Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

RE: Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor
Hello,

I am trying to find out about the rarity of my 2010 Topps Chrome card no. 110 - Chipper Jones with a Scott Sizemore front (175). I find no listing of an error card.

Can you help me out and possibly get this listed?

Thanks

rclarkdeuce

(09-19-2012, 09:59 AM)rclarkdeuce Wrote: Hello,

I am trying to find out about the rarity of my 2010 Topps Chrome card no. 110 - Chipper Jones with a Scott Sizemore front (175). I find no listing of an error card.

Can you help me out and possibly get this listed?

Thanks

rclarkdeuce
it's not an error card, but rather, a printing flaw. for most people, this hurts the value of the card. you may find a chipper fan who might want it, but dont expect a premium (maybe a dollar).

it is just a typical "wrong back" card. these were common in the overproduced years in the late 80's and 90's, and now that topps is upping production over the past couple years (due to strasberg and harper), the printing flaws are also increasing
(09-11-2012, 03:41 AM)trayelfstrom Wrote: Hi Chris,

The third is actually a playing card. a 1992 Major League Baseball Aces Jack of Diamonds, made by the U.S. Playing Card Company. Is there any listings for these type of cards on beckett?

I will try to attach photos of them here
here are the griffey playing cards:

http://www.beckett.com/search/#term=griffey%20playing

Suggestion for whoever does the BPG "big book". Instead of having to decide what sets get included in the book every year, maybe break it down into 2 books now. Vintage(pre 80s or so) and newer. I got back in to collecting after about 20 years and am extremely frustrated with the new book. Cards that used to be popular are nowhere to be found...Topps Big, Nolan Ryan Whataburger set, any "food" sets for that matter,Topps teams, oh the list goes on and on.

(09-04-2012, 07:28 PM)gulfvet90 Wrote: Hey Chris,
Trying to track down an insert set. 1992 or 93 Donruss Gallery of Stars. It mimick the Diamond Kings with artwork from Perez. I have attached a scan of one of the cards. I have looked in OPG, the Almanic and Alphabit Checklist Almanac.. Thanks
These are inserts from Triple Play, a set produced by Donruss in 1992, 1993 and 1994.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(10-25-2012, 01:04 PM)ktstockham Wrote: Suggestion for whoever does the BPG "big book". Instead of having to decide what sets get included in the book every year, maybe break it down into 2 books now. Vintage(pre 80s or so) and newer. I got back in to collecting after about 20 years and am extremely frustrated with the new book. Cards that used to be popular are nowhere to be found...Topps Big, Nolan Ryan Whataburger set, any "food" sets for that matter,Topps teams, oh the list goes on and on.
It's been discussed. However, the easiest way to find everything is on the website -- where everything is included.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

(10-27-2012, 11:24 AM)chrisolds Wrote: It's been discussed. However, the easiest way to find everything is on the website -- where everything is included.
I'd love to but I collect baseball and hockey and my hubby collects football and basketball, so we'd have to get the total access and that is waaaay out of our budget Sad

Hi Chris,

Not sure this is up your alley but I've run into a deadend looking for a source for minor league box scores from 1988. I'm a supercollector of Ken Griffey, Jr. game and HR tickets (majors, minors and spring training) and I have a number of them that I am trying to match up with games that Griffey played.

Specifically, I'm looking for the 1988 San Bernardino Spirit and the 1988 Vermont Mariners games/box scores. Additionally, I'd like to find the 1988 box scores for the Mariners Spring Training games at Tempe Diablo Stadium that year.

Anything you can do to point me in the right direction would be most helpful. Online searches and stalking newspaper archives has been a bust. Thanks in advance!!

Hey Chris,
looking for info on an artist Anthony Douglas. An ebay auction has an Litho from Douglas. The seller has a short Bio on Douglas and it mention he was on a cover of Beckett and he was also spotlighted in Beckett's May 1993 issue "Future Stars"

Mike

P.S. saw the youtube video with the guy paying 9K for the sealed 1986 Fleer basketball Box. LOL you might have a career as a reporter...

Hey Chris,

Non card question, where do you think Nick Swisher will end up next year?
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

(12-03-2012, 07:19 PM)gulfvet90 Wrote: Hey Chris,
looking for info on an artist Anthony Douglas. An ebay auction has an Litho from Douglas. The seller has a short Bio on Douglas and it mention he was on a cover of Beckett and he was also spotlighted in Beckett's May 1993 issue "Future Stars"

Mike

P.S. saw the youtube video with the guy paying 9K for the sealed 1986 Fleer basketball Box. LOL you might have a career as a reporter...
Actually I worked in newspapers for a decade-plus before coming to Beckett. Been there, done that to a degree -- thankfully never as just a reporter. I was a columnist (aka a reporter who writes long) who wrote about cards and did desk work and design, too.
(12-05-2012, 03:33 PM)stera8 Wrote: Hey Chris,

Non card question, where do you think Nick Swisher will end up next year?
I dunno. I have basically watched and not gotten my hopes up ... we'll see when it happens.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)