`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The JSA "Approval" List

RE: The JSA "Approval" List
(12-09-2012, 11:37 PM)kr0n420 Wrote: I agree, the BGS reps have a flimsy grasp on English. I guess it all depends on why you're grading.
I like them to be well presented, but more importantly I want them protected.

In my experience, SGC is horrid at protection and preservation. Why anyone would entrust the condition of their card to SGC is beyond me. It's just gonna sit in their holder and bang around, which is why I suggested a top loader as opposed to using them, it's essentially the same thing.
How a card can just sit in a holder and bang around is beyond me.

(12-10-2012, 04:13 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: How a card can just sit in a holder and bang around is beyond me.
Yea, I think hes mistaken SGC with PSA.
SGC has custom made frames inserted in each slab. Card does not move.
(12-09-2012, 02:33 PM)sonnyday Wrote: I love the fact I submitted 4 cards to sgc and I got a phone call from Earl to let me know they arrived, total value on the cards was about $50.00. My last submission to beckett included over 100 cards with a combined value over $5000 and they can't even email me to say they got them, but they can have a telemarketer call me to solicit me a crappy special......it doesn't take a genius to see that all they care about is money and not building relationships.

W0W!
Your experience mirrors mine. Smile

Oh well. I giving the cards a bit of a break now anyway. I gotta slow the buying and put some cash away and with the GF's unemployment drying up spending money (even for grading) will be scarce. Undecided

(12-10-2012, 04:13 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: How a card can just sit in a holder and bang around is beyond me.
I play ultimate frisbee with my graded cards so I prefer they not move around.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

I like to take my graded cards on road trips down pot-hole riddled gravel back roads of Texas, so I prefer they don't bang around either.

Skybox Autographics Set Collector

(12-10-2012, 06:48 PM)sonnyday Wrote: I play ultimate frisbee with my graded cards so I prefer they not move around.
Exactly. I mean, yeah, I get that cards can move around more easily in certain slabs but unless people are out there playing ball with the slab, incessantly shaking the slab, or doing who knows what, there is not very likely to be an issue with the card inside. I imagine most people leave their cards sitting out on display or tucked inside a box somewhere, pulling them out once in awhile to look at. That's not going to cause ridiculous movement in the slab and cause damage. All of, well, the solid majority of these cards went through the manufacturing, packaging, and shipping process and many get the "gem mint" or "mint" grades. I would imagine there is a whole lot more motion going on in there than there is in a slab.

Haha, fair enough, I suppose "sitting there banging around" is somewhat of a paradox.
And it's a fair point about them surviving the hauls in the pack/box/case/truck/airplane/hot air balloon/carrier pigeon.
Although the scenario about Texas back streets oozes of sarcasm, that is a likely scenario. Not in Texas of course, but the fact remains that cards do get transported from time to time. Or many times depending on what you've got going on.

But no, I am not confusing SGC with PSA. I've never had any dealings with PSA, and haven't even held a PSA card in my hands. These were the same circumstances as before my first and only SGC order.

I've seen the "custom"/(aka home made) frames, and it is very apparent that they are "custom", but that doesn't make them good or accurate. The cuttings aren't (always) straight lines. I have no idea how their custom frames are made, I would just imagine a series of hand tools, but it's far from "great". Don't get me wrong, I love the black framed look, a lot. But not at this cost.

I was sure I had posted my huge SGC horror story on here but maybe I didn't, and I haven't searched this very moment.

To try to summarize very quickly, it was ~31 card order. About 24 of them rattled considerably (Custom fit failure), and of the 7 that didn't rattle 3 of those were ~55pt GU cards that were thick enough to condone an inner sleeve which filled the space and prevented the rattle/movement. Also among the 31 were a GU card that came in a nice fresh slab with a super slick scratch along ~80% of the vertical backside. Another card had been mislabeled to the entirely wrong set, which didn't even exist at the time or anywhere near it.

I can understand that maybe I was "unlucky" (really?). But that is a whopping amount of errors in a single order. Holy hell, talk about putting your worst foot forward.

At the end of the day, it's going to be at the collector's discretion which grading company they give money to, have faith in, stand by, etc. I simply don't like my encased cards to have the ability to move under any circumstance, regardless of any wild examples you may give. If that doesn't bother you, and that quality is "good enough", and you will stand by the company's grading integrity given that, that is your choice.

Cheers,
Adam

All in good fun! Yeah, all it takes is a bad experience to turn someone off to a grading company. In the end, all have their positives and negatives and all have messed up along the line somewhere. I think that to expect these guys to be 100% across the board over a number of years would be highly unrealistic and lacking in common sense. Bottom line, and what you essentially alluded to, is go with what you like for whatever reasons you prefer.

(12-11-2012, 04:02 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Bottom line, and what you essentially alluded to, is go with what you like for whatever reasons you prefer.
That pretty much sums it up.

(12-08-2012, 06:01 PM)jchavestx Wrote: Other than that I talked to the fine folks at SGC Grading and they are grading 10 cards for me out of the 1996-97 Skybox Autographics set for $110 and 10 day service. Can't beat that.
This also just dawned on me, what is so good about this deal that it makes you say "Can't beat that"? Just because it's not BGS?

Cheers,
Adam

(12-15-2012, 04:12 AM)kr0n420 Wrote: This also just dawned on me, what is so good about this deal that it makes you say "Can't beat that"? Just because it's not BGS?

Cheers,
Adam
BGS charges more for 10 days service.
The CHEAPEST deal they have been running is $7 a card with the $2 autograph fees for 20 DAYS (SOMETIMES they will reduce the autograph fee).