`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about pricing of Magic Johnson auto

Question about pricing of Magic Johnson auto
I have a 2008-09 Topps Signature Autograph of Magic Johnson. I recently noticed that the listed book value for the card dropped in half. Can anyone please help explain why there was such a dramatic drop in price. I am wondering if it was a mistake as the card has been selling on eBay for at or above the new high book value, which usually indicates that the book value is off (since eBay prices are usually lower than most shop prices).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: Question about pricing of Magic Johnson auto
(05-28-2016, 09:58 PM)djohn Wrote: I have a 2008-09 Topps Signature Autograph of Magic Johnson. I recently noticed that the listed book value for the card dropped in half. Can anyone please help explain why there was such a dramatic drop in price. I am wondering if it was a mistake as the card has been selling on eBay for at or above the new high book value, which usually indicates that the book value is off (since eBay prices are usually lower than most shop prices).
Isn't that the one that's numbered to 499 and a sticker autograph? What's the new high value? Maybe with more and more Magic Johnson on card autos and lower numbered sticker auto releases hitting the hobby with each passing year that the demand for high print run sticker auto cards have soften.

Beckett does that sometimes when they're updating a card several years old they haven't looked at in awhile. I kept trying to pick up a Mitch Richmond that booked $50 but was routinely selling for $40-$60. Suddenly the bv jumped to $100. Just a drastic adjustment to make up for not following older stuff as closely would be my guess.
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

(05-29-2016, 06:27 PM)buckunteer Wrote: Beckett does that sometimes when they're updating a card several years old they haven't looked at in awhile. I kept trying to pick up a Mitch Richmond that booked $50 but was routinely selling for $40-$60. Suddenly the bv jumped to $100. Just a drastic adjustment to make up for not following older stuff as closely would be my guess.
I would understand if the card was selling for way under book value, but the card has been selling on eBay around the old low book value, and when I saw them in shops they were always wanting closer to the old high book value. I have never seen a card drop 50% in value for no reason.
(05-29-2016, 04:37 PM)happa Wrote: Isn't that the one that's numbered to 499 and a sticker autograph? What's the new high value? Maybe with more and more Magic Johnson on card autos and lower numbered sticker auto releases hitting the hobby with each passing year that the demand for high print run sticker auto cards have soften.
Yes, it is numbered to 499 and a sticker auto. We can't give out book values on the forum, however I can say that the card is now Magic Johnson's lowest valued autograph card according to Beckett. It's on par with the unlicensed Leaf autographs which aren't serial numbered. In fact his next cheapest single signed sticker autograph from Topps is exactly twice the book value (which is what the old book value was for this card).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.

With SPs in practically every pack these days, they aren't as special as they used to be. This is the mid-'80s to mid-'90s on a whole different scale. Autos, GU, variations, numbered versions, who cares? They're everywhere now and, thus, not worth as much. Thanks, card companies.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

To give some perspective, it's not like Beckett updated pricing for the whole set. The Magic auto is now worth 20% less than the Courtney Lee autograph, 20% less than the JJ Hickson autograph, and half the value of the Larry Bird autograph with the same print run of 499.
(05-30-2016, 12:20 PM)jonathani Wrote: With SPs in practically every pack these days, they aren't as special as they used to be. This is the mid-'80s to mid-'90s on a whole different scale. Autos, GU, variations, numbered versions, who cares? They're everywhere now and, thus, not worth as much. Thanks, card companies.
Thanks for the generalization. I agree that values are dropping overall due to the increase in total production and available choices. However this is the only Magic autograph I know of to have a 50% drop in value, and I am trying to figure out if it was simply a typo by someone at Beckett (as this has been known to happen before).