`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Astros Debacle

RE: Astros Debacle
It cracks me up that they are targeting Dusty Baker as their manager.

(I love Dusty, by the way, he's a legend out here in the Bay Area. No disrespect toward him in any way, shape or form)

They're like, let's get the oldest, set-in-his-old-school-non-analytic-ways guy that we can find to show people we are not going to be doing that anymore ...

What, Jim Leyland wasn't available?

LOL

(01-29-2020, 01:49 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: It cracks me up that they are targeting Dusty Baker as their manager.

(I love Dusty, by the way, he's a legend out here in the Bay Area. No disrespect toward him in any way, shape or form)

They're like, let's get the oldest, set-in-his-old-school-non-analytic-ways guy that we can find to show people we are not going to be doing that anymore ...

What, Jim Leyland wasn't available?

LOL
I think they asked Tommy Lasorda but he is holding a grudge for beating his Dodgers.

(01-29-2020, 01:51 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I think they asked Tommy Lasorda but he is holding a grudge for beating his Dodgers.
LOL, good one

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse...

J/k. I called it a few pages ago. I knew there was more to this.

Apparently the scheme started with an intern in the front office of the Astros.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

...still getting worse. Baseball is a joke. What a shame. =\
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

(02-16-2020, 07:37 PM)hempick Wrote: ...still getting worse. Baseball is a joke. What a shame. =\
I feel like we just got through the steroid scandal (at least on the surface) and now this.

Baseball can't get out of its own way.

I think it's naive not to believe every team does it, I agree with Kerry there for sure. They may stop doing it now, but I would bet most teams have done it to some extent. I wonder if some of the stat and analysis people these teams employ have either not played baseball or simply don't have the passion for the integrity of the game that the players have? Another angle to consider also I guess.

Now it's time to set the precedent for cheaters. I vote that any player or manager accused of PED abuse or any other infraction detrimental to the integrity of the game should be void of any awards or accolades for the rest of their career. No eligibility for the Hall of Fame, All-Star selections, Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, Manager of the Year, etc... Maybe even ineligible for postseason play? Completely blacklisted from having your name on any award or trophy, period. Nelson Cruz has 30 home runs at the All-Star break and finishes the year with 60+? Tough luck cheater.

(02-19-2020, 02:52 PM)evolb909 Wrote: Now it's time to set the precedent for cheaters. I vote that any player or manager accused of PED abuse or any other infraction detrimental to the integrity of the game should be void of any awards or accolades for the rest of their career. No eligibility for the Hall of Fame, All-Star selections, Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, Manager of the Year, etc... Maybe even ineligible for postseason play? Completely blacklisted from having your name on any award or trophy, period. Nelson Cruz has 30 home runs at the All-Star break and finishes the year with 60+? Tough luck cheater.
If you do that then you'd be taking away the player's incentive. Why help your team get to the postseason if you can't play in it yourself? That scenario would affect more than just the individual player.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(02-19-2020, 03:43 PM)zeprock Wrote: If you do that then you'd be taking away the player's incentive. Why help your team get to the postseason if you can't play in it yourself? That scenario would affect more than just the individual player.
The postseason part may be excessive.... BUT.... It would also keep cheaters from landing massive free agent contracts out of teams fearing that exact scenario. Teams would probably shy away in most cases.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing cheaters weeded out of the bigs entirely so maybe extreme is exactly what the league needs. There is no way cheaters should ever be eligible for awards and accolades in my opinion.
I also do not think the Astros or Red Sox players should receive any kind of discipline unless there is direct irrefutable evidence against them. But anyone from here on out who wants to mess with the integrity of the game should be disciplined massively. I think MLB should also even start thinking about hypothetical scenarios to set standards on things that could potentially happen.

(02-19-2020, 04:04 PM)evolb909 Wrote: The postseason part may be excessive.... BUT.... It would also keep cheaters from landing massive free agent contracts out of teams fearing that exact scenario. Teams would probably shy away in most cases.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing cheaters weeded out of the bigs entirely so maybe extreme is exactly what the league needs. There is no way cheaters should ever be eligible for awards and accolades in my opinion.
I also do not think the Astros or Red Sox players should receive any kind of discipline unless there is direct irrefutable evidence against them. But anyone from here on out who wants to mess with the integrity of the game should be disciplined massively. I think MLB should also even start thinking about hypothetical scenarios to set standards on things that could potentially happen.
They could do what they did with steroids ... inform everybody that the clock starts now, and knock off the bulls--t.

Only instead of these weak 50 and 80 game suspensions for first and second infractions, just tell them they're done if they're caught.

"But but but ... the players' union ..."

I think enough big names have come out against this latest thing (way more vitriol than steroids), so I believe they would actually go for it.

I mean, for every MLB player, there's a thousand more in the minors that would gladly take his spot and play the game the right way.

We don't need it, we don't want it as fans.

Like, in terms of cards, imagine if you're an Astros collector right now ... how are you feeling about that PC?