`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.77 Average
Zeprock Collection

RE: Zeprock Collection
I was born on Mt. Desert Island in Maine and except for the two years of 1979 - 1980, I've lived here all of my life. Maine is a mostly quiet and beautiful state, hence our nickname, Vacationland. We're known for our rocky coastline, rolling mountains, forests, sparkling rivers, streams, ponds, lakes and of course our delicious seafood, especially lobster. Many people think that Maine is part of Canada because we are so far north. Did you know that Maine is the only state that is one syllable and the only state that borders only one other state? Trivia to impress your friends there.

Unlike most states, not many MLB players have come from Maine. For today's oddball post, I thought I'd feature nine Maine-born players that made it to the Majors with these cards from my collection.

1962 Topps #174B Carl Willey w/Cap (I featured a card of Mr. Willey way back in post #153 when I showed you some in-person autographed cards from my collection. Carl was from Cherryfield, Maine and went to the same high school as my grandfather. He pitched for the Milwaukee Braves and for the worst New York Mets team of all-time. After his playing days were over, he served as a scout for the Phillies. He passed away in 2009 in the town right next door to where I live.)
1966 Topps #414 Dan Coombs (Danny Coombs was the first player I was aware of that came from Maine when I flipped over his 1971 card after pulling it from a pack and noticed his home was in Brewer, Maine. That was someplace I had been often as it was very close to where I grew up. He was born in Lincoln, Maine, a town known for its paper mill back in the day before all the mills closed down. I was there two days ago shooting a commercial for work. Danny had a nine-year career pitching for the Colt 45's, Astros and Padres.)
1972 Topps #403 John Cumberland (John was born in Westbook in the southern part of the state and went on to play seven years for the Yankees, Giants, Cardinals and Angels. In the 1990s he acted as a pitching coach for the Red Sox and then the Royals.)

1982 Red Sox Coke #18 Bob Stanley ("The Stanley Steamer" was from Portland, Maine and is probably known as the state's most successful alum when it comes to MLB since he pitched his entire 13-year career with the Red Sox and is a member of the Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame. To date he is the only Maine-born player to be elected to a MLB All-star game.)
1984 Brewers Gardner's #10 Pete Ladd (Pete Ladd was also born in Portland and pitched for the Astros, Brewers and Mariners. He was originally drafted by the Red Sox and was traded to the Astros for Bob Watson back in 1979.)
1986 Expos Provigo Panels #16 Bert Roberge (Bert is from Lewiston, Maine, a city that my parents lived in and my Dad was executive director of their Rescue Mission back before they both passed. My three sisters still live in the Lewiston area. Bert still lives in neighboring Auburn.)

1992 Bowman #611 Bill Swift FOIL (Bill Swift is a couple of years younger than I am and was born in Portland. I remember him attending the University of Maine in Orono where he was a standout star who appeared to be headed for a Major League career and in actuality, with regards to Stanley, is the state's most accomplished MLBer. After pitching for the 1984 U.S. Olympic Team, he was a first round draft pick by the Mariners. He would go on to pitch for the Mariners, Giants and Rockies and finished his career just six wins short of 100. He was inducted into the inaugural class of the New England Baseball Hall of Fame. Ironically Swift's career numbers were extremely similar to those of a 1930's pitcher also named Bill Swift.)
2001 Fleer Platinum #17 Matt Kinney (Matt Kinney was born in Bangor, Maine, the town I grew up on the outskirts of and still work in today. Matt went to Bangor High School, the same school my wife graduated from albeit a couple decades prior to Matt. He pitched for the Twins, Brewers, Royals and Giants and then a season in Japan. He gave up Barry Bonds' 660th home run that tied him with Willie Mays.)
2008 Razor Signature Series #35 Ryan Flaherty (Other than Bert Roberge, Ryan is the only other non-pitcher featured in this particular post. Ryan is from Portland as well. Portland is Maine's largest city. He played for the Orioles, Braves and Indians and is currently a coach for the Padres. He is married to the sister of Nick Markakis' wife.)
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Ernie Banks led the NL in Home Runs twice and RBI twice. He was an 11-time All-star, won a Gold Glove Award and two Most Valuable Player Awards but he never got to play in a World Series. That's a shame. One of the more delightful players that reached legendary status, Ernie's famous saying was, "Let's play two!" because he loved to play ball. Some nicknamed him "Mr. Sunshine" while many others simply knew him as "Mr. Cub". He played his entire MLB career with the Chicago Cubs after one season in the Negro Leagues with the Kansas City Monarchs. I currently have 341 Beckett recognized cards of Ernie including these nine vintage.

