`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.77 Average
Zeprock Collection

RE: Zeprock Collection
In 1975 Topps got all colorful on us with their new card design. Many collectors consider it their favorite set. Here are nine 1975 cards from my collection.

1975 Hostess #58 Nolan Ryan (Cut from a box of Suzy Qs.)
1975 Kellogg's #7 Johnny Bench (Pulled from a box of Frosted Flakes.)
1975 Topps #1 Hank Aaron HL/Sets Homer Mark

1975 Topps #223 Robin Yount RC
1975 Topps #228 George Brett RC
1975 Topps #616 Rookie Outfielders/Dave Augustine/Pepe Mangual RC/Jim Rice RC/John Scott RC

1975 Topps #620 Rookie Catchers and Outfielders/Gary Carter RC/Marc Hill RC/Danny Meyer RC/Leon Roberts RC
1975 Topps #660 Hank Aaron (Hank had the honor of being the first numbered card and the last numbered card in the '75 Topps set. This is his first Brewers card.)
1975 Topps Mini #500 Nolan Ryan (This is from Topps Mini set that paralleled the basic Topps set, the first year Topps did a Mini set.)
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

REGGIE!!!
Reggie Jackson was a 14-time All-star who led his league in Home Runs four times and RBI once. He also was a MVP but it was the postseason that really got him attention. "Mr. October" was clutch in the postseason on his way to five World Championships. He had a colorful career for sure especially as a member of the Bronx Zoo. I currently have 793 different Beckett recognized cards of Reggie. As Chris Olds would say, "How many do you need?" Here's a look at nine of them from my collection.

1970 Topps #140 Reggie Jackson
1970 Topps #459 Reggie Jackson AS
1971 Topps #20 Reggie Jackson Autographed
(In person auto not obtained by me.)

1972 Topps #435 Reggie Jackson
1973 Topps #255 Reggie Jackson
2001 SP Legendary Cuts Game Jersey #JRJ Reggie Jackson Jsy

2002 Upper Deck Vintage Timeless Teams Game Jersey #JRJ Reggie Jackson Jsy
2011 Topps Marquee Titanic Threads Red #TTJR20 Reggie Jackson/75
2018 Topps Tribute Dual Relics #DRRJ Reggie Jackson
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

Great thread, love seeing the updates! In regards to your Reggie cards, I don't know what it is but that '71 Topps of his has always been my favorite of his in eye appeal.

zeprock Wrote:It's grocery day again. Here are nine cards from my collection, all of them originally came from the supermarket.

1963 Jello #43 Early Wynn (This card looks almost identical to it's Post Cereal counterpart with the major differences being a slightly smaller card size and the red stat line is a bit shorter. This card was printed on the back of a Jello box.)
1984 Expos Stuart #17 Pete Rose (This card was issued by Montreal-based Stuart Bakery and inserted in specially marked packages of their snack cake line. The backs are printed in both English and French.)
1988 Chef Boyardee #7 Cal Ripken (I obtained this complete set of cards by sending in enough proof-of-purchase seals from Chef Boyardee products back in 1988. The cards came in a large perforated sheet which I put through a paper cutter to make individual cards.)

1993 Humpty Dumpty Canadian #15 Ken Griffey Jr. (Cards from this mini set were inserted in bags of Humpty Dumpty potato chips in Canada. The backs also have the player's name, position, biography and statistics in both French and English. Each card came individually sealed in cellophane to protect it from the greasy product.)
1993 Pacific Ryan Farewell McCormick #20 Nolan Ryan/A Lone Star Legend (This set, very similar to the Ryan 27th Season set was produced by Pacific for McCormick & Company, an American food company that manufactures, markets, and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments, and other flavoring products for the industrial, restaurant, institutional, and home markets. In 1993 they paid tribute to Nolan Ryan's career and these cards were actually given away to fans attending a Texas Rangers game at Arlington Stadium during Nolan Ryan Appreciation Week.)
1995 Stouffer Pop-ups #1 Yogi Berra (This pop-out card was distributed by Stouffer's Frozen Foods and is part of a five-card set.)

1998 Hamburger Helper #4 Barry Bonds (This is one of an 8-card set that was cut from the back of a Hamburger Helper box. It was given to me by a co-worker back in 1998. I went to the local Shop n' Save to find more but had no luck. My co-worker lived on Campobello Island in Canada and was here on a work visa and I don't know if she got it in Canada or Maine but never did come across another.)
2001 Skippy Derek Jeter #2 Derek Jeter (This disc came attached to the lid of a jar of Skippy Peanut Butter. I love peanut butter and grew up on PB&J sandwiches. There were four discs in the set and you could go to a website and sign up to be entered into a sweepstakes to go to New York, attend a game and meet Derek in person.)
2005 Upper Deck Sunkist #3 Roger Maris (This is one of a 5-card set produced by Upper Deck and inserted into packages of Sunkist oranges.)
I just picked up the 1993 Humpty Dumpty set today.  Think these cards get devalued by opening the cellophane?  Most of the plastic is quite dirty and doesn't show well.
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

jack pfiester Wrote:I just picked up the 1993 Humpty Dumpty set today.  Think these cards get devalued by opening the cellophane?  Most of the plastic is quite dirty and doesn't show well.
All of the Humpty Dumpty cards in my set are still individually wrapped in the cellophane including the Griffey I scanned. I cropped the cellophane off for my posting. The cellophane on my cards is still quite clean as if the card was just pulled but I can see where it could easily get grubby if the card was just set aside or lying about for any amount of time.

