`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion

RE: BGS vs PSA, but not the usual discussion
Just to toss my two cents in ... I prefer BGS. Not because I am some Beckett loyalist who will follow them to the depths of hell, but because regardless of resale values they tend to bring on ebay, I think that overall they offer a superior service. The subgrades and half grades are without question, in my mind at least, a massive improvement over PSA's whole numbers and no subgrades. I like to know where cards got penalized on their overall grade. When it comes to resale, these subgrades can matter. A BGS 9.5 that is 9/9.5/9.5/9.5, will generally sell for less than one that is 10/9.5/9.5/9.5. A BGS 10 is AMAZING! A .25 card can sell for $50 - 100. And even the subgrade of 10, increases the value. It is also very helpful when evaluating your card for submission. Hmm, this card looks perfect to me, but let me really look at the edges, really examine the surface, and pay attention to whether or not this has 50/50 centering or 55/45. Beckett makes that stuff matter, and that makes it better. I also prefer the thicker slab. PSA cases feel cheap.

I would of course love to see a better registry and consistent labeling. Collectors tend to be anal about those things, and I'm not exception. I don't like having a collection with various label types. Can't exactly unring that bell though.

In terms of value discrepancy, I think that one main reason PSA 10's will sell higher than BGS 9.5's, is that while both are noted as Gem Mint, 10 is better than 9.5 in the eyes of most people. Even though the grade is equal, and possibly even more difficult to earn via BGS, 10 is higher, so it's better where many people are concerned. The registry was another good point made earlier, which I agree with. I also think that going back to my point about collectors being anal about consistency, that we tend to find many more PSA cards, which means people can build collections much more easily within PSA, and therefore more people will seek out PSA cards. Particularly when it's PSA vs BVG. Try to build a 1977 Topps Yankee set of purchased (as opposed to submitted) BVG cards. Near impossible. PSA, in a month or two you will be done.

In the end I think Beckett is superior, but the sheer volume of PSA cards on the market, reduces the comparative value of the BGS cards, simply because consistent set or collection building is done more easily with PSA.

(04-26-2012, 08:51 AM)greco827 Wrote: Not because I am some Beckett loyalist
I feel as though this was directed at me.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(04-26-2012, 09:24 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: I feel as though this was directed at me.
Not at all, just making a point early that I don't prefer Beckett Grading without actual reasons, i.e, no "just because" arguments.

(04-26-2012, 09:33 AM)greco827 Wrote: Not at all, just making a point early that I don't prefer Beckett Grading without actual reasons, i.e, no "just because" arguments.
Oh. Ok cool. Thanks for the explanation.

(04-26-2012, 08:51 AM)greco827 Wrote: Just to toss my two cents in ... I prefer BGS. Not because I am some Beckett loyalist who will follow them to the depths of hell, but because regardless of resale values they tend to bring on ebay, I think that overall they offer a superior service. The subgrades and half grades are without question, in my mind at least, a massive improvement over PSA's whole numbers and no subgrades. I like to know where cards got penalized on their overall grade. When it comes to resale, these subgrades can matter. A BGS 9.5 that is 9/9.5/9.5/9.5, will generally sell for less than one that is 10/9.5/9.5/9.5. A BGS 10 is AMAZING! A .25 card can sell for $50 - 100. And even the subgrade of 10, increases the value. It is also very helpful when evaluating your card for submission. Hmm, this card looks perfect to me, but let me really look at the edges, really examine the surface, and pay attention to whether or not this has 50/50 centering or 55/45. Beckett makes that stuff matter, and that makes it better. I also prefer the thicker slab. PSA cases feel cheap.

I would of course love to see a better registry and consistent labeling. Collectors tend to be anal about those things, and I'm not exception. I don't like having a collection with various label types. Can't exactly unring that bell though.

