`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.77 Average
Zeprock Collection

RE: Zeprock Collection
Today I'm posting nine cards from 1953. I still remember where I got these. It was 1981 and I had discovered my first local card shop, Twin City Coins in the Airport Mall. A guy I was working with in the shoe shop was a childhood friend that I hadn't seen in years and one day we were talking about the baseball cards we collected back when we were kids. He brought me in a little paperback price guide book which I still have someplace and told me about this store in the mall that sold cards. Of course I immediately went there and found boxes of cards for a buck or less each and the star cards in a glass case marked anywhere from $2 up to $10. Mind you this was before values soared and in year one of the "over-production years". I don't recall how much I paid for these but I guarantee you it was less than $50 for all of them.

1953 Topps #1 Jackie Robinson DP
1953 Topps #27 Roy Campanella DP
1953 Topps #37 Eddie Mathews DP

1953 Topps #54 Bob Feller DP
1953 Topps #61 Early Wynn SP
1953 Topps #82 Mickey Mantle

1953 Topps #191 Ralph Kiner
1953 Topps #207 Whitey Ford
1953 Topps #220 Satchel Paige
(They mispelled "Satchel"on this card.)
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Great cards, better story. Beautiful artwork - looking at a moment in time. Very nice!!
*I MUST SEND FIRST*
Not interested in GU or AUTO - base, base, base!!!

Baseball - Whit Merrifield, Wil Myers, Yadier Molina
Football - Brady Quinn, Landry Jones, Terry Bradshaw
Basketball - JJ Redick, Dr. J, Bill Walton

Until Larry Walker was elected to the Hall this year, Fergie Jenkins remained the lone Canadian enshrined. As of this posting I have 189 unique Beckett recognized cards of Fergie. Here are nine from my collection including some vintage, some memorabilia and a couple of autos.

1967 Topps #333 Fergie Jenkins
1968 Topps #410 Ferguson Jenkins
1969 Topps #640 Ferguson Jenkins

1975 Kellogg's #22 Fergie Jenkins
1999 Sports Illustrated Greats of the Game Autographs #35 Ferguson Jenkins
2006 Greats of the Game Autographs #35 Fergie Jenkins T2

2006 Greats of the Game Cubs Greats Memorabilia #FJ Fergie Jenkins Jsy
2006 SP Legendary Cuts Legendary Materials Gold #FJ Fergie Jenkins Jsy/225
2011 In The Game Canadiana Mega Memorabilia Silver #MM5 Ferguson Jenkins L

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

Great looking collection. I look forward to following this thread and seeing all your great cards. I am fairly similar to you, I have been collecting for the past 41 years however my main collection is hockey cards. I do dabble in baseball and basketball, I love vintage and oddball minor league and food issued cards.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.

Nobody even commented about that '53 Mantle?!?!?! Jeez, people, are you awake!
Unbelievably awesome card Mark! Did you pick that up for $10, too? Sheesh!
Is it's condition as amazing as it looks?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(02-05-2020, 09:39 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Nobody even commented about that '53 Mantle?!?!?! Jeez, people, are you awake!
Unbelievably awesome card Mark! Did you pick that up for $10, too? Sheesh!
Is it's condition as amazing as it looks?
No, it's not as nice as it looks. It's probably VG due to a couple of creases that are not visible in this scan.

I never thought of collecting pocket schedules and then one day at a convenience store I saw a stack of them by the register and thought, "Man, that looks a lot like a baseball card. It's the same size, it's picturing a great player, it's not a design I've seen before and it's FREE!" I now have thousands of them in my collection. My favorites are the ones that depict the players that I collect. Worthless? Maybe. Cool? Oh yeah! Here are nine from my collection.

1990 Seattle Mariners Season Schedule Ken Griffey Jr. (The Mariners second year with Griffey on the roster. Touting themselves as The "New" Seattle Mariners.)
1992 Texas Rangers Season Schedule Nolan Ryan
1994 Atlanta Braves Season Schedule Greg Maddux

1995 Boston Red Sox Season Schedule Jose Canseco (Jose's debut season with the Red Sox. We Sox fans couldn't wait for him to take aim at that Green Monster.)
1997 Los Angeles Dodgers Season Schedule Mike Piazza (I have three different variations of this one. One features a beer company on the back, another features a bank and a third features a TV station. I love the comic book artwork that makes him look like a Superhero.)
2003 Atlanta Braves Spring Training Schedule Chipper Jones (This one is just for Spring Training 2003.)

2007 Seattle Mariners Season Schedule Ichiro Suzuki (I have one of these in English but this one is all in Japanese.)
2012 New York Yankees Season Schedule Derek Jeter (Classy of New York to commemorate a classy player's milestone hit.)
2013 Los Angeles Dodgers Season Schedule Clayton Kershaw (I also have an English version of this one. This is all in Spanish.)

What an awesome niche in this hobby, totally awesome! I collect minor league ticket stubs so I get the interest, not nearly as cool as these though!
*I MUST SEND FIRST*
Not interested in GU or AUTO - base, base, base!!!

Baseball - Whit Merrifield, Wil Myers, Yadier Molina
Football - Brady Quinn, Landry Jones, Terry Bradshaw
Basketball - JJ Redick, Dr. J, Bill Walton

I have a few pocket schedules as well and think they are a underrated collectable. They not only have a great picture on their fronts, but also have quite a bit of info folded inside. Mine are mostly local for the Rays and Spring Training teams, however whenever I travel and see any at a gas station or store I always grab 1 or 2.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I'm sure it's because of the scan and the way the images are cropped that all the cards look so "sharp" on the corners. However, in addition to that, I'm amazed at how good the cards look on the surface, no wrinkles, creases, etc. Did you have a certain minimum condition when purchasing so many of the older cards? I know you've had them for a long time, but just curious because the condition on them looks great!

(02-02-2020, 10:27 AM)zeprock Wrote: Today I'm posting nine cards from 1953. I still remember where I got these. It was 1981 and I had discovered my first local card shop, Twin City Coins in the Airport Mall. A guy I was working with in the shoe shop was a childhood friend that I hadn't seen in years and one day we were talking about the baseball cards we collected back when we were kids. He brought me in a little paperback price guide book which I still have someplace and told me about this store in the mall that sold cards. Of course I immediately went there and found boxes of cards for a buck or less each and the star cards in a glass case marked anywhere from $2 up to $10. Mind you this was before values soared and in year one of the "over-production years". I don't recall how much I paid for these but I guarantee you it was less than $50 for all of them.

1953 Topps #1 Jackie Robinson DP
1953 Topps #27 Roy Campanella DP
1953 Topps #37 Eddie Mathews DP

1953 Topps #54 Bob Feller DP
1953 Topps #61 Early Wynn SP
1953 Topps #82 Mickey Mantle

1953 Topps #191 Ralph Kiner
1953 Topps #207 Whitey Ford
1953 Topps #220 Satchel Paige
(They mispelled "Satchel"on this card.)
Thanks,
- Steve