`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The HOF is...

RE: The HOF is...
(01-23-2020, 08:52 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: So why does it matter if he didn't get one more vote? He's in the HOF and had a very HOF worthy career. Very classy guy. In 10-15 years, nobody's going to remember he didn't get 100% (without doing research). People will remember his playing career and probably his induction into Cooperstown. Who cares if it wasn't 100%?
100% agree with this. Bottom line, does it really matter? It's not like they have a special wing in the HOF for people at or above a certain voting percentage and the vote total most certainly is not posted on their plaque. I think it's actually pretty silly to get upset about it.

I didn't know their vote percentages until I just looked it up:

Mantle: 88.22%
Ruth: 95.13%
Mays: 94.68%
Williams: 93.38%
Wagner: 95.13%

This is just a smattering of some of the players who didn't get 100% of the vote. Many people feel that Wagner is, arguably, the best SS to ever play. Does Jeter deserve a higher vote percentage than the players listed above? I don't think so. Nor do I think it matters.

With that said, to be a voter for the HOF I believe is a special honor. Instead of just having voters check off a box, I'd also like to see something else included as to a why/why not explanation given for each player on the list by the voter.

See my post on page #3.
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

TONIGHT on SNL Weekend Update : (paraphrasing here)
"Derek Jeter, only 1 vote short of unanimous election into the Baseball Hall of Fame!
This answers the question, Did Jeter ever sleep with a sportswriter's wife? "
LOL
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Maybe the guy who didn't vote for Jeter figured he would get in and decided to cast that vote for someone who was close and thought his vote would put him over.

(01-26-2020, 01:02 PM)cspen Wrote: Maybe the guy who didn't vote for Jeter figured he would get in and decided to cast that vote for someone who was close and thought his vote would put him over.
It's either a Marlins writer or somebody sent in a blank ballot. Only plausible explanation!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

I like the golf hall of fame, which I know is much easier to quantify, win this many tourneys and you're in!

(01-23-2020, 12:22 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: Last thing: My son thinks the highest integrity of a HOF is hockey..more selective and meaningful..anyone think that??
Thanks,
- Steve

(01-24-2020, 11:48 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: 100% agree with this. Bottom line, does it really matter? It's not like they have a special wing in the HOF for people at or above a certain voting percentage and the vote total most certainly is not posted on their plaque. I think it's actually pretty silly to get upset about it.

I didn't know their vote percentages until I just looked it up:

Mantle: 88.22%
Ruth: 95.13%
Mays: 94.68%
Williams: 93.38%
Wagner: 95.13%

This is just a smattering of some of the players who didn't get 100% of the vote. Many people feel that Wagner is, arguably, the best SS to ever play. Does Jeter deserve a higher vote percentage than the players listed above? I don't think so. Nor do I think it matters.

With that said, to be a voter for the HOF I believe is a special honor. Instead of just having voters check off a box, I'd also like to see something else included as to a why/why not explanation given for each player on the list by the voter.
Ruth, 95 percent, LOL

What the hell else was he supposed to accomplish?

(01-27-2020, 06:34 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Ruth, 95 percent, LOL

What the hell else was he supposed to accomplish?
He shouldn't have gotten thrown out trying to steal second base to end the 1926 World Series.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Well, I get the thought process about Jeter not deserving to get 100% of the vote if Wagner didn't get it and he was a better player, but Wagner not getting 100% of the vote is a joke, too.

Ruth not getting 100% of the vote is a joke.

Let's be real... Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Sisler, and so on. They should have all gotten 100% of the vote.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

Honestly, I get that everyone loves Mariano, and rightfully so, but I think many other players deserved 100 percent long before he did.

I mean, does/did anyone reaaalllly think that Mays, Williams, Ruth, etc. were NOT Hall of Famers?