1957 Topps #55 Ernie Banks
1958 Topps #310 Ernie Banks
1959 Topps #350 Ernie Banks

1960 Topps #10 Ernie Banks
1962 Topps #25 Ernie Banks
1964 Topps #55 Ernie Banks

1965 Topps #510 Ernie Banks
1966 Topps #110 Ernie Banks
1967 Topps #215 Ernie Banks
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

In 2004 the most remarkable thing happened. The Red Sox won the World Series! My grandfather never saw that happen. My Dad never saw that happen. It was amazing here in New England. The Red Sox radio announcers came to Bangor, Maine the following winter and brought the World Series trophy with them and I had my photo taken with it. Here are nine cards from my collection, all issued in 2004 including three memorabilia cards of my favorite Red Sox player of all-time.

2004 Diamond Kings DK Materials Framed Silver #49 Vladimir Guerrero Bat-Jsy/25
2004 Donruss Classics Legendary Jerseys Material #27 Carl Yastrzemski/50
2004 Donruss Classics Membership VIP Combos Material #8 Carl Yastrzemski Bat-Jsy/25

2004 Donruss Timelines Recollection Autographs #921 Joe Morgan 85/10
2004 Fleer InScribed Names of the Game Material Blue #GM Greg Maddux Jsy
2004 Greats of the Game Autographs #TG Tony Gwynn E1

2004 SkyBox Autographics Signatures Silver #BL Barry Larkin
2004 SP Legendary Cuts Autographs #JS Joe Sewell/199
(I got this from aprirr.)
2004 Topps Tribute HOF Relics #CYU Carl Yastrzemski Uni E

Rod Carew is a member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame, the Caribbean Baseball Hall of Fame, the Minnesota Twins Hall of Fame and the Angels Hall of Fame. Only Ty Cobb won more AL Batting titles than Rod's seven. He appeared in 18 All-star games in a row and was an AL MVP. He was one of the greatest contact hitters of all-time. I currently have 355 different Beckett recognized cards of Rod Carew including these nine.

1968 Topps #80 Rod Carew
1969 Topps #510 Rod Carew
1970 Topps #290 Rod Carew

1971 Topps #210 Rod Carew
1972 Topps #696 Rod Carew IA
2002 Topps Archives Seat Relics #TSRRC Rod Carew 77 B (Incorporating a slice of a seat from the Twins home park.)

2004 Leaf Certified Materials Fabric of the Game AL/NL #104 Rod Carew sy/100
2005 Leaf Certified Materials Fabric of the Game Position #106 Rod Carew Jsy/50
2011 ITG Heroes and Prospects Heroes Jerseys Silver #25 Rod Carew S2

Most cards are made of cardboard and have been since the beginning. At one point during this thread, I displayed nine metal cards from my collection. Today I am showing you nine cards that I have that are made out of wood.

1996 Leaf Limited Lumberjacks #8 Mike Piazza (This insert set was printed with maple stock that puts wood grains on both sides and was serial numbered to 5,000 sets. It was one of the first serial numbered sets.)
1996 Leaf Picture Perfect #3 Greg Maddux (This insert set is printed on real wood with gold foil trim and is also serial numbered to 5,000 sets.)
1996 Pinnacle Aficionado Magic Numbers #2 Greg Maddux (This 10-card insert set is printed on actual maple wood and features an embossed color action player cut-out on a wood background on the fronts.)

1997 Leaf Knot-Hole Gang #8 Cal Ripken (This die-cut card resembles a wooden fence with the player being seen in action through a knot hole and is printed on wooden card stock.)
1997 Stadium Club Firebrand Wood #F1 Jeff Bagwell (These wood cards were available via redemption from Topps Stadium Club and have die cut etching on the top.)
1997 Upper Deck Amazing Greats #AG11 Greg Maddux (These cards feature translucent player images against a real wood grain stock.)

