`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
whats going on with beckett pricing?

RE: whats going on with beckett pricing?
(11-10-2013, 06:58 PM)dustin12368 Wrote: they are lazy and only look at the flea market prices on ebay.
I would have summed it up a bit differently but I agree. There is no question at least in my mind its the only place were pricing research is being done anymore. If beckett were smart they'd try and corner the market and sign some sort of rights to completed auctions on ebay because if they're pricing is going to go strictly off that people who use that sort of pricing already get it free of charge. However if you take that from them you'd definitely get a huge bump back in the amount of people subscribing to their price guide. Personally I hate it but it is what it is. I think its beckett trying to play catch up and the mass BV down arrows gives collector's BV shock.
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

(11-11-2013, 02:46 PM)bgt masters of tikid Wrote: I would have summed it up a bit differently but I agree. There is no question at least in my mind its the only place were pricing research is being done anymore. If beckett were smart they'd try and corner the market and sign some sort of rights to completed auctions on ebay because if they're pricing is going to go strictly off that people who use that sort of pricing already get it free of charge. However if you take that from them you'd definitely get a huge bump back in the amount of people subscribing to their price guide. Personally I hate it but it is what it is. I think its beckett trying to play catch up and the mass BV down arrows gives collector's BV shock.
strongly disagree. ebay is NOT market value, and they still have a heavy reliance on brick and mortar reports. the problem is that brick and mortar stores are being screwed by the ignorance of the consumer, thinking they should pay ebay prices at brick and mortar stores

(11-11-2013, 05:28 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: strongly disagree. ebay is NOT market value, and they still have a heavy reliance on brick and mortar reports. the problem is that brick and mortar stores are being screwed by the ignorance of the consumer, thinking they should pay ebay prices at brick and mortar stores
+34 Agreed!!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Could it be because the baseball season ended? Are you guys seeing a drop in your other sports collections?

Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(11-11-2013, 05:28 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: strongly disagree. ebay is NOT market value, and they still have a heavy reliance on brick and mortar reports. the problem is that brick and mortar stores are being screwed by the ignorance of the consumer, thinking they should pay ebay prices at brick and mortar stores
What are you disagreeing about? I said its clearly in my mind where beckett is getting their new values from, I never said its what they should be doing. I think you might have misread what I wrote or I didn't get my message accross how I meant it.

(11-11-2013, 07:23 PM)bgt masters of tikid Wrote: What are you disagreeing about? I said its clearly in my mind where beckett is getting their new values from, I never said its what they should be doing. I think you might have misread what I wrote or I didn't get my message accross how I meant it.
I think that Josh thought, that you were implying that Beckett was only getting their figures from eBay. At least that's what I thought that you were implying.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

That is what I am implying so I guess he got me right. Its not how they used to only get their pricing but I think it is now. Its pretty easy to tell, for example I had purchased a /15#d card from 2003, it never had a BV for 10 years until I posted it for trade on the boards and within a week it had one. Happens ALL the time when I post recently purchased tradebait having the BV drop merely days later and I am not talking about brand new releases either. I can name another 20+ instances where this has happened lately, and with rarer serial numbered cards too. Besides its pretty hard to get daily up to date pricing by scouring for prices from card shows, shops, ect. For the majority of collectors online ebay value is the "true" real value.
I don't care for it, but its quite obvious. Whether I agree with it or not, from a business stand point they'd make far more money creating a new value guide strictly on ebay completed listings, that is if they could purchase the rights to those completed listings. Out of all of the sites I am on this is about the only one left where I can still enjoy trading by BV and even that is starting to shift as new members who use ebay as a guide are starting to flood the site recently. To old school collector;s its frustrating however I understand the shift on how things are done from a business standpoint.

(11-11-2013, 07:23 PM)bgt masters of tikid Wrote: What are you disagreeing about? I said its clearly in my mind where beckett is getting their new values from, I never said its what they should be doing. I think you might have misread what I wrote or I didn't get my message accross how I meant it.
as i said, beckett still heavily relies on brick and mortar stores. the problem is that brick and mortar stores are being hurt by ignorant consumers who assume ebay prices are market value

How is the consumer ignorant for expecting to pay ebay prices? Why should one pay more for a card at a brick and mortar store if the same cards are readily available for a lower price?

(11-12-2013, 12:48 PM)cardsfan73 Wrote: How is the consumer ignorant for expecting to pay ebay prices? Why should one pay more for a card at a brick and mortar store if the same cards are readily available for a lower price?
and thank you for proving my point

because with ebay, you dont get the same things as you get with brock and moprtar. the reason ebay prices are so low, are fairly obvious to anyone who thinks on it:

you dont get the card right away
cant inspect the card before purchasing
compared to B&M, much higher chance of fraud (B&M is essentially nil)
you have to, most time, pay for s/h

etc ad nauseum

and people wonder why hobby stores are closing left and right