`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BVG Grading Question

RE: BVG Grading Question
I agree with you guys. A few years back, BGS graded everything both vintage and modern. The subgrades were part of what drew me to Beckett. Then BVG was created to be easier on vintage cards, but they still had subgrades. Now they've done away with that too.

And with the lack of support w/the registry migration they are only losing customers thru this. Sad

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the only place they got rid of subgrades is being printed on the final product when the card is graded. Meaning they still grade the card the same way as a modern card, but instead don't show the subgrades for the reason that a card might grade a 4.0 and have a surface subgrade of a 3.5 which drops the overall grade to a 4.0.....this happens alot more in vintage so they decided to only show the final grade.....the process itself is still the same.
[quote='tiger8mush2' pid='1779771' dateline='1321493641']
I agree with you guys. A few years back, BGS graded everything both vintage and modern. The subgrades were part of what drew me to Beckett. Then BVG was created to be easier on vintage cards, but they still had subgrades. Now they've done away with that too.

And with the lack of support w/the registry migration they are only losing customers thru this. Sad
[/quote

They didn't drop subgrades to be easier, just to not show the subgrades. I have a BVG with subgrades and if i sent it in again it would still get the same final grade.

(11-28-2011, 07:42 PM)lilgman Wrote: They didn't drop subgrades to be easier, just to not show the subgrades. I have a BVG with subgrades and if i sent it in again it would still get the same final grade.
I agree, an older BVG card with subgrades would grade the same (theoretically) now. But a 1955 Topps BGS graded card would come back with a higher BVG grade now. The entire reason BVG was created. Just wish they still had subgrades.

I have a similar question/questions that might KINDA go along with this thread, sorry, I just didn't know where else to post it...How much dif or easier going are the grades from BVG then BGS? I know that a BGS 9/9.5 is more then likely going to be a much nicer card then lets say a PSA 10, and yes I know that there could sometimes be exceptions. So I guess my main question here is with all things being equal, if that is possible, what would a BVG 8 maybe kinda be equal to in a PSA graded card? Maybe like a PSA 7...generally speaking??? Also what would MAYBE be considered the #3 top grading system? Thanks all for understanding that I'm still a rookie in this Smile