In terms of value discrepancy, I think that one main reason PSA 10's will sell higher than BGS 9.5's, is that while both are noted as Gem Mint, 10 is better than 9.5 in the eyes of most people. Even though the grade is equal, and possibly even more difficult to earn via BGS, 10 is higher, so it's better where many people are concerned. The registry was another good point made earlier, which I agree with. I also think that going back to my point about collectors being anal about consistency, that we tend to find many more PSA cards, which means people can build collections much more easily within PSA, and therefore more people will seek out PSA cards. Particularly when it's PSA vs BVG. Try to build a 1977 Topps Yankee set of purchased (as opposed to submitted) BVG cards. Near impossible. PSA, in a month or two you will be done.

In the end I think Beckett is superior, but the sheer volume of PSA cards on the market, reduces the comparative value of the BGS cards, simply because consistent set or collection building is done more easily with PSA.
Thanks for the well thought out post. Every collector is open to their own opinion and I see your reasoning on why you prefer BGS over other graders. You didnt falsley accuse another company and provided a good train of thought to your opinions. I respect your opinion.

See we can all get along.

Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

I appreciate the positive feedback. If opinions remain objective, and have actual fact behind them, people tend to be far more responsive and less defensive in their replies. In the case of PSA vs BGS, I think higher supply actually means higher demand, which goes against conventional wisdom, but people who collect things tend to be obsessive about it, and so conventional wisdom doesn't apply to us.

(04-26-2012, 09:52 AM)sonnyday Wrote: Thanks for the well thought out post. Every collector is open to their own opinion and I see your reasoning on why you prefer BGS over other graders. You didnt falsley accuse another company and provided a good train of thought to your opinions. I respect your opinion.

See we can all get along.
Fully agree. Great post with well articulated reasoning.

Additionally, I agree with you about the labeling. The company I use has had I believe three different variations since their existence, four if you count their precursor grading company that was out around '96. It's one of those things that ultimately doesn't matter but just looks better if they are all the same.

i've had cards graded by psa bgs and sgc. i'm sticking with bgs. the cases look nicer and are sturdier but basically i trust the grade more. i was at a show looking to by a getzlaf graded card. this guy had tons of psa graded cards of all sports and some beckett. he had a 10 getzlaf that i had every intention of buying but it just wasn't a 10. there was obvious corner wear to the naked eye from a distance. it's a card i wouldn't even send in and if i did expect more than an 8. now i understand that dealers that send in tons of cards are going to have their share of bumped up cards for doing lots of business and i'm sure all the companies do this but come on have some respect for the industry and collectors. i agree with rusty in that there is more money to be made on having that 10 on your card in some cases. people will pay 10's of thousands more for a creased mantle in a 10 case than a beauty in an 8. they look at the number not the card. these are investor/collectors i'm talking about not the true collectors but today it's really all the same thing today and i must say i look at my cards as anywhere from pocket change to benjamins Smile

I wish Beckett would get going with re-launching the registry. I do believe that Beckett's lack of a registry compared to PSA does play a role in the differences in value seen on Ebay. I mainly collect basketball and have been collecting high grade 1986 fleer cards for years. I can remember when 1986 fleer BGS 9.5 cards sold at prices higher than 1986 fleer PSA 10's. I took a break from collecting for a couple years and I was shocked this summer when I saw that BGS 9.5's were selling for around 60-80% of PSA 10's.

I am unsure of why the prices for BGS 9.5's have come down in the last two years while the PSA 10's have stayed relatively stable but I certainly think the lack of a working registry plays a role. I do know that I have started collecting 1961 Fleer basketball and I have a bunch of raw cards that I want to submit but I am having an internal debate on whether to send to PSA or BGS. Part of my concern is over the price/value difference of equally graded cards but the other part is that I feel registries are fun for set builders and the lack of a registry is a real downer for BGS/BVG grading.

Are there any threads or petitions from Beckett members that I could join to push Beckett into moving forward with their registry?

I think now is the time for me to talk. Back last month I went to the Beckett/JSA Open House. While I was there I talked with them about the Registry or lack there of. The Registry is Mark Anderson's (Director of Grading) pet project. The Registry is indeed coming back!!

Thanks & GOD Bless,
Jason