`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Negro League Cards

Negro League Cards
Were cards ever manufactured for the Negro Leagues in the 1940's? Would love to get my hands on some, but the only thing ever appearing on the bay are 90's inserts.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

RE: Negro League Cards
(02-10-2011, 08:59 AM)sonnyday Wrote: Were cards ever manufactured for the Negro Leagues in the 1940's? Would love to get my hands on some, but the only thing ever appearing on the bay are 90's inserts.
I don't think there were any cards produced for the Negro Leagues while the league was active. I very well could be wrong on that and am only going off of memory and a quick google search.

Here's a nice card though. Jackie Robinson wasn't the first to be on a baseball card. 1916 Zeenut Jimmy Claxton. I don't think he was ever in the big leagues but he at least was in organized minor league ball.

[Image: 59366.jpg]

1950-51 Toleteros is the cloest we've come to a Negro League set.

[Image: 174972.jpg]

There are dozens of sets that picture players from the American Negro Leagues from their playing days. Almost all are Cuban issues (some Puerto Rican) showing these players playing for Cuban teams in the off season. the sets range in years from 1909-1950s.

The only American issues I can think of that have Negro League players would be a couple of the PCL Remar Bread issues of the late 1940s that have some older Negro League players, that never went on to the Majors.

Negro League players are some of the most valuable of all baseball cards. A couple will reach 6 figs ($100K +) ie the 1909 Cabanas Pete Hill, or the 1910 Punch Pete Hill. and there are dozens in the $3K-$20K range too.

I dont have any of the big names and big $$ cards... But here are examples of some issues/players....

1923 Tomas Gutierrez album cut

1949 Acebo y Cia

1950 Toleteros

1952 Laval (Canada)

1952 Victoria (HOFer Ray Dandridge)

Thanks for sharing that info!

The Gilliam and Dandridge are pretty nice looking cards. Any idea on how big of a dent in the wallet those might cause in a mid grade condition?

I've never seen any of those sets before, but I will certainly be on the look out for them now. Thank you centuryoldcards for such an informative post
[Image: Boston.jpg]

(02-10-2011, 08:59 AM)sonnyday Wrote: Were cards ever manufactured for the Negro Leagues in the 1940's? Would love to get my hands on some, but the only thing ever appearing on the bay are 90's inserts.
I have some baseball cards of players in the Negro League. I doubt if these are the cards you are interested in. Printed on the back of the cards is "World Wide Sports" in the upper left corner and "Baseball Superstars Inc." in the right corner. All the cards indicate that the players were in the 1933 Negro All Stars, but the bottom of the cards have a 1988 copyright for The Sporting News Publishing Co.

Here is Hank Aaron 1952 Clowns Negro League card http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDe...lotid=3053

I have 5 negro league baseball cards my grandad fans to me years ago I also have a Jackie Robinson