1998 Ultra Diamond Producers #12 Tony Gwynn (The front of these cards have a color photo and foil highlights over a wood background with a felt border.)
2003 Fleer Splendid Splinters Wood #1 Derek Jeter (This ten-card set is printed on wood stock and is done in the design of the 1959 Ted Williams set.)
2013 Panini Cooperstown Lumberjacks #84 Honus Wagner (This Panini insert set is printed on wood card stock.)

zeprock Wrote:Most cards are made of cardboard and have been since the beginning. At one point during this thread, I displayed nine metal cards from my collection. Today I am showing you nine cards that I have that are made out of wood.
Really like the 2003 Jeter.  Nice Stuff!   Thanks.....
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Dennis Eckersley is a story of two careers. As a starting pitcher he won 197 games, went to a couple of All-star games and threw a no-hitter. Reinvented as a closer, he went on to save 390 games, appear in four more All-star games, became a three-time Fireman of the Year, won a MVP Award, a Cy Young Award and a World Championship. He became the first of only two pitchers in MLB history to have a 20 win season and a 50 save season in his career. He began his career with the Indians and then went to the Red Sox who traded him to the Cubs for Bill Buckner in 1984. We all know how that turned out. After being traded to the A's, manager Tony LaRussa converted him to a closer and when LaRussa eventually left Oakland to manage in St. Louis, he took Eckersley with him. A control pitcher, he walked only 16 batters during 207 innings between 1989-1991. His vernacular has achieved a life of it's own becoming known as "Eckspeak". I currently have 589 unique Beckett recognized cards of Eck. Here are nine from my collection including some vintage rookies, a food issue, some inserts, a parallel, some game-used and an autograph.

1976 Kellogg's #19 Dennis Eckersley (A rookie card pulled from a cereal box.)
1976 SSPC #506 Dennis Eckersley (Another rookie card.)
1977 Topps #525 Dennis Eckersley

1993 Triple Play League Leaders #L1 Barry Bonds/Dennis Eckersley (Barry Bonds graces the other side of this Donruss insert.)
1996 Leaf Gold Press Proofs #2 Dennis Eckersley (I had this for years not knowing it was a press proof until I saw it side-by-side with another card from that set.)
2002 Upper Deck All-Star Salute Game Jersey #SJDE Dennis Eckersley

2003 Flair Greats Cut of History Game Used #7 Dennis Eckersley Jsy
2005 Absolute Memorabilia Autograph Spectrum Silver #113 Dennis Eckersley/100
2007 SP Legendary Cuts Legendary Materials Dual #EC Dennis Eckersley/125

Moving up through the years brings me to 2005 today. Here are nine cards from that year that I have in my collection.

2005 Absolute Memorabilia Absolutely Ink Swatch Single Spectrum #AI115 Frank Thomas Bat/25
2005 Absolute Memorabilia Autograph Spectrum Silver #185 Ron Santo/142
2005 Absolute Memorabilia Tools of the Trade Bat #185 Ted Williams/250

2005 Absolute Memorabilia Tools of the Trade Swatch Quad #175 R.Clemens B-FG-J-J/100
2005 Sweet Spot Classic Materials #CMJR Jackie Robinson Jsy
2005 Sweet Spot Classic Materials #CMNR1 Nolan Ryan Rgr Jsy (Astros orange on a Rangers card?)

2005 Topps #677 Justin Verlander FY RC
2005 Topps Black #372 Rafael Palmeiro
2005 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Signature Emerald #86 Wade Boggs Sox (Another beauty acquired from aprirr.)

We just lost Phil Niekro the day after Christmas. Niekro, a master of the knuckleball, pitched 20 of his 24 MLB seasons with the Braves. He was a five-time All-star and a five-time Gold Glove Award winner who threw a no-hitter and led his league in victories twice and ERA once. In 1979 he became the last pitcher to win and lose 20 games in the same season. The 539 wins amassed by Phil and his brother, Joe, combined are the most by brothers in MLB history with Phil accounting for 318 of them. He set a Major League record by playing 24 seasons without a World Series appearance. As of this posting, I have 229 different Beckett recognized cards of Phil. Here are nine from my collection.

