`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for vintage set builders

Question for vintage set builders
Im about to start building the 1964 Topps set from scratch and was wondering how long it has taken some of you to do a set from scratch. I'm going to be a little picky and will be trying to grab the stars in graded slabs. I have a feeling this will take a few years.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

RE: Question for vintage set builders
(01-13-2013, 07:07 PM)Haze28 Wrote: Im about to start building the 1964 Topps set from scratch and was wondering how long it has taken some of you to do a set from scratch. I'm going to be a little picky and will be trying to grab the stars in graded slabs. I have a feeling this will take a few years.
I think a lot of it will come down to the condition you are after, the funding you have available, and if you are doing anything else within the hobby at the same time.

I completed my '55 Topps set at the start of 2012 after starting it circa 2000. Granted, I was out of the hobby from about 2004-2009 and when I was in it, I was also chasing other things in the hobby which slowed progress down. I was lucky in that around the 2000 timeframe on the ebay discussion boards (used to be a decent place) someone was upgrading their '55 set to chase an all PSA 8 version and I got almost half of his set to begin with.

We are doing a 57 Graded Set.Started looking at 5 and above but lately have just been going for 7 and 8.About 15 months and we have 80 some cards.Probably be done in another 4 or 5 years I hope.

(01-13-2013, 07:07 PM)Haze28 Wrote: Im about to start building the 1964 Topps set from scratch and was wondering how long it has taken some of you to do a set from scratch. I'm going to be a little picky and will be trying to grab the stars in graded slabs. I have a feeling this will take a few years.

That's some good input, this set wont be the only thing I'm working on and I will be trying to stick to the best condition possible. A guy at the Sun Times show here in Chicago was trying to convince me into doing the whole set graded but that would probably be too much for me to handle. I won't mind if the set takes 3-4 years to finish as long as I get the best quality possible.

I started a 1958 ungraded high-grade set in November, 2011, and am down to 4 cards. I have traded for a lot of mine, but have bought a few to help save on how much I am spending on it.

My tip for you (and I learned this in starting my next two projects: 61 and 57) is to buy a large lot to get you started. I got a lot of about 100 Ex+ 1961s for $40 shipped. It has helped out tremendously.

That would be my suggestion because then you can upgrade any you need to upgrade and sell the leftovers (or trade them for more cards of the set).

Hope this helps.

I have done a few vintage sets, including that year. It usually takes me a couple of years. There is always a few things besides the set you are working that you will end up buying. Depending on how much your budget is will depend how long it will take you, but the fun is on the search of great cards at good price.

Im doing the 1964 topps venezuelan and i wouldnt know how much longer it will take me to put it together. I got the majority from my dad so i didnt have to start from scratch. Im also not worried about the condition because its a very tough set to put together!!!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

I just finished 58 and 69 this past year. I worked on them over about 2 years, after having acquired the majority in a large lot some years prior. I found that comc.com was a great source for commons. Now, I'm not at all picky with condition, I just need it to look appealing. The higher the grade, the longer you'll wait usually, unless money isn't an option.
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

(01-15-2013, 10:25 PM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: Im doing the 1964 topps venezuelan and i wouldnt know how much longer it will take me to put it together. I got the majority from my dad so i didnt have to start from scratch. Im also not worried about the condition because its a very tough set to put together!!!
Good luck with that, the Venezuelans are expensive!

If you can find bulk lots it will be easier. It took me about 6 months to complete the '73 Topps set, but I didn't have the challenge of the tough high numbers that you will.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts