`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
how do you finance this hobby?

RE: how do you finance this hobby?
I am about to sell for the first time, I am starting to overflow. I would love to just find someone to take a whole bunch of common and semi-star AU/GU for 20% of BV, but I will probably have to end up selling on Ebay.

I have tried setting a budget, but I am just so weak, haha! I allow myself one box every Saturday, but it gets expensive when Five Star and National Treasures football release. :-(

I SO wish I could trade cards for unopened boxes on Beckett!

I've only been back collecting a couple of years now and my box buying got to the point that I was having trouble affording to pay for bills, clothes,...I didn't buy a single box from July-February as a result. I only came back because I am really limiting myself as to what boxes I am buying and how many of each. Getting my priorities straight and self control are how I am affording it.

Pay bills first Then give her and you some spending cash. She gets the same amount you get. you cant complain where she spends the money and same goes for her. Then you have nothing to be ashamed about.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

I'm trying, but it's not working. I'm about to go on hiatus again. It's getting where I can't even afford to make trades again and to where I'm making irresponsible purchases. I love baseball and cards, I really do... but I'm also an addict (of cards, lol).

I was going to grab another box of Finest this week but the last paycheck was way too low from being sick and missing 25 hours. I'm feeling the itch to grab something. Thankfully I have an out of state trip next week for work and won't have to worry about money.

(03-06-2012, 04:04 PM)phillies816 Wrote: I've only been back collecting a couple of years now and my box buying got to the point that I was having trouble affording to pay for bills, clothes,...I didn't buy a single box from July-February as a result. I only came back because I am really limiting myself as to what boxes I am buying and how many of each. Getting my priorities straight and self control are how I am affording it.
Good Lord. I bet 90% of us on this forum probably fall into this boat. Including me!
(03-06-2012, 04:04 PM)waynetalger Wrote: Pay bills first Then give her and you some spending cash. She gets the same amount you get. you cant complain where she spends the money and same goes for her. Then you have nothing to be ashamed about.
This is a great idea... great idea.
[Image: mP9e9L.png]

i definitely find myself spending too much money on cards in the sense that my wife would get pissed but ive never let that cause me to miss bills or screw up my finances at all. If thats the case then i would think its def a good idea to take a breather from collecting . I ddnt realize that was a big problem, they should start a becketts anonymous forum

I'm praying that Uggla starts off on fire this season. I'm going to unload what I have left. I'm going back to just collecting Bowman sets, Don Mattingly and UK alumni.

(03-06-2012, 10:19 AM)ryancholden Wrote: So I continue to love to bust wax. I think I enjoy busting wax more than buying singles off the bay or marketplace. I don't do a ton, but enough that I'm spending $60 or so a month, and then easily another $50 in shipping charges with trades. I was warned by almost everyone when I got back in the hobby that it isn't cheap. $100/month isn't that big of a deal, but I just feel guilty as I know the wife isn't a big fan of this sort of spending.

So, how do you boys make this hobby more affordable? I know a lot of you seem to sell your stuff, but I'd be curious to know the details...For example, is it reasonable to sell cards to fund purchasing more wax (not talking big here....like $100/month), and to help take the edge off of shipping? Or is it unreasonable?

I fear I know the answer to this, but surely there are some creative souls that are making it work?

Ryan
If I'm randomly trying out packs, I can let my spending get out of control without getting anything I want. To control my spending, I pick a set to collect and buy boxes on the Internet that will go towards the set. I usually only buy a box during events (i.e. Christmas, Birthday, vacation).
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

(03-06-2012, 04:32 PM)0mattinglyalexander0 Wrote: I'm praying that Uggla starts off on fire this season. I'm going to unload what I have left. I'm going back to just collecting Bowman sets, Don Mattingly and UK alumni.
I have mattingly stuff, probably stuff you already have or looked through. If you end up w/ more griffey's though I'd love to help your habit Wink

This hobby like any other, is easy to lose sight on the amount your spending. Just takes some will power and self control. As not fun as it is, responsibility should come first especially when you have bills, kids and other responsibilities.