Today I'm going for the gold. I have several dozen "gold" cards in my collection, not just gold foil stamping on a card but GOLD Baby! Due to the embossing it was hard to get decent scans of them but here's a look at nine of my "gold" cards.

1993 ProMint 22K Gold #2 Nolan Ryan (This 22 karat gold foil card of the man with the golden arm contains more than 17 square inches of gold.)
1994 Topps Collector's Club Measures of Greatness Gold Plated #606 Ken Griffey Jr. (Unrecognized by Beckett, this card has Ken Griffey Jr. printed on it although other than the Seattle uniform, I can't see any resemblance.)
1995 Bleachers #2 Hank Aaron/1995 Classic/10000 (Bleachers released many individual gold cards throughout the 1990s. This one commemorating the then Home Run King is 23 karats.)

1996 Bleachers #41 Cal Ripken/1996 Diamond Star/21310 (I won this card in a bidding war at Collector's Corner, a local LCS in Brewer, Maine in the early 1990s. the owner would have in-store auctions once a week and I paid $5 more than it is worth today but I thought it was beautiful and I wanted it. I have a Griffey Jr. from this set too.)
1996 Bleachers #46 Alex Rodriguez/1996 Black Autograph/5000 (Another one from the Bleachers line of one of the players who's actions ended up disappointing me the most.)
1996 Ruth Danbury Mint #1 Babe Ruth (I believe this was the first baseball card produced by the Danbury Mint. I saw an advertisement where I could send away for this free card and only pay a couple dollars shipping. The Danbury Mint would then send me offers to purchase additional cards they'd produced with no obligation to buy and I could quit at any time. I got this card then I quit but since then I have acquired several dozen of these cards of different players.)

1997 Stadium Club Pure Gold #PG18 Mike Piazza (This 1997 Stadium Club insert was produced on 20 point embossed gold mirror foilboard.)
1998 Scoreboard 23K Collection #4 Mark McGwire/History Breaking in Red
(This 23 karat gold foil was produced by Score Board, Inc. during their final days before declaring bankruptcy.)
1999 Danbury Mint-22Kt Gold #NNO Pedro Martinez
(This card, also produced by the Danbury Mint, came in a plastic folder that has a clear card holder and a write up on Pedro on one side and a card and write up of Nomar Garciaparra on the other side.)

Very nice, Mark! I have had a penchant for Silver cards over the years.

One of the very few retired players that I still collect even though they haven't been inducted into the Hall of Fame is Roger Maris. Maris was a four-time All-star, three-time World Champion, two-time RBI leader and he won a Gold Glove.  He was also a two-time MVP but of course what he is known best for is the one time he led his league in home runs when he hit 61 in '61 to break Babe Ruth's single season record. I hated seeing the asterisk affixed to the total in the record books for many years due to the fact that it took him a few more games than it did the Babe but probably more likely due to the fact that Babe Ruth's friends and fans in high places didn't want the record broken. There was so much pressure on Roger that he started losing his hair. In any event his record lasted for 37 years. I currently have 204 different Beckett recognized cards of Maris. Here are nine from my collection.

1959 Topps #202A Roger Maris GB (The gray back version)
1960 Topps #377 Roger Maris
1960 Topps #565 Roger Maris AS

1962 Topps #313 Roger Maris IA
1964 Topps #225 Roger Maris
1965 Topps #155 Roger Maris

1967 Topps #45 Roger Maris
1968 Topps #330 Roger Maris
2004 SP Legendary Cuts Ultimate Swatches #RM Roger Maris Jsy

Here are nine cards from my collection all issued in the bicentennial year of 1976.

1976 Hostess #79 Nolan Ryan SP (A short print cut from a box of Twinkies.)
1976 Hostess #114 George Brett
1976 SSPC #187 Nolan Ryan (This set has a 1975 copyright on the back but was actually released in 1976 and could be purchased directly from SSPC for $10.99 per set. The backs of the cards were edited by Keith Olbermann prior to his network broadcasting success. Olbermann once contacted me through my website in 2006 looking for Alex Gordon cards. SSPC stands for Sports Stars Publishing Company, a division of TCMA which either stood for The Card Memorabilia Asscociates or more likely, the initials of TCMA co-founders Tom Collier and Mike Aronstein.)

1976 Topps #1 Hank Aaron RB
1976 Topps #19 George Brett
1976 Topps #98 Dennis Eckersley RC

1976 Topps #240 Pete Rose
1976 Topps #300 Johnny Bench
1976 Topps #550 Hank Aaron (Hank's last regular Topps card.)

The year I was born!!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars