`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The best pitcher ever: your opinion wanted

The best pitcher ever: your opinion wanted
There are lots of arguments about who the best pitcher was. And there are infinite ways to argue it.

For me, the best that ever was? Satchel Paige...and it isnt close.

cant argue that statistically, of course.

i could bring up the fact he started a game in 1965, at the age of 58 - FIFTY BLEEPING EIGHT, pitched 3 innings and only allowed 1 hit and no runs - against the red sox, a lineup including yaz, tony c, malzone, petrolcelli, lee thomas (who has 22 hr's that year)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/player...1&t=p&year=

or, you could just take the words of one of the greatest hitters to ever play:

"After I got that hit off Satchel (Paige), I knew I was ready for the big leagues." - Joe DiMaggio

or we take the opinion of a hall of fame pitcher:
"(Satchel) Paige was the best pitcher I ever saw." - Bob Feller

Or, we can just let the greatest hitter to ever play the game to give his opinion on the greatest pitcher ever was:

"Satch (Paige) was the greatest pitcher in baseball." - Ted Williams

your opinion? name ONE guy, who was the greatest pitcher of all-time. back it however you like...statistically or otherwise

RE: The best pitcher ever: your opinion wanted
I think Paige was the best for his time. Bob Gibson and Nolan Ryan are both close behind him, they were just plain nasty. For this era I would have to say Randy Johnson, Justin Verlander and Greg Maddux. Verlander needs a few more years of dominance for me to pencil him in permanently though. Same with my favorite, David Price. If he keeps improving and the Rays keep improving around him he will be a Cy Young contender every year.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

(12-29-2012, 02:07 PM)Haze28 Wrote: I think Paige was the best for his time. Bob Gibson and Nolan Ryan are both close behind him, they were just plain nasty. For this era I would have to say Randy Johnson, Justin Verlander and Greg Maddux. Verlander needs a few more years of dominance for me to pencil him in permanently though. Same with my favorite, David Price. If he keeps improving and the Rays keep improving around him he will be a Cy Young contender every year.
for this eras, i always take maddux...he did more with less. his control might be top 3 of all-time, and his baseball knowledge is off the charts

recommended reading:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/23379...the-legend

verlander is just too soon, same as price. along with johnson and maddux, you gotta include pedro, though somewhat like koufax, longevity isnt there (though pedro lasted longer)

(12-29-2012, 02:12 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: for this eras, i always take maddux...he did more with less. his control might be top 3 of all-time, and his baseball knowledge is off the charts

recommended reading:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/23379...the-legend

verlander is just too soon, same as price. along with johnson and maddux, you gotta include pedro, though somewhat like koufax, longevity isnt there (though pedro lasted longer)
I always forget about Pedro, didn't he end his career with the highest winning percentage for a pitcher with over 200 wins or something like that? For this era of course... Guys like Cy Young and Mathewson won damn near all of there games lol.

You are right about Maddux, he was my favorite when I was a kid and watching him pitch was way different from watching all of the power guys throw. It seamed almost effortless for him.
That article about Maddux is great by the way!
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

My top ten (no particular order)
Cy Young-obviuosly
Sandy Koufax-just amazing, too bad career got cut short
Satchel Paige-heat plus great mixing of very different pitches
Whitey Ford-awesome under pressure
Nolan Ryan-strikeouts and wins
Bob Gibson-sheer intimidation of the batter, he could get the batter out before he threw a pitch
Mariano Rivera-no one you can trust more in the ninth inning
Christy Matthewson-wins
Greg Maddux-so much with so little
Phil Niekro-I think it was Rich Hebner who said, "Trying to hit off Niekro is like trying to drink coffee with a fork."
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

ok...now pick one

ONE folks...no lists. one pitcher, greatest ever. and why.

lists are cop outs :p

The Big Unit. First off he was clean. Second he was durable. And last he was the most intimidating I've ever seen. Match his numbers up with a dirty Clemens and the solid career of Nolan Ryan. The best in the last 40 years hands down.

Counterpoint to randy johnson being the best:

[Image: p1010049fx3.jpg]

i rest my case, your honor

An excellent point, jacobystealshome. By the way, I'm still working on picking one from my list.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

(12-29-2012, 04:22 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: Counterpoint to randy johnson being the best:

[Image: p1010049fx3.jpg]

i rest my case, your honor
^Love it!

I'd say Randy Johnson was probably the best I ever saw. (I'm 32). So he gets my vote. It's too bad he couldn't put it all together a few years earlier. -For a 5 year period he was unbelievably dominant. And his career numbers definitely put him toward the top of the heap in my book.

[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*