`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Updating Beckett Pricing

Updating Beckett Pricing
I wonder how often Beckett updates their pricing of cards. Like how long will it take before there is any kind of pricing changes to the cards of the 1970's and 1980's. Or will it take another 20 years before the value of those cards from those years goes up. Example: when would you expect to see an increase in the price of Topps 1983 commons????? I know there are a million factors that go into play, supply, demand, economy. Just wondering out loud I guess.

RE: Updating Beckett Pricing
I don't think '70s and '80s commons see much change in value.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Yeah, I wouldn't hold your breath on the BV to change on the 80s stuff. -Cards from the early 70s seem to be seeing a bit of a resurgence, but most of the value is tied to condition. Cards in mint or near mint condition are desirable, the rest generally aren't. Maybe in 200 years cards from the 80s will be collectible again, most likely because cardboard will be seen as a novelty.

There are examples of inserts from the 90s being way undervalued in Beckett. It's just an example of how it can take a long time to catch up. You'll see on ebay cards with a BV of $2 selling for $10. -I'd expect if those cards continue to sell high, Beckett will eventually catch on. The thing is, there are generally few sales comps for Beckett to go by. Modern cards on the other hand are sold in much, much higher volume. The 90s inserts are relatively rare, in part, because they're buried in people's basements and rarely appear for sale. People who are trying to build some of those limited run sets from the 90s will pay a premium for them.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

What kind of inserts from the 1990's are you talking. Are they Topps inserts or cards from other card companies.

(01-21-2013, 07:06 PM)corbin21 Wrote: What kind of inserts from the 1990's are you talking. Are they Topps inserts or cards from other card companies.
I sent you a pm. -Some of the guys on here are more knowledgeable, so hopefully they chime in.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

donruss crusade is the one that always come to mind

the flaw with beckett pricing is they use ebay completed auctions in their formula and we all know that ebay actions no longer accurately gauge the value of a card because people don't bid the way they used to they now wait until the very last seconds of the auction to bid. So a card that might be worth lets say $5 as an example may only go for $1 or less because bidding doesn't start until the last few seconds and you don't get as many bids in as you might want because time runs out. That's the price for being cheap though I suppose.

It's also why you see more and more fixed price auctions that go untouched because sellers are tired of losing money.

a few examples would be griffey skylines or a few of the other hard to find ultra or pinnacle inserts. bv commonly has them in the 40-50 range yet you'd be lucky to find a skylines sell less than 80. it's tough because sometimes you just don't know, a collector like who knows a bit about a certain player but not everythinng, then someone has a ridiculous bin on something because it does sell for twice to 3 times the listed bv. then the seller laughs at you and calls you an idiot and tells you to get a clue when you send a best offer not knowing otherwise. trust me, it's happened more than a handfull of times to me
no org, please do not send trade requests

(01-21-2013, 08:20 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: the flaw with beckett pricing is they use ebay completed auctions in their formula and we all know that ebay actions no longer accurately gauge the value of a card because people don't bid the way they used to they now wait until the very last seconds of the auction to bid. So a card that might be worth lets say $5 as an example may only go for $1 or less because bidding doesn't start until the last few seconds and you don't get as many bids in as you might want because time runs out. That's the price for being cheap though I suppose.

It's also why you see more and more fixed price auctions that go untouched because sellers are tired of losing money.

ebay is only 1 very mall part of the formula

and there are still ways of finding out complete auction prices