`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.77 Average
Zeprock Collection

RE: Zeprock Collection
(04-16-2020, 10:59 AM)elberson Wrote: 1962 was a beautiful set to me, love the wood grain boarders. i finished this set last September with mantle being the last card needed. card OCD gets expensive when putting older sets together lol
... Especially with 1962, notorious for imperfections. I do not think that any Mint cards came out of the factory that year. Seems to me that there is a prevalence of miscuts and misprints in the 1962 cards I have seen vs most any other vintage year ... but maybe that is just me and the relatively low sample size I have seen? Anyone?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I hope you're enjoying my thread and the scans of the cards in my collection as much as I am enjoying going through my collection and sharing some of my thoughts and memories. Every few posts I have been showing some of my food issues. Today I'm taking you out to eat, so to speak. These nine cards were all issued by restaurants.

1976 Shakey's Pizza #2 Babe Ruth (I've managed to put together this complete set which was released in the Seattle area back in 1976 as a promotion for Shakey's Restaurants.)
1980 Burger King Pitch/Hit/Run #9 Nolan Ryan/Houston Astros (Ryan was pictured as an Angel in the 1980 Topps set but here he is as an Astro for this card released via a promotion by Burger King.)
1988 Tigers Domino's #9 Al Kaline (Domino's Pizza released this set to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Detroit Tigers' World Championship season of 1968. Since we just lost Mr. Kaline, I thought I'd feature him.)

1991 Denny's Holograms #20 Cal Ripken (Produced by Upper Deck and given away with the purchase of a meal from Denny's "Grand Slam" menu. If the featured player's team hit a grand slam during the time frame of their contest, the cardholder would get a free meal. So many teams hit grand slams in that time frame which caused Denny's never to run that aspect of the promotion again. Sometimes it's difficult to scan in a hologram but this looks pretty cool.)
1992 Alrak Griffey McDonald's #2 Ken Griffey Jr./Black and red background (The cards in this 3-card set, issued by McDonald's, also came with a corresponding pin.)
1992 Red Sox Dunkin' Donuts #2 Wade Boggs (Back in the early '80s, I had a friend whose family owned several of the Dunkin' Donuts in Eastern Maine and each sibling had a store or two to manage. Early one morning after a late night I stopped by my friend's branch and found him working like crazy as he had a couple employees call in sick and leave him shorthanded. My brother, who was with me at the time, and I went to work helping him out for a few hours. I ran the jelly machine, shoving donut after donut onto the spigot and stepping on a foot press that squirted jelly into the donuts. That sums up my entire career at DD. This card was released by Dunkin Donuts in conjunction with WVIT-TV in Connecticut and WJAR-TV in Rhode Island as well as via a mail-in offer on 12-packs of Coke in the Boston area.)

1992 Topps Dairy Queen Team USA #1 Mark McGwire (This 33-card set was produced by Topps for Dairy Queen. The set was available in four-card packs with the purchase of a regular-sized sundae in a Team USA helmet during the summer of 1992.)
1996 Pizza Hut #2 Ken Griffey Jr./Greg Maddux (When I first saw this card featuring two of my favorite players to collect, I snatched it up. I have never seen another. It is part of a 4-card set and was issued by Pizza Hut along with a bat if you ordered a special pizza. Each card features a batter and a pitcher.)
1998 Mr. Sub #2 Roger Clemens (This is one of a 4-card set of Roger Clemens issued by Mr. Sub, a chain of sandwich shops in Canada. The back depicts a Clemens coin commemorating one of his Cy Young Awards, a MLB logo, a Mr. Sub logo and a website address to RocketRoger.com.)
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

The next player I collect that I'm featuring on this ongoing thread is HOFer Lou Brock. Brock was the unheralded base theft champion until Rickey Henderson arrived on the scene. Brock was the first to steal 100 bases in a season and led the NL in stolen bases eight times. He also had some pop in his bat and was a World Series champion twice in three trips. One of my all-time favorite Cardinals, I currently have 268 different Beckett recognized cards of Lou. Here are nine from my collection including some vintage, a couple autos and a couple game-used pieces.

1964 Topps #29 Lou Brock (Brock looked so good in Cardinals red, it's easy to forget that he started his MLB career in Cubs blue.)
1966 Topps #125 Lou Brock
1968 Topps #520 Lou Brock

1971 Kellogg's #17 Lou Brock
1971 Topps #625 Lou Brock
1999 Sports Illustrated Greats of the Game Autographs #11 Lou Brock

2001 Donruss Classics Legendary Lumberjacks #LL47 Lou Brock
2004 Greats of the Game Autographs #LB Lou Brock F1
2004 SP Legendary Cuts Historic Swatches #LB Lou Brock Jsy

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

Great stuff, keep it coming. on the most recent food issue post, I had never any of the three in the bottom row.

Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

Let's move up another year to 1963. Here are nine more cards from my collection.

1963 Fleer #5 Willie Mays
1963 Fleer #56 Roberto Clemente
1963 Topps #200 Mickey Mantle

1963 Topps #210 Sandy Koufax
1963 Topps #250 Stan Musial
1963 Topps #380 Ernie Banks UER

1963 Topps #390 Hank Aaron
1963 Topps #473 New York Mets TC
(Topps' first team card of the New York Mets. This group went 40-120. One of baseball's first expansion teams, the Mets were founded in 1962 to replace New York's departed NL teams, the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Giants. The team's colors combine the Dodgers' blue and the Giants' orange. They played their home games during the 1962 and 1963 seasons in the Polo Grounds.)
1963 Topps #540 Roberto Clemente

Hall of Famer Bobby Doerr is the next player that I collect that came up on the randomizer. Bobby was a 9-time All-Star second baseman who played his entire MLB career with the Red Sox. As of this posting I have 98 unique Beckett recognized cards of Bobby. Here are nine from my collection including some autographs and some game-used.

1986 Donruss Highlights #32 Bobby Doerr Autographed (This is an in-person obtained autograph, not obtained by me.)
1991 Swell Baseball Greats #25 Bobby Doerr Autographed (Many years ago, I got ahold of Bobby's address and mailed him a couple of cards along with a letter. This is one of the cards I'd sent and he signed and returned to me.)
2001 SP Legendary Cuts Debut Game Bat #DBD Bobby Doerr SP

2002 Donruss Classics #180 Bobby Doerr LGD
2003 Topps Gallery HOF ARTifact Relics #BD Bobby Doerr Jsy D
2003 Upper Deck Vintage #163 Bobby Doerr Autographed
(This is the other card he signed for me through the mail.)

2004 Donruss Timelines Call to the Hall Autograph #4 Bobby Doerr
2004 Donruss Timelines Call to the Hall Material #4 Bobby Doerr Bat
(These two Timelines cards actually look the same color in person but for some reason scanned in different shades of gray.)
2013 Panini Cooperstown Orange #43 Bobby Doerr

I mostly only collect baseball cards. I played baseball in school and to this day, it's my favorite sport to play or watch. I also played basketball and was the high scorer on our team during my junior year of high school averaging 13 points per game which pretty much informs you as to how bad we were. I did track and field and won a New England high jump competition in 1977 jumping my height of 5'11" to win and then going to the Nationals in South Carolina where I learned there were lots of guys who could jump higher than I could. I was also a New England chess champion in 1976 and a runner up table tennis champion. But enough about me. Smile The only other sports cards I collect, other than baseball are of players who played baseball, i.e., Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders football cards, Michael Jordan basketball cards, etc. For today's post, just for fun, I've dug through my collection and come up with nine "baseball" cards of players who played in the NBA.

1957 Topps #28 Gene Conley (Conley played 11 seasons with the Boston Braves, Phillies and Red Sox making the All-star team three times and winning a World Championship with the Braves. He also spent six seasons in the NBA playing for the Celtics and Knicks, winning three NBA Championships with the Celtics. He was the first athlete to play for three professional teams in the same city playing for the Boston Braves, Celtics and Red Sox.)
1959 Topps #137 Dick Ricketts RS RC (Rickets pitched for the Cardinals in 1959 and played three seasons in the NBA for the St. Louis Hawks and the Royals of Rochester and then Cincinnati.)
1965 Topps #297 Dave DeBusschere (DeBusschere pitched for the White Sox for two seasons and then went on to play in the NBA for 12 seasons for the Pistons and the Knicks. He was an eight-time NBA All-star and two-time NBA Champion. His number 22 was retired by the Knicks and he was elected to the basketball Hall of Fame.)

1967 Topps #567 Steve Hamilton (Hamilton pitched for 12 seasons with the Indians, Senators, Yankees, White Sox, Giants and Cubs and spent two seasons in the NBA with the Minneapolis Lakers.)
1972 Topps #787 Ron Reed (Reed played two seasons with the Detroit Pistons before embarking on a 19-year MLB career with stops in Atlanta, St. Louis, Philadelphia and the south side of Chicago. He was an All-star and a World Series Champion and was the winning pitcher of the game in which Hank Aaron passed Babe Ruth with his 715th home run.)
1981 Topps Traded #727 Danny Ainge XRC (Ainge started out as an infielder for the Blue Jays and spent three seasons with them before embarking on a career in the NBA. He held the record for being the youngest player to homer for the Blue Jays until Vlad Guerrero Jr. did it. He played 14 seasons in the NBA winning two championships with the Celtics then playing for the Kings, Trail Blazers and Suns. He is now a NBA executive.)

1994 Fun Pack #170 Michael Jordan RC (Michael Jordan's baseball career is well-documented as is his NBA career. In 1999 "His Airness" was voted as the number one athlete of the 20th Century by ESPN for their SportsCentury biography program beating out Babe Ruth, Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown and Wayne Gretzky. His manager on the minor league Birmingham Barons was none other than Terry Francona. Here is one of his baseball rookie cards.)
2004 Upper Deck First Pitch Inserts #SP7 LeBron James (I was so disappointed when I pulled this card from a pack back in 2004 because he wasn't a baseball player. However I had heard that he might be pretty good one day so I hung on to it.)
2006 Upper Deck #825 Mark Hendrickson (Hendrickson played four seasons in the NBA for the 76ers, Kings, Nets and Cavaliers. Frustrated by not getting enough playing time, he switched to MLB where he pitched for 10 seasons for the Blue Jays, Devil Rays, Dodgers, Marlins and Orioles. He owns the distinction of serving up Ken Griffey Jr.'s 600th home run.)

Before Derek Jeter became the model of a "class act" on the diamond, Brooks Robinson wore that mantle. "The Human Vacuum Cleaner" won 16 Gold Gloves in a row at third base and spent his entire 23 year career with the Baltimore Orioles. He was my younger brother's favorite player and concluded his legendary career with enshrinement in the Hall of Fame in 1983. As of this posting I have 403 unique Beckett recognized cards of Brooks in my collection. Here are nine of them, a couple of vintage, a jersey swatch and a bunch of on-card autos.

1958 Topps #307 Brooks Robinson
1968 Topps #20 Brooks Robinson Autographed
(Driving down the road near my then home in Hampden, Maine back in the early 80's, I saw a little home made sign next to a house that read "Baseball Cards". I did a u-turn and pulled in and there was a teenager that had a display case set up on his front porch. I had most of the cards he had displayed but he had this Brooks Robinson autographed card. He told me his dad had it signed by Brooks. Good enough for me. I bought it and still have it. The sign disappeared shortly after that and I never went back.)
1993 Nabisco All-Star Autographs #5 Brooks Robinson (Got this card in a complete set after eating a LOT of Ritz crackers and sending away for it. Nabisco made this offer available two years in a row with 1993 being the first year.)

1993 Ted Williams Brooks Robinson #AU Brooks Robinson AU
1993 Ted Williams Brooks Robinson #AU Brooks Robinson AU
(Autographed versions of the Brooks Robinson Collection subset in the Ted Williams sponsored 1993 set.)
1996 Big League Chew #BR Brooks Robinson AU (Sent away for this complete set of autographed cards from an offer on the package of Big League Chew bubble gum back in '96.)

1996 Canadian Club Autographs #5 Brooks Robinson (I wonder if they asked him to say "whiskey" when they took this photo.)
2003 Fleer Fall Classics All-American Autographs #BR Brooks Robinson/325
2005 Sweet Spot Classic Materials #CMRO Brooks Robinson Jsy

Awesome stuff, Mark!

I have the Denny McClain from that Domino's set ... my grandpa and grandma lived across the street from a mall and they had old Tigers signing over there fairly often, so he would walk over and get their cards signed for me and save them for me until I got there in the summer time.

He got Mark "The Bird" Fydrich (!), McClain, Willie Horton and then more fairly recent guys like Dave Rozema and Barbaro Garbey.

I also got Mark Hendrickson's auto on a program when he played for the 76ers, along with a couple of guys named Iverson and Stackhouse!

That's a sick LeBron card by the way ... if you're ever interested in trading it, please let me know.

Good stuff!

In the photo of the shelves in my card room in my original post, the cards in today's post will get me through the first box on the bottom of the stack on the far left of the top shelf. Here are nine cards from my collection all released in 1964.

1964 Topps #50 Mickey Mantle
1964 Topps #125 Pete Rose UER/Born in 1942
1964 Topps #150 Willie Mays

1964 Topps #200 Sandy Koufax
1964 Topps #300 Hank Aaron
1964 Topps #331 AL Bombers/Roger Maris/Norm Cash/Mickey Mantle/Al Kaline

1964 Topps #423 Tops in NL/Hank Aaron/Willie Mays
1964 Topps #440 Roberto Clemente UER/1960 Pittsburfh
1964 Topps #541 Rookie Stars/Phil Roof/Phil Niekro RC
(You've got your fill of Phils on this card and neither one played for the Phils.)