`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Grading a 1996 Score Board Auto?

Grading a 1996 Score Board Auto?
I have a 1996 Score Board Autographed BK Silver #15 Kobe Bryant. This is serialized out of 325. It's the only autographed card I've ever gotten straight from a pack. How do I go about getting it graded? Should I? I tried, but Beckett sent it back to me with a letter saying it was a non-certified autographed card, and it needed to go to JSA first. I thought non-certified would mean signed in person, not from the pack.

RE: Grading a 1996 Score Board Auto?
Send to PSA. Its a flat $25 fee for autograph cards before 1998 and you dont need a membership.

Will $25 at PSA cover authentication and grading of the signature? What about grading the card?

I'm having trouble understanding the JSA/BGS grading process. It looks like it'll cost $20 to have JSA authenticate the signature. Then for an additional $30, they will send it to BGS to grade the autograph. And then for another additional #30, BGS will grade the card. Is that all correct?

(10-18-2012, 07:48 AM)hercules21 Wrote: Will $25 at PSA cover authentication and grading of the signature? What about grading the card?

I'm having trouble understanding the JSA/BGS grading process. It looks like it'll cost $20 to have JSA authenticate the signature. Then for an additional $30, they will send it to BGS to grade the autograph. And then for another additional #30, BGS will grade the card. Is that all correct?
Covers all the above.

I think you are mistaken on the JSA fees. Unsure, havent sent one to JSA, if its one I know BGS wont grade I usually send it to PSA.

are you sure you don't need a membership? website seems to say something about joining the collector's club.

do you have scans? i would love to see a pack pulled one to compare to all of the fakes that are out there.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

Yea I'll try to get that up. Here is BGS's response after I inquired about the returned card.

Yes, we can normally grade cards that come autographed out of the pack. Unfortunately some of these smaller now defunct companies had employees sign the cards instead of the player so the cards they claim to have authentic autos are counterfeit. Keep in mind we’re not saying yours is counterfeit we’re simply saying that it will have to go to JSA for authentication before we can grade it.

i think thats a pretty standard response for kobe scoreboard autos, theres so many fakes i dont blame beckett for not wanting to certify the auto.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

(10-19-2012, 11:43 PM)hercules21 Wrote: are you sure you don't need a membership? website seems to say something about joining the collector's club.
YES.
I do not have a membership and I sent in my 1995 Stadium Club Members Only Reggie Miller autograph & 1992 Classic Robert Horry autograph.
This month I sent in 4 more cards. (my card was already charged).

I did some research:

JSA offers a "Basic Certification" service for $20-30. Looking up the player by name, I find that Kobe Bryant signatures are at the high end, $30. For an additional $10, they send it to BGS for encapsulation and card grading. I think autograph grading would be another $10 on top of that. Lastly, return shipping is $13, and insurance is $7. So the total is $60! ($70 with autograph grade)

PSA offers a "Autographed Card Grading and Authentication" service for $25, which I think is grading of the card, not the autograph. For autograph grading, the fee is $10, however because it is a Kobe signature I think the fee is actually $25. The return postage would be $17.50. So the total is $42.50. ($67.50 with autograph grade).