`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggio, Smoltz, Pedro and Big Unit are in

RE: Biggio, Smoltz, Pedro and Big Unit are in
You can compare guys at different positions in some ways. It is obviously much harder defensively so what I do is compare how each player handled their positions compared to their fellow players.

In that regard, Carlos Delgado, a former catcher became a competent first baseman with some flaws (he led the league in errors from the position three times). However, Delgado led the league in putouts five times and turned the most double plays four times.

In comparison, Kent led the league in errors five times while only once leading the league in assists and once in double plays turned.

As far as offense goes, Delgado was better than Kent even though Kent had 880 more plate appearances.
He had 473 home runs compared to 377 for Kent.
Kent had just six more RBI's despite playing in 263 more games.
Kent, a line drive hitter, batted .290 compared to .280 for Delgado, who was the better slugger.
Delgado's slugging percentage is .546 compared to .500 for Kent.
Delgado's on base percentage of .383 is better than .356 for Kent.
Delgado walked 300 more times than Kent.
Delgado crushed it in the postseaon too, batting .351 with 4 homers in 10 games, while Kent batted .276 with 9 home runs in 49 games.

I am also suspicious that Kent never had a slugging percentage better than .475 until 1998 when at the age of 30 he put up a .555 slugging percentage (the first of 9 seasons with a slugging percentage of .500 or better)

Delgado was consistent throughout his career even after they started testing for steroids (Which is not to say either of these two guys could have been on HGH or something else).

Again, this is not to say Kent was some steroid abusing slouch only to prove that Delgado was easily his equal and I believe to be better yet was kicked off the ballot on his first try while Kent gets three times the votes.

Also, Kent was not as good of a power hitting second baseman as Ryne Sandberg, Rogers Hornsby, Charles Gehringer, Nap Lajoie. I know you said he was arguably the greatest power hitter and he may have more home runs but that doesn't prove he had greater power since the game is played much differently today and he may have been aided by PED's.

Also, do not let this baseball argument stop you from making a trade with me because I hold no grudges in Baseball Hall of Fame debates. These arguments take on a life of their own and are impossible to control.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biggio, Smoltz, Pedro and Big Unit are in - by natejeffries - 01-06-2015, 08:35 PM