`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The official BMB Error Variation discussion and reference thread!

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread!
I won't be able to post pics for a couple more days (hopefully by monday I'll have my computer alive and well). Don't forget all of the '98 Topps Finest Mystery Finest variations.

They only list
Base
Refractor

There are:

Base
Refractor number identified with 'R'
Refractor number identified with 'Refractor'
Refractor identified with 'R' with no refraction

TNP777 Wrote:
jacksoncoupage Wrote:Also, what is the 1982 Topps "Blue Line"? Is it referring to the color bars on front? Could this variation possibly affect Sax's Dodger Rookies card?
All I know is what I saw. Way back in the day, I met (online) this other Butler collector named Terry Tu. He wasn't just interested in one example of each card, like I am. He had a true man crush and was collecting mass quantities of every card he could. At any rate, he had a few scans up, and his card of the Butler/Bedrosian/Owens RC clearly had blue lines instead of the traditional green. I've looked at hundreds of Butler's RC over the years and haven't heard of or seen of another. To quite quite honest, I've started to doubt myself and whether I saw what I saw. Perhaps Terry just had a funky scanner, but I remember at the time how shocked I was that the lines were so blue. Several years ago, I tried to find the dude again, but maybe he lost his man crush and moved on.

Interesting stuff. I have always been intrigued by the 1982 Topps Prospects cards, I know the blue jays one has a green/purple color combo and all the other have green/purple/blue. There have been plenty of Topps variations from the 70's and 80's on ebay that I have seen just the one copy of. I also definitely know what it's like to chase a card you have almost no visual confirmation of. I have the gray cardstock ** Butler for you. I used make lots on ebay years ago of the 1990 and 1991 Topps grayback asterisk pairs and I know I sold a few Butlers. The trouble with those asterisks is that you just have to happen to hit two boxes with each type in it. You can buy 5 boxes and only get * or ** types. I may be able to locate your Mother's cookies butlers as well. I'll check at my shops for McGwire, Butler, Clark, Ryan(s) and any other guys for 1991 Upper Deck hologram varieties and 1992 Leaf BG INC. cards.

double post

jacksoncoupage Wrote:I have the gray cardstock ** Butler for you.......I may be able to locate your Mother's cookies butlers as well. I'll check at my shops for McGwire, Butler, Clark, Ryan(s) and any other guys for 1991 Upper Deck hologram varieties and 1992 Leaf BG INC. cards.
Thanks! :d

jacksoncoupage Wrote:[quote=radarblip]...and I have my own theory about the 1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF that didn't show up in the market until 1993)
This card has always left a bad taste with me, it is just a printing error akin to a blackless card. I first saw these late in 1990 when a dealer had three of them for $10 a piece. I thought that was too much back then (and really still do). People have said they show up in late Xmas sets, I don't know but I did see them in late 1990.

Another "error" card I have issue with is the 2002 Vintage #274 Home Run Leaders error. I think is way more common than reported. There were at least two different printers used to print the entire run of cards. You can tell the difference because the cards printed from one of them are a darker yellow. (Another something to look at for player collectors). I have pulled both variations from the same box and believe the error to be printed in equal quantity as the correct card. I guess it irks me because UD said this was corrected very early in the print run, obviously to get people to rip Vintage.

jacksoncoupage Wrote:I'll check at my shops for McGwire, Butler, Clark, Ryan(s) and any other guys for 1991 Upper Deck hologram varieties and 1992 Leaf BG INC. cards.
That would be fantastic!

What a great thread. This is the absolute best of this message board...

Ok, can anyone confirm this is an example of the 1992 Bowman Gold variations? I've got maybe a dozen or so, and all but two are like the example on the top. Two are like the example on the bottom. The difference is relatively minor, but obvious. In the bottom version, there is significant more room between the top of Will's helmet and the border. There is also a slight difference in the left-to-right cropping, but it's harder to see. You can see it in the difference in the space between Will's back and the border on the right side. Perhaps other player cropping variations are more obvious, but this one would be pretty tough to identify on its own.

[Image: 1992BowmanVariation.jpg]

Thrill, can you put the Clark cards side by side and repost?

Yeah you can tell from the bottom right hand corner how off the patterns are

Thrill 22 Wrote:Ok, can anyone confirm this is an example of the 1992 Bowman Gold variations? I've got maybe a dozen or so, and all but two are like the example on the top. Two are like the example on the bottom. The difference is relatively minor, but obvious. In the bottom version, there is significant more room between the top of Will's helmet and the border. There is also a slight difference in the left-to-right cropping, but it's harder to see. You can see it in the difference in the space between Will's back and the border on the right side. Perhaps other player cropping variations are more obvious, but this one would be pretty tough to identify on its own.

[Image: 1992BowmanVariation.jpg]
Yeah, these affect all the non-"SP" foils from that set. I just purchased 2 uncut (and unfoiled) 1992 Bowman sheets and you will find that some cards show up twice on the sheets. Those that show up twice can be found in each cropping variety on the same sheet.

It's too bad the sheets arrived completely creased. I don't think a single card is not creased to some extent. I was planning on having them professionally cut because the 1992 Foils look really nice as non-foils (they look like base bowman but still it makes a nice variation). I'll be sending them back shortly.