`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The JSA "Approval" List

The JSA "Approval" List
So after a few email exchanges with a BGS rep I was given an informal list that was newly implemented in early November of this year. This is a list of certified autographs from the 1990's that came pre-packaged from the manufacturer. Most notably the Skybox Autographics brand. These cards MUST be sent to JSA first before being sent to BGS for grading, which costs $30 per card before shipping, insurance and possibly tax (if you're a TX resident).

It is my unfortunate luck that I was one of the few early customers that had to find this out the hard way. Really though I had to do a little digging after both of my orders were sent back. I really wish though that the people at Beckett would publish this list on their BGS website (with more detail) so people wont waste their money on shipping and insurance like I did.

Here is the email/list:

Here is the list that Beckett Grading requires to be sent to JSA:

The following autographed cards/sets MUST go through the JSA/BGS authentication process:

* ALL YEARS Topps Rookie Premiere/Topps Photo Shoot/Topps AFLAC Autographs unless machine serial numbered by Topps

* ALL YEARS Star Pics Autographs (key players)

* ALL YEARS Pro Line Autographs (key players)

* ALL YEARS Scoreboard/Classic/Front Row/Little Sun Autographs of Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Shaquille O'Neal & Kobe Bryant

* ALL YEARS Upper Deck Buyback Autographs that do not have the original UDA Certificate

* 1994 Upper Deck Alex Rodriquez, Mickey Mantle & Ken Griffey Jr. Autographs

* 2001 Fleer Legacy Albert Pujols Autographs

* Signature Rookies Autographs with ONLY a sticker for Authenticity

* 1993 -94 Hoops Magic/Bird Auto

* Fleer Autographs with questionable embossments (1992-93 Scottie Pippin, Tony Gwynn, Steve Young, etc.)

* Fleer Autographs missing factory serial numbering (because of the influx of unsigned blank auto cards due to the Fleer bankruptcy sale)

* Any key player Fleer/Skybox Autographs that were issued without factory-stamped serial numbers, regardless of embossments (including Skybox Autographics)

* Key Non Sport Autos - primarily Inkworks and Topps. Some known fakes include:

Jessica Alba - Dark Angel
Angelina Jolie - Tomb Raider 1 & 2
Several - Harry Potter
Chris Farley - Star Pics SNL
Katie Holmes - Batman Begins

Many others - if it look fishy, send it to JSA!

*Besides specific cards on this list, BGS reserves the right to refer any autographed card to JSA/BGS service if there are questionable aspects to that particular card.

This list pretty much remains the same unless a certain set or card begins to have a lot of counterfits pop up.

Skybox Autographics Set Collector

RE: The JSA "Approval" List
Wow thanks for sharing. I wonder how many other people fell victim to this process.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

Me twice and from what I was told in an email a few others as well. Guess I'm the first one to voice my opinion on the forums about it.

Other than that I talked to the fine folks at SGC Grading and they are grading 10 cards for me out of the 1996-97 Skybox Autographics set for $110 and 10 day service. Can't beat that.

(12-08-2012, 06:01 PM)jchavestx Wrote: Other than that I talked to the fine folks at SGC Grading and they are grading 10 cards for me out of the 1996-97 Skybox Autographics set for $110 and 10 day service. Can't beat that.
You could go to your LCS and buy 10 top loaders. That'd be cheaper and better than SGC.

(12-09-2012, 02:47 AM)kr0n420 Wrote: You