`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Knowledge is power

Knowledge is power
Hey guys, going on a little info rant. It's meant to be respectful and non-political. To me this is a moral issue, and while I'm not afraid to offend people by speaking truth, I don't want to purposely do it if there's no point to it. To me, football, or any sport, and this hobby, should be something that can bring all fans together, whether a kid, or an adult. I'd love to see dads with their sons trading cards in the local LCS on a Saturday morning, bringing a love for the sport and it's history to a new generation. This leads me to jump on people in card groups who use profanity or inappropriate content as I know that there are a few kids in the groups. Yes, I get ridiculed and made fun of for that. Whatever. I'm veering off topic. 

The issue I want to focus on today is the National Anthem, and the Flag of the United States. From the looks of it, we are in for massive player protests kneeling. It makes me sick. But what the past few weeks have shown me is that those against protesting during the Anthem in front of the flag don't seem to really grasp what they stand for either, which leads to a lot of confusion. I'm very sick, and my brain is cloudy today, so I hope I can put forth a compelling explanation that leads us all to stand as one. 

The protesting players constantly say their protests have nothing to do with the anthem or the flag. My question to them then is, why there? They have multiple avenues to use their inflated status and voices to impact and attempt to bring about change. I can think of a few ways they could still get their protests seen on live TV, and in ways that, while I may not agree with their stances, logic, or ideology, I could be fine with their free speech. 

Those against the protesting seem to base if all off of disrespect to the military and police. I think they are wrong as well, though to a lesser degree. It is indeed insulting to some military members and first responders, but there's a bigger reason to not be protesting. 

The Anthem and Flag do not stand for the military or police. They stand for all the values that make America the greatest and most free country on the planet. Those values are enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights..." They are further expanded upon in the Bill or Rights. While some of these fell short at the original ratification, they  have since been amended. This is what the American Flag and Anthem stand for. So by using this platform to protest, the message they send is that they are protesting the very things that they say they want more of. They can say it's not about the flag all they want, but that's the platform they are using. 

The bowing down of players that I have long been fans of and looked up to, like J.J Watt and Drew Brees are extremely frustrating to me. Granted, I believe ignorance of the true meaning of the Flag and Anthem are what is driving the vicious attacks and capitulations against and by players who would normally lead their team, their communities, and their fans as examples to follow and emulate. But I am finding it very difficult to justify supporting the NFL in any capacity right now. It's killing me. Football has always been my thing. I love the game, the fantasy football, the cards, everything! But now I'm being put on the spot as to whether I, personally, have to choose to either accept and comply with the ignorance, or make a stand for what I believe in. It's too early yet for me to say I'll quit football. Maybe reason will triumph before the season starts. 

Like I said, I don't mean this to be a political statement, but merely my thoughts, and a piece of what the Flag and the Anthem actually stand for, and why its ironic and hypocritical to use it as a protesting platform. I hope that my explanation can help anyone uncertain of what is going on, or on the fence, to understand what they really represent, and why it is not a place to protest. There are many ways we can all work together and use our voices to change the injustices that we still see today without disrespecting the very values that have changed the course of the world. 

God bless the USA!
SavageNate

RE: Knowledge is power
It is very difficult to say anything without being blasted by somebody with a difference of opinion or stance, so I respect your willingness to speak up for what you believe. I am also confused how the American Flag represents any inkling of injustice or inequality. How did this happen?

I am a veteran who was able to live through my military career. Many gave their life to protect and represent our flag...do we disrespect and ignore their sacrifice??! No way!!

I was very disappointed to hear that Bill O'Brien, head coach of Texans, has already announced he will kneel during National Anthem. Is it because he is afraid of being accused as a racist or actually for his own misguided reason??

Maybe our nation's history will be taken out of books from fear of upsetting one person!

kerryandbeth Wrote:It is very difficult to say anything without being blasted by somebody with a difference of opinion or stance, so I respect your willingness to speak up for what you believe.  I am also confused how the American Flag represents any inkling of injustice or inequality.  How did this happen?

I am a veteran who was able to live through my military career.  Many gave their life to protect and represent our flag...do we disrespect and ignore their sacrifice??!  No way!!

I was very disappointed to hear that Bill O'Brien, head coach of Texans, has already announced he will kneel during National Anthem.  Is it because he is afraid of being accused as a racist or actually for his own misguided reason??

Maybe our nation's history will be taken out of books from fear of upsetting one person!
Thanks. I agree. O'Brian was on thin ice in the locker room this year, so like Brees, he had to cave or risk losing the team. I'd rather lose the team or respect than compromise my beliefs. I hope they figure out a different way to use their voices so I can keep watching football!

And, not least, thank you for your service!

(06-14-2020, 11:19 AM)savagenate Wrote: The protesting players constantly say their protests have nothing to do with the anthem or the flag. My question to them then is, why there? They have multiple avenues to use their inflated status and voices to impact and attempt to bring about change.
They may have other avenues but seems like doing it there is the biggest platform possible. I don't know where else they can get a message out that would reach those who don't already agree with them.

Interestingly enough, before 2009 players would stay in their locker rooms while the National Anthem would play. NFL could have avoided all of this if they didn't trot the players out. https://www.axios.com/the-history-of-sin...8e712.html

I mean, it's not like the NFL couldn't say they didn't know that something like this could happen. Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was suspended by the Denver Nuggets back in 1996 for sitting during the anthem. http://www.thepostgame.com/mahmoud-abdul...ick-anthem

Gotta go with Larson on this. They may have other avenues, but this one is "tried and true". They know it gets attention, so why try something else that may or may not be as effective?

Protests aren't meant to be butterflies and rainbows. If they don't ruffle feathers, there's no point.

Couldn't Rosa Parks have done something besides not getting up on that bus? Couldn't Martin Luther King Jr. have done some things a bit less radical?
Collect BARRY SANDERS, Tom Brady, Bama Alums and Randy Moss
[Image: cfFrftN.png]
I only give DC for trades over $50

Rosa stood up for rights by sitting down and Martin stood up for rights by marching, so neither ever kneeled.

I'm with Larson on this one.

[Image: John_Carlos%2C_Tommie_Smith%2C_Peter_Norman_1968cr.jpg]

The platform is to be used as a voice. Especially with the injustices that are STILL going on til' this day. 
I mean DANG, it's 2020.  Angry
It was NEVER about the flag as stated many, many, many times.  Angel
I'm a veteran as well and COMPLETELY understand the message. SILENT one at that.
Now with media twisting the narrative & trying to make it a political thing is nonsense.
It's crazy to me how people don't get the simple concept of "Divide & Conquer". 

The fact that the NFL was paid by the military to make it more patriotic is WAY overlooked.
It's about money, as is everything else these days.
Wants:
2006 Bowman Sterling Red Refractors #RB1 JSY Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 SP Authentic Rookie Autographed NFL Logo Patches #252 JSY AU Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 Topps Red Hot Rookies Autographs #RB Reggie Bush/10

I cannot stand injustice and unprovoked judgment. We have to accept the differences and coexist. What bothers me is the agenda of the media to agitate and stir the pot and upset people enough to publicly take a stand in controversial situations.

jplarson Wrote:They may have other avenues but seems like doing it there is the biggest platform possible.  I don't know where else they can get a message out that would reach those who don't already agree with them. 

Interestingly enough, before 2009 players would stay in their locker rooms while the National Anthem would play.  NFL could have avoided all of this if they didn't trot the players out.  https://www.axios.com/the-history-of-sin...8e712.html

I mean, it's not like the NFL couldn't say they didn't know that something like this could happen.  Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was suspended by the Denver Nuggets back in 1996 for sitting during the anthem.  http://www.thepostgame.com/mahmoud-abdul...ick-anthem
Yeah, and I think the players should be on the field for it. But it would've been smart for them to go back to that a couple years ago. Now if they do it, they'll be called racist, so now we'll be stuck with the protests.