`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggio, Smoltz, Pedro and Big Unit are in

RE: Biggio, Smoltz, Pedro and Big Unit are in
(01-08-2015, 12:43 PM)natejeffries Wrote: So now baseball players don't drink? I guess Miguel Cabrera and Josh Beckett didn't get that memo either.

Too bad the 1986 Mets didn't play sober they really could have done something.

And no kids were trying to become baseball players until when? 1910? 1920?

You have to judge players based on how they dominated their era which is what makes the steroid era tough to judge.

But to say that guys in the old days couldn't play today because the league did not have as many physical specimens is lunacy.

Dan Brouthers, at 6'2, 205, with four batting titles in the dead ball era, would suddenly flop? Why? How?

Nap Lajoie, a five-time batting champ gets cut from the Astros roster now?

George Wright can't catch and throw baseballs anymore?

6'2, 200 pound Amos Rusie not going to get drafted because he can only throw 548 innings in a year?

So Pedroia, Pedro Martinez, Altuve and Holland are exceptions.

How about Andrew McCutchen, Jimmy Rollins, Josh Harrison, Cespedes and Rafael Furcal?

All under 5'11.

Ever hear of Hack Wilson? He still holds the single-season RBI record and he was 5'6.
Your still rolling right over the fact the modern athlete is so far superior to those guys, there is no comparison. You can name as many players and their accomplishments as you like, I know them all. Your not telling me anything I didnt learn 20 years ago. If you cant recognize that the talent pool back then was questionable, there's no use having this discussion. You keep bringing up the minor points I make and dont address the major points. I mentioned most of them were drunks, undersized by todays standards, etc. You dont address the evolution of the athletes. You've never mentioned how they would fair against the best from all over the world. Those guys played against and with "talent" from select regions of America. The players today are black, latino, Asian, you name it. The best the world has to offer. Are you telling me that was the standard back then? At any point in time, the modern MLB can pluck a superstar from thin air, from any country. Once again, THE BEST THE WORLD HAS TO OFFER. What say you?

BTW, Hack Wilson played in the 20's and 30's. Thats the golden era.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biggio, Smoltz, Pedro and Big Unit are in - by Hofcollector - 01-08-2015, 05:45 PM