1965 Topps #461 Rookie Stars/Clay Carroll RC/Phil Niekro (This is Phil's second Rookie Stars card. I showed you his first back in post #130 when I displayed nine of my 1964 cards.)
1966 Topps #28 Phil Niekro
1968 Topps #257 Phil Niekro

1971 Topps #30 Phil Niekro
1972 Topps #620 Phil Niekro
1987 Topps #694 Phil Niekro Autographed (I wrote to Phil and sent him a couple of cards to sign but he declined and sent my cards back. This was signed but not for me.)

1993 Nabisco All-Star Autographs #4 Phil Niekro (Got this when I sent away for the complete set after eating a ton of Ritz crackers.)
2004 SP Legendary Cuts Historic Swatches #PN Phil Niekro Jsy (I love the baby blue swatch.)
2005 Sweet Spot Classic Materials #CMPN Phil Niekro Jsy

Not only do I collect baseball cards but I also collect any softball players I can find cards of. Basically any card that is baseball or softball related as you've probably already surmised from my stamps, POGs, coins, etc. That brings me to today's post. Today I am showing you nine cards featuring women.

1994 Colorado Silver Bullets Coors #2 Julie Croteau (The Colorado Silver Bullets were an all-female professional baseball team that played in the United States from 1994 to 1997. Julie is recognized as the first woman to play men's NCAA baseball and is one of two women to ever play in a MLB-sanctioned winter league, and her baseball glove and photo are on permanent display at the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. Julie has something in common with the last player I featured on this thread as Phil Niekro was her manager with the Silver Bullets.)
1994 Ted Williams #98 Alma Ziegler (In each of the two years that the Ted Williams Card Company issued cards, each set included a subset devoted to players from the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. Ziegler was an infielder and pitcher who played from 1944 through 1954.)
2000 BBM Japan # Aki Hoshino (Aki is a Japanese "bikini idol". This card is a Japanese version of a first pitch card issued back in 2000, a decade and a half before Topps began issuing First Pitch cards.)

2002 Bench Warmer #72 Sunni Hemme/Bonus Card (Some may not consider this to be a baseball  card but I beg to differ. Bench Warmers motto is "Trading cards never looked so good". The set featured female models sporting different pieces of sporting equipment. The set includes women on cards with football, basketball, hockey, soccer and other sporting equipment but it is the baseball related cards that drew me to the set. Hemme worked as a professional model as well as a professional wrestling valet and ring announcer. She appeared in music videos by Trace Adkins and Blink-182 and in Maxim, Rolling Stone and Playboy magazines gracing the cover of the April 2005 issue of the latter.)
2007 Sports Illustrated for Kids #139 Caitlin Lowe Softball (Caitlin was a silver medal-winning Olympian softball player in 2008 and is regarded as one of the greatest college softball players of all-time. She played for the University of Arizona Wildcats and led her team to back-to-back NCAA Women's College World Series Championships in 2006 and 2007.)
2007 Sports Illustrated for Kids #179 Monica Abbott BB (Monica was a pitcher for the Tennessee Lady Vols and was a teammate of Caitlin Lowe on the 2008 Team USA silver medal team in Beijing. She currently pitches in a Japanese softball league.)

2006 Topps Allen and Ginter #303 Jennie Finch (Finch pitched for the Arizona Wildcats and won the 2001 Women's College World Series and helped lead Team USA to the gold medal in the 2004 Summer Olympics. She was also on the 2008 team that took silver in Beijing and has been described as the most famous softball player in history. She has also worked as a color commentator for ESPN.)
2008 Bench Warmer Limited #11 Camille Anderson (Camille is a former Miss Austin USA who currently lives in Los Angeles where she works as an actress, model and tv host. This card is from the Bench Warmer's 2008 set. I dare say her curves rival Kershaw's. )
2017 Topps First Pitch #FP37 Camilla Luddington (Camilla is an actress best known for her role on Grey's Anatomy and for being the voice of Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider video games. Here she's preparing to throw out the first pitch at an Angels game.)