IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This forum!?

RE: This forum!?
pm sent jchavestx!

Are you just after '96-'98? I have a '98-99.

Looking for 1996 thru the 1999-00 sets, whatcha got?

Skybox Autographics Set Collector

Number of people collecting basketball cards has become less over the years. I live in a huge city of San Diego. I have yet to find new collectors that collect basketball cards... or even sports cards... there used to be a ton of card shops, now there are only a small handful of shops. I also, traveled to three different shops near Los Angeles. Non had basketball for sale, if they did... they were old (opened) boxes.. only had loose packs, or overpriced National Treasures boxes, that probably sat there since they first came out. I was quoted $1,200 for a box of NT 2009-10.. forget it! I had to pass it up.

Thinking about local collectors... is the same as worldwide collectors using Beckett.com... people are starting to lose interest in collecting. Yes, there are a lot of new collectors or old collectors that are finding their old passion for collecting cards agian...

I am not a big trader, mainly because I do not see anything that interests me. If I do find some that interests me, the other collector wants A-list stars for a few low end cards..

My favorite LCS only can carry 1-3 boxes at a time. It costs them way too much to buy boxes in bulk or buy every product. They do make special orders for their faithful buyers, but cost is still above what you can get online for a fraction of the cost.

I wish more people would start collecting.
I wish card companies would lower their costs of packs/boxes.
I wish LCS would carry more basketball.
I wish I could find local basketball collectors in San Diego, Ca.
I wish there would be more & better card shows in SOCAL. Ones that sold cheap wax.
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

I think a large part of the issue is that this hobby has evolved from collecting into making money. It isn't about collecting your favorite players and teams now. It's about what auto you are gonna pull out of that box to make hundreds or thousands of dollars. And unfortunately over the past decade the card manufacturers have catered to that. With it becoming to expensive to collect the old school guys like myself have abandoned the hobby. And we have been replaced with dudes with fat wallets who really just want to make a buck. I don't remember where I saw it but when Gold Standard came up someone bought cases to the tune of $9,500 and busted them all. Who spends ten grand on basketball cards not having any idea what you are going to get?

You can't buy a nice 90s box for less than $150 now because you might pull a $4,000 Jordan. When in reality the chance of pulling that Jordan is worse than winning the powerball. You can't buy the old stuff, you can't buy the new stuff. It's just become ridiculous.

(04-21-2012, 06:06 PM)robd5811 Wrote: Im just trying to figure out why the basketball forums are so dead? No trading, sales basketball talk?? Where is everyone? We deff need to get the interest back on these forums.. playoffs are around the corner!! Hope everyones doin well!
keep posting any hobby talk, box breaks, trading/selling/buying threads, vintage basketball threads, basketball sport news/opinions/debate threads, and/or action figures and so on.
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

(04-21-2012, 06:06 PM)robd5811 Wrote: Im just trying to figure out why the basketball forums are so dead? No trading, sales basketball talk?? Where is everyone? We deff need to get the interest back on these forums.. playoffs are around the corner!! Hope everyones doin well!
I think we need to show off more MJ's Smile

(04-22-2012, 09:27 PM)jeep1991 Wrote: I think a large part of the issue is that this hobby has evolved from collecting into making money. It isn't about collecting your favorite players and teams now. It's about what auto you are gonna pull out of that box to make hundreds or thousands of dollars. And unfortunately over the past decade the card manufacturers have catered to that. With it becoming to expensive to collect the old school guys like myself have abandoned the hobby. And we have been replaced with dudes with fat wallets who really just want to make a buck. I don't remember where I saw it but when Gold Standard came up someone bought cases to the tune of $9,500 and busted them all. Who spends ten grand on basketball cards not having any idea what you are going to get?

You can't buy a nice 90s box for less than $150 now because you might pull a $4,000 Jordan. When in reality the chance of pulling that Jordan is worse than winning the powerball. You can't buy the old stuff, you can't buy the new stuff. It's just become ridiculous.
Jeep you nailed it...the flippers have killed the game for me. I used to enjoy ripping packs but its just became way to expensive to do that. Two years ago I switched to amost exclusively buying singles unless I found a cheap clearance box somewhere. I let someone else take the huge hit that ripping boxes has turned into.

I've got an antique mall that I go to alot and there is always a selection of 80's and 90's packs. They are super cheap and once in awhile they've got some of these packs that now appear to be more valuable than gold. I've found several skybox, spx, bowman's best, fleer, flair, etc....from this "new" $150-$300 a box era at $2-$3 a pack. IMO thats what those SHOULD be, but that 1 in 100 box 4k Jordan hit tells the market those packs should be $10 a piece?!?!?!
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65