and have a simple professional appearance.

I've got a fair amount of SGC slabs and can't say any of them are scratched. Granted, I'm not rough housing with them anyway or doing anything that causes them to get scratched and if I was, I'd just purchase some of those team bag type things they make for slabbed cards. Each slab can be opened easily. PSA is the easiest, followed by SGC, and then BGS. Granted, I don't know what the big deal of which is easiest/hardest to open with a screw driver anyway. Like I implied earlier, unless you're going scuba diving with your card, playing hockey with it, tossing it into a tornado, or heading into a raging inferno, I don't get the big deal as to which is hardest to open. If you send it in to get graded, what are you doing with it that it needs all kinds of added protection? Heck, I popped open a BGS slab with just my bare hands by twisting the two ends in opposite directions from one another.
[Image: IMG-1.jpg]

When discussing which company is the best for grading why do we focus so much emphasis on the stupid case? The best company should be the one who has the toughest grading system and not the prettiest case. I started this thread with the intent to figure out which company is the best a grading and not the best at protecting. Forgive me if Im being rude but who cares about the case more so than the grade?

On a different note the PSA registry inflates the values of cards which is another stupid thing. Just because a person wants to complete a PSA 10 set shouldnt make a card worth more than a BGS 9.5 IF and the keyword is IF BGS 9.5 is more mint than a PSA 10. Do you see my point or am I on something?

Thanks to everyone who posted so far.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341