`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: What do you want most from a trading card product?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
More autographs/box
20.00%
4 20.00%
Licsensed cards (Have logos/team names)
5.00%
1 5.00%
Unique Cards (die cut, serial #'d, unique GW items, etc)
35.00%
7 35.00%
On-Card Autos
30.00%
6 30.00%
Redemptions for GW jerseys/items
0%
0 0%
Other (please specify in thread)
10.00%
2 10.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Back into the hobby, need advice

Getting Back into the hobby, need advice
Howdy All,
I'm getting back into the hobby after a decade of being out. A LOT has changed. What do you look for in a product? What makes you like certain sets/products/companies more than others? Every (sincere) reply to this post will enter the poster into a random drawing for a free auto, because I'd like to know the mind of the current collectors so I can figure out what direction I should go.

For example:
"I like Pannini Illusions because there was a buyback in every hobby box. I also like to see products with fewer autos in order to make them more valuable."

I will choose a random reply to award a free autograph when the poll is finished! Thanks!

RE: Getting Back into the hobby, need advice
I voted other id like to see more value out of the box, i.e. no redemptions unless it's an extra hit or special item, less generic gu pieces, more hard/rare inserted inserts with cool designs/technology.
Selling my org out
Rolleyes

I voted on card autos. I don't have a personal favorite brand, but I love anything emerald! Flawless has an amazing look, in my opinion, but is way out of my price range. But if I can snag an emerald from any product for my PC guys, I will. Something about that green!

Personally, while I love ripping boxes, I almost never have money for it, and it usually ends up in a bust as far as value goes. I can't afford $200 for a Prizm box for sticker autos and redemption points. I lean towards collecting game worn and autos of my favorite players. Other sets I'm working on, all Super Bowl MVPs, and autos of my favorite players over the years.

Another thing to consider is grading. If you like getting cards graded, some brands are really tough to get good grades on. Panini Black and Diamond come to mind.

Hope this helps, and welcome back!
(05-17-2019, 10:51 AM)leadmetogreatness Wrote: I voted other id like to see more value out of the box, i.e. no redemptions unless it's an extra hit or special item, less generic gu pieces, more hard/rare inserted inserts with cool designs/technology.
Can you tell me more about the 2006 Declaration of Independence cards and sets you are working on?! Sounds like an awesome set I'd love to get in on!

I also voted more on-card autos - while the use of sticker autos is easier and there is more risk of damage from on card autos when the cards are shipped to the player to sign, they just look better - usually the autograph is larger and clearer.

Unfortunately, outside of some of Leaf's hobby products (and Topps A.A.F. set) there aren't really any affordable products with all on card autos anymore - even some high end products by Panini have sticker autos.

My favorite all time sets btw were Press Pass Legends when they still had a college license - great looking cards, great sets (lots of Hall of Famers, college coaching legends, and Heisman winners), and all on card autos.

As a collector who got started with 1990 Donruss baseball and 1990 Score & Pro Set football, I've seen a lot of change. For me, I loved big base sets and unique insert cards. Leafing through a pack and seeing a shiny edge in the middle of the pack and up popping something like a Dan Marino/Irving Fryar Air Raid card (1995 Topps) was the best!

Nowadays inserts don't look special or different; mere extensions to base sets and what I would have called subsets in the past.

In terms of new product there's not much for me these days, with Topps losing the NFLPA licensing there have been no new Finest sets since 2015. A couple years ago Panini did Clear Vision which was really neat and last year unveiled an Onyx set which also was pretty slick. But too many products are either high price/few cards or lowish price/meh design. I'll do some case breaks for Bears cards, otherwise I backfill old sets, particularly 1999 Finest.

Welcome back to the madness and I hope you can find your niche Smile.

I voted other. I only collect rookie cards, so any other hits are simply trade bait on here or at the LCS.

I voted for Unique Cards. I am a set collector because I am drawn to the look/aesthetic of a card before a certain player comes to mind. I love the stuff from the 90s (die-cut, special backgrounds, inserts, etc). Today's stuff is very similar year after year.

I voted for more autographs, because autos are my thing ... one of my favorite things to do is attend pro team events where an athlete is signing.

I just love the drive, the wait, the suspense of whether he'll show up or not (LOL) and then the payoff of driving home with a nice new memory.

I know it's not the same as meeting an athlete when you pull one from a pack, but to be able to say "Mike Trout (or whoever) signed this card" is pretty awesome.

As Art can attest, I trade some pretty bad-a-- rookie cards if it means I can pick up new autos!

Welcome back to the hobby and thanks for the contest!

I voted for on card autos as I really enjoy autographs and I like that the athlete actually touched the card instead of signing a sheet of stickers. Good luck with the hobby.

I'm going to say more autos and just hits in general. For the price of some of these products, it's rediqulous what you get back from them. Usually, the middle'ish tier of higher end gives you crap for your hits, and you have maybe 1:10 odds to get a good hit.
I will give 4 cents Beckett credit per point for Panini Points, 110% Beckett for ANY Ravens redemptions, 125% Beckett for any in demand player, and 100% Beckett for all other redemptions.
I PC all Ravens cards.
Check out my ebay for the real good stuff, if I ever get any: https://www.ebay.com/usr/dcm7734