Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Non Machinable surcharge ??? . . . when using the USPS
Information 
RE: Non Machinable surcharge ??? . . . when using the USPS
(09-26-2012, 06:35 PM)raylon Wrote: Hey my fellow hobbyist. Just wanted to share this with you all (y'all). As always for years, I either sell or trade cards. When I ship them, I package the card with a soft sleeve, then into a hard sleeve, then into a team resealable bag with the invoice wrapped around the card and into a standard 3 X 6 envelope, weight the package with my digital kitchen scale and put on a nice USPS baseball 45ยข Forever stamp on it and ship it.

Today, I had a card returned to me in red all over the envelope with sayings of . . . "Needed More Postage" , "Return To Sender" (w/ the hand pointing to my return address), and "NON MACHINABLE". Never seen this before, so I looked it up.

New postage rates became effective January 22, 2012:
If your letter exceeds any of the above letter dimensions it will be classified and priced as a large envelope (flat). All First-Class Mail non machinable letters are subject to a 20-cent non machinable surcharge.

I mailed about hundred of cards a month in the last 2 years and this is my first time and ever heard of this. How do you know what's machinable and non machinable? That's our good ol' USPS working hard for us . . . I guess.
UPDATE: A non-machinable Top Loader card in the U.S. ONLY is 71 Cents DUE TO Raise 9% or to 78 Cents as oh January 15, 2016