`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building First Set - Need Insight

Building First Set - Need Insight
Just opened two boxes of 2013 Bowman and have a sudden urge for this to be the first set that I build - before I go full-on however, I'm a bit curious as to the extent to which a set like this is generally built. Is the goal to collect every card that isn't an auto or ridiculously rare insert, like a 5/5 or 1/1? What's the general norm, if any? Thanks!
2012 Allen & Ginter Mini Auto Set: 96/123 (78% Complete)
2012 A&G Framed Relic Set: Just need Gehrig, Clemente, and Aaron
2012 A&G Master, Mini Set Builder

RE: Building First Set - Need Insight
I would go with the base and chrome and maybe autos if you have deep pockets.
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Whenever I decide to build a set, I will just go the base set plus any SPs. I don't do inserts, autographs or anything else. Like Heritage, I just do 1-500 with all SPs (Nos. 426-500). I don't do any variations, no inserts/subsets, nothing else.

Hope this helps.

Depends on what you want to spend, time frame you give yourself, and how good (or lucky) a bargin hunter / trader you are! The goal is whatever you want it to be. Some do just base, inserts, gu or auto's. Others do combinations. Some only collect team sets ect. I'd let the product breath a couple weeks post release so that pricing setteled down unless you really "need " something. Whatever you decide......good luck & enjoy!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Generally I build the base only also. With 2013 Gypsy Queen I'm going to (hopefully) do the base and all the standard size inserts (not AU or GU).
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

Awesome! Thanks for all of the feedback, fellas! I guess I'm just going to start off small with the base set and assess later how deep I want the collection to go. I'll be posting needs within the next day or two. Thanks again, all!

if you work on the chrome prospect set remember that you will have to buy into bowman chrome when it comes out as there are continuations in that product

Good point - I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably include the chrome but just look at doing base for now.

yeah go with the base first, and then work from there!! good luck
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

I'm still working on my 2012 Bowman "Mini-Master" Set. 1-220 Paper 1-110 Paper Prospects 1-110 Purple Prospects 1-220 Chrome Prospects 1-220 Chrome 1-55 Chrome and Paper Draft RC's 1-165 Chrome Paper Draft Picks 1-55 & 1-165 Bowman Blue /500 draft picks and the Draft Autos BGS 9+ Oh and all the base refractor sets, Im about... 65% done filled 2 of the 1600 count boxes so far. Still probably 2 more to go.
www.northerncards.net
Bowman Set Collector
Blue Jays Guy
Supercollecting Jorge Saez and Jose Berrios