`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did I Miss This About NBA Hoops? UPDATED WITH ROOKIE CARDS! SORT OF!

RE: Did I Miss This About NBA Hoops?
As a set collector, I love this product. 36 packs x 8 cards per pack = 288 total cards. From what I saw on the video QC break by Keith on Panini's blog, you get about 20 AU/Insert/Parallel. That means, if collation isn't horrible and you don't get too many doubles, you're looking at having around 260 cards of the set in ONE BOX!!!! That would be around 93% of the set complete and you would only have 19 more cards to get to complete the set, which shouldn't be hard since this product is really cheap.

I'm alright with there being no GU in the product because if you ask me, there's already too many out there. I honestly miss the days when you pulled a GU card and were ecstatic because it was a 1:150 pack pull, and it wasn't even a patch. As for the AU, I'm just hoping at least one of mine are Pistons when I buy a box. Smile As for the rookies, I'm ok without them for now, just so long as they have some this year in some product. And imagine, with them having a lot fewer RC, the demand and value will be that much higher as compared to having a RC in 12 different products and 20 different variations of each (even though those aren't considered RC).

So yeah, as a set collector, I have no problem with this product whatsoever.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(02-22-2012, 12:14 PM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: As a set collector, I love this product. 36 packs x 8 cards per pack = 288 total cards. From what I saw on the video QC break by Keith on Panini's blog, you get about 20 AU/Insert/Parallel. That means, if collation isn't horrible and you don't get too many doubles, you're looking at having around 260 cards of the set in ONE BOX!!!! That would be around 93% of the set complete and you would only have 19 more cards to get to complete the set, which shouldn't be hard since this product is really cheap.

I'm alright with there being no GU in the product because if you ask me, there's already too many out there. I honestly miss the days when you pulled a GU card and were ecstatic because it was a 1:150 pack pull, and it wasn't even a patch. As for the AU, I'm just hoping at least one of mine are Pistons when I buy a box. Smile As for the rookies, I'm ok without them for now, just so long as they have some this year in some product. And imagine, with them having a lot fewer RC, the demand and value will be that much higher as compared to having a RC in 12 different products and 20 different variations of each (even though those aren't considered RC).

So yeah, as a set collector, I have no problem with this product whatsoever.
I totally agree. The Hoops product is not meant for people to try and flip or invest in, it is meant mostly for kids (hence the low price). Though it would have been nice for them to include some kind of rookie cards (even as a redemption). That being said, I like you point that having a few less rookie cards should mean that the RCs that do come out should hold a little more value. I also think the 1989 retro autos could be pretty hot, since there are probably a few rare signers that haven't signed many other cards.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Guys, I agree with you 200 percent about the low price point and the number of cards in the box ... that's why I originally ordered one!

I was under the mistaken impression that Hoops was this year's version of base Panini two years ago and Donruss last year ... as in, the one low-end product where you could pull lots of different CURRENT players from your favorite team (not just the three or four same guys that are in every high-end set), as well as regular non-numbered, non-auto, non-jersey rookie cards.

You know, like the good old days?

I see your guys' point about the scarcity increasing the value of the upcoming rookie cards, but as a fan of the league rather than the 'big hit,' I'd rather have low-end cards of the whole class of rookies than one serial-numbered, jersey auto of some rookie I don't care about that came in a $125 box of cards.

Heck, I've been wishing for three years that they would make a Score Basketball product.

Once I realized there are no rookie cards in Hoops — as well as reviewing the checklist and realizing that except for Lin and Paul, the rosters aren't updated either, despite the fact the season started two months ago — I have decided to pass.

I mean, Preferred, Limited and Gold Standard? What are the odds of pulling Kyrie Irving, Williams, Jimmer, Kemba or Brandon Knight out of just one box of any of those products?

As for the Hoops autos, I really didn't care who I got as long as I was pulling rookie cards and the newest members of the Kings like Jimmer, Isaiah Thomas, JJ Hickson, John Salmons, etc. ... I really just looked at the two autos as a bonus, which is why I splurged on a hobby box instead of retail.

Don't need any more Samuel Dalembert cards ... he's not on the team any more!

As far as I can tell, there won't be any retail, low-end basketball products this year where you can just go to WalMart or Target, pick up a couple of blasters and have a fun break for cheap.

Very, very sad. I can't see myself busting any basketball wax this year, and it is by far my favorite sport of the big four.

I mean, Hoops will have retail and it will still be a run break, but if you need rookies for it to be fun, then I guess I see your point.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(02-22-2012, 01:49 PM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: I mean, Hoops will have retail and it will still be a run break, but if you need rookies for it to be fun, then I guess I see your point.
Yeah, if they at least updated the rosters even without the rookies I might be tempted ... but without the rookies and players in new uniforms (not counting Lin and Paul), won't this basically feel like a 2010-11 product?

That's all I was trying to say.

Xtream, you and I have talked about being fellow Detroit fans — I'm a Kings fan just because I live out in California now — so how much better would it be if you could open a blaster of Hoops and pull a Brandon Knight rookie vs. opening one and not even having a chance to pull him?

Same with me and Jimmer/Thomas out here.

That was my only point.

From what I can tell, you and I have similar collecting budgets, and I was really looking forward to Hoops as sort of an all-inclusive product with all the new faces, be they rookies or vets in new places.

Especially one that wouldn't break the bank.

is this product just a tease for something big in the near future or what?

Collecting: ALL NBA STARS & SUPER STARS, ALL CURRENT DETROIT LIONS & Barry Sanders + NFL STARS

http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz108/est89detLions/

I think I am going to love this stuff and if you think that people aren't going to bust cases of this looking for one of those Lin autos in a NY uni, you are wrong. People always try and flip stuff no matter how low end it is.

The thing that gets to me about the Panini RC situation and the NBA lockout causing this shortage of RC cards is that in these new products the rookie cards are going to be much more scarce if they just insert RC cards in one or two products at the end of the year.

I want a Reggie Jackson RC card, but how much is that going to cost me for a late first round pick??? Probably too much because the RC cards will be so limited.

Maybe Season Update with have a TON of RC cards available.....???
MY PHOTOBUCKET
LOOKING FOR....
NO MORE 1993-94 Finest Refractors / THE SET IS COMPLETED!!!

(02-22-2012, 12:14 PM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: I honestly miss the days when you pulled a GU card and were ecstatic because it was a 1:150 pack pull, and it wasn't even a patch.
Amen, brother. The fact that sets crap GU/AU cards now ruined the hobby for me. I also am not a fan of 1/1 cards. As a collector they are basically producing cards you will never be able to obtain. Don't mind me though, I'm just a bitter old school 90s collector...........[Image: thboohoo.gif]

Uhh.. I understand about being upset about no rookies. I was also bummed. Then I looked at the auto checlist, and its not that bad. Since it is a very cheap product, I was surprised there are good chances at not getting complete scrubs. If you are only buying boxes to get big hits, good luck with that. There is Rose, Durant, Rovinson, Wall, Lin, Kobe, Paul and a ton of other great players forthe autos. Not too bad if you ask me. I have two boxes preordered. One from DA and one from Blowout. There is a release of the Hoops retail soon by the way.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

There are presell RETAIL boxes of this stuff on ebay right now going for more than 70 bucks..are people serious??
Mainly looking for Kobe..DRose..Brandon Jennings..Demarcus Cousins
TRADE BUCKET
http://photobucket.com/trade-sell
[Image: jenningsbanner.jpg]