`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General grading question

General grading question
I am just asking as I am not into the whole grading thing.

In browsing for pickups for my 1958 Topps set, I have come across many cards that have been graded. The grades I have seen range from Mint 9s all the way down to 1s, 2s, and even an "A" which I am guessing means authentic.

Here's my question:
Why would you (the general public) send off cards to be graded if they're going to come back as anything less than 7? It just seems like it would be a waste of money to send a card to get graded and it come back anything less than NM.

Example: I would consider it a waste of money to send off any of my 1958s to get graded if they're coming back less than a 6-7. It seems like the profit potential would just not be there if you were trying to resale the cards graded vs. selling them ungraded.

Just wanted to get an opinion on this.

RE: General grading question
I look at it both ways too.
Yeah the value is not there, but it really depends if your selling or just a true collector.
1958's, well those are older cards, and most people would just graded them so they be slabbed to protect them. The other alternative is just buy some hard acrylic screwdowns.

The relality hits once graded. The card is determined and may change slightly during a corssover, but the value is basically set.
Looking at a raw card, has 2 factors...you will always wonder what the card is worth and condition.
The downside, people are less obligated to buy the card, wondering if its fake.

I only sent cards off 3 times, 1 was lost, but i had ok experices with Beckett & SGC.
Collecting ROOKIE CARDS 40-60's, 25 Gehrig, fancraze-wagner

I send in the majority of my PC cards to be graded with many falling in the P-VG/EX category. I frankly don't care about any increase/decrease in "value" on the card. I do it for three main reasons with the first being the most important.

1) Verification that the card is legit and not doctored/fake. In person, I don't really care but when purchasing over the internet, 99% of the time I'm buying graded as, in my personal experiences, for the most part people will "beef up" the grade a little bit. At least when it's graded, I have a general idea as to what to expect in regards to the things I can't see in a scan such as surface.

2) I just like the look of the cards in the slab of the company I use which is SGC. I think the black insert helps make many of the cards' color pop and thus present well.

3) If I bite the big one and my family decides to get rid of the cards, at least they have a fighting chance as to what they are holding instead of walking in totally clueless.

(12-03-2012, 08:39 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I send in the majority of my PC cards to be graded with many falling in the P-VG/EX category. I frankly don't care about any increase/decrease in "value" on the card. I do it for three main reasons with the first being the most important.

1) Verification that the card is legit and not doctored/fake. In person, I don't really care but when purchasing over the internet, 99% of the time I'm buying graded as, in my personal experiences, for the most part people will "beef up" the grade a little bit. At least when it's graded, I have a general idea as to what to expect in regards to the things I can't see in a scan such as surface.

2) I just like the look of the cards in the slab of the company I use which is SGC. I think the black insert helps make many of the cards' color pop and thus present well.

3) If I bite the big one and my family decides to get rid of the cards, at least they have a fighting chance as to what they are holding instead of walking in totally clueless.
What he said.

Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

I have some that will probably come back around 4-6 but it's mostly because i am keeping it for myself. It looks good and is protected. Thats just my 2 cents. Smile
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

(12-03-2012, 07:24 PM)pawpawdiv9 Wrote: I look at it both ways too.
Yeah the value is not there, but it really depends if your selling or just a true collector.
1958's, well those are older cards, and most people would just graded them so they be slabbed to protect them. The other alternative is just buy some hard acrylic screwdowns.

The relality hits once graded. The card is determined and may change slightly during a corssover, but the value is basically set.
Looking at a raw card, has 2 factors...you will always wonder what the card is worth and condition.

I only sent cards off 3 times, 1 was lost, but i had ok experices with Beckett & SGC.
Wait.... What do mean exactly "1 was lost"?... You're entire order or one card? And what company if you don't mind me asking?

(12-03-2012, 07:24 PM)pawpawdiv9 Wrote: I look at it both ways too.

Wait.... What do mean exactly "1 was lost"?... You're entire order or one card? And what company if you don't mind me asking?

actually the mail service lost the whole box on its way to Beckett. So, i re-state Beckett had no involvment in its lost.
I had really fast and good grades from SGC..they look good in there holders. But value wise they seem to hold lesser value. (probably based on their grading scale)

(12-15-2012, 12:07 PM)pawpawdiv9 Wrote: actually the mail service lost the whole box on its way to Beckett. So, i re-state Beckett had no involvment in its lost.
I had really fast and good grades from SGC..they look good in there holders. But value wise they seem to hold lesser value. (probably based on their grading scale)
... Did you get them back? Were they expensive cards you lost?

no, never recovered. Luckily, i insure everything. but 100 was bare mininmun value w/o grading them.
Depending on grades, it could of been better.
I posted here about it and what cards. It was a handful or so.
It had 2 RC- Ozzie Smith (topps & opeechee)