`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: any Playstation gurus

OT: any Playstation gurus
I have a first generation PS3 (60 gig, though there's basically nothing on the drive right now bc I haven't had time to game in ages). I stream everything thru it and it's connected directly to my router. Recently, no matter what streaming service I use (netflix/amazon/mlb) it will play for about 10 minutes and then freeze. Sometimes the audio continues but the picture does not. I have to restart the whole machine to recover. I've done all the typical stuff like uninstalling/reinstalling netflix, restarting my internet connection, checking all the connections, etc. It really began after the latest netflix update earlier this week - but it's affecting all the programs.

Anyone have this happen to them or know what causes it?

Is my ancient baby about to die? (please say no)

Any advice/thoughts is appreciated.
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

RE: OT: any Playstation gurus
if you can, uninstall netflix and try again.
[Image: m3OLcuF.png]
Sig by: jbel4331 / STL Cardinals & Rams Collector

(04-26-2013, 06:35 PM)phreakyq Wrote: if you can, uninstall netflix and try again.
Tried that about 3x, including deleting all previous netflix data.

I just patiently vacuumed all of the vents, and relocated it to a different shelf, so we'll see if there was a ventilation issue. I've never been able to hear the fan so I can't gauge if it's gone bad.
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

is it a older ps3 or the newer slim model. i have an older one and after about 10 - 20 min of doing anything the jet engine kicks in on it. i think the slims ones are much quieter though.

Its one of the very first. I'm thinking it's a fan issue too. My fan never was super terrible, but now I'm not hearing it at all. I found a company (in St Louis) that seems pretty reputable for repairs, and won't break my bank. Just have to wait til payday next week. The sucky thing is I don't have any TV channels - so I'll be regulated to DVDs and computer use for a while. Actually, my dvd player is in for repair too - so I'll be stuck with the like three TV shows I have for my region2 dvd player!

(04-26-2013, 08:20 PM)tate31nym Wrote: Its one of the very first. I'm thinking it's a fan issue too. My fan never was super terrible, but now I'm not hearing it at all. I found a company (in St Louis) that seems pretty reputable for repairs, and won't break my bank. Just have to wait til payday next week. The sucky thing is I don't have any TV channels - so I'll be regulated to DVDs and computer use for a while. Actually, my dvd player is in for repair too - so I'll be stuck with the like three TV shows I have for my region2 dvd player!
I hav eno clue as to what it can be, however I do recommend not sending it to anyboday for repair......

Heres a story, my brother had no idea how to fix anything until our 1st ps3 started having problems with a blue light or something. He sent it to repair like 3 times and it worked for about a few weeks and then stopped working again. He decided to search for the problem and actually found some videos on youtube saying how to repair sertain ps3 problems. He then began repairing other peoples ps3s but always told them that it was a temporary solution. All those repairers will charge you some $$$ for having watched a youtube video and learned how to repair something like that. I recommend trying to find a solution if not then consider getting the new slim ps3 which is what we have now and had no problems in over a year and a half. good luck!!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

just wait for ps4 or xbox infity. you can prob buy some sort of blu-ray player with USB and/or PC hookups for less than the cost to fix & ship it. hell man, if you've got some cardinals stuff, i'll trade you my ps3.

(04-26-2013, 08:39 PM)phreakyq Wrote: just wait for ps4 or xbox infity. you can prob buy some sort of blu-ray player with USB and/or PC hookups for less than the cost to fix & ship it. hell man, if you've got some cardinals stuff, i'll trade you my ps3.
That'd be sweet but I highly doubt I have anything worthy of the trade up.

This company in St Louis looks pretty legit, they do all sorts of electronics repair, not just PS3, and it's only 100 bucks, including shipping. And I'm pretty sure I have the original box under a bed somewhere so it'd be secure.

Refurbished ones run $100-150 but I've always heard mixed reviews, mostly negative, about them.

Hopefully my paycheck will be nice enough that I can just go grab a new one in a bundle for $250ish and score a new controller and maybe some games in the deal too.

I don't game nearly enough to warrant a PS4.
If anything I'd get the Wii-U because they have a sweet new lego game, and I'm nerdy like that.

I would say its prob getting ready to die mine has been doing the same thing as of late. Shutting itself off here and there. As far as refurbished mine was and I had no issues with it till recently and I have had it for about 3 years so I would say that is prob the best route to go
[Image: banner4_zps7ecf2a69.jpg]

also dez bryant,any bama players in bama uni,john parker wilson,jered weaver,matt kemp,topps triple thread stuff,anthony rizzo

The older ones had problems with the silicon on the boards melting over time. I had two different ones I had to replace, including my 60 gig. I'm pretty sure you can get a new one from best buy for $149. You might even be able to trade in your old one towards it, especially if you have the old box. I'd suggest just going with that option if you can. Also, you might be able to contact Sony support and upgrade to the slim for a lowered price point. I did that a few years ago, not sure if they still offer that deal