`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Trout rookie cards

Question about Trout rookie cards
I know 2011 was the year of his rookie cards. My question is this: Why wasn't there a Bowman rookie card? There was Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft and Bowman Chrome Draft but no Bowman.

RE: Question about Trout rookie cards
(03-30-2020, 10:14 AM)cspen Wrote: I know 2011 was the year of his rookie cards. My question is this: Why wasn't there a Bowman rookie card? There was Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft and Bowman Chrome Draft but no Bowman.
The regular Bowman set is typically released earlier in the year than Chrome and Draft. In 2011, Trout was not called up until sometime in July after regular Bowman was released. Not sure if that is the reason or not but could be.
I collect Allen & Ginter, Aroldis Chapman, Yoan Moncada, and Cuban Players!

(03-30-2020, 12:49 PM)ThomasAA23 Wrote: The regular Bowman set is typically released earlier in the year than Chrome and Draft. In 2011, Trout was not called up until sometime in July after regular Bowman was released. Not sure if that is the reason or not but could be.
I thought about that but does that mean that all 26 players with rookie cards in that set started the season in the major leagues?

(03-30-2020, 03:54 PM)cspen Wrote: I thought about that but does that mean that all 26 players with rookie cards in that set started the season in the major leagues?
Potentially not, they could have been strong favourites to make the team and didn't or played well at the end of the previous year or however Topps decides who gets a RC.

I'm also surprised that he wasn't in Topps series 2.

(03-31-2020, 02:04 PM)cspen Wrote: I'm also surprised that he wasn't in Topps series 2.
I do not know this as factual, but I suspect that series I is planned and put to press way before spring training begins. I suspect that series 2 begins production either just before or right when spring training starts. Production time has to be done so far in advance that there is little they can change, with the exception of adding a #661 ssp card into series 1 or 2 (I think they did that with either Harper or Darvish circa 2012/2013)
Series 1, Opening Day, and Heritage are on the shelves before the regular season starts. The only Topps general releases after the season are GQ, A&G, Archives. I am sure I am missing some Topps and all the Bowman products. But you kinda know what I am getting at. The only series that can really monitor the seasons progression is Update, which I suspect starts production immediately after the All Star Game.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

So, does everybody think that Trout's success was a surprise? That's why he wasn't in any early 2011 cards? I mean he had prospect cards the year before.

(04-01-2020, 07:36 PM)cspen Wrote: So, does everybody think that Trout's success was a surprise? That's why he wasn't in any early 2011 cards? I mean he had prospect cards the year before.
Bryce Harper was the golden child and the hype machine was going full tilt boogie on him. Trout was not a surprise to me, once I saw him play against the Yankees. But maybe being on the west coast kept him from being in the spotlight and Harper-hype overshadowed Trout a little?
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(04-01-2020, 09:21 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Bryce Harper was the golden child and the hype machine was going full tilt boogie on him. Trout was not a surprise to me, once I saw him play against the Yankees. But maybe being on the west coast kept him from being in the spotlight and Harper-hype overshadowed Trout a little?
Lots of hype on Harper. Trout was always pegged to be a good player, well-above average in the minors and I think he was ranked high on prospect lists (top 10ish). Though I don't think he was ever thought of as the next greatest.

During his first call up in 2011, he did not hit well and was sent back down for a bit before being recalled again.

(04-01-2020, 09:41 PM)ThomasAA23 Wrote: Lots of hype on Harper. Trout was always pegged to be a good player, well-above average in the minors and I think he was ranked high on prospect lists (top 10ish). Though I don't think he was ever thought of as the next greatest.
During his first call up in 2011, he did not hit well and was sent back down for a bit before being recalled again.
Matter of fact... I just found an old 2011 all star ballot and Trout is not listed (neither is Harper). So once again, 2011 Trout was still under the radar mid-season. I believe after the All Star game he started to tear things up and eventually became rookie of the year.
I still remember there was talk in 2012 about Trout gaining some weight in the off season and speculation that he would not be as fast on the base-paths or in the field ... and like so many ROY winners, the next year very few could fulfill the expectations. Boy, were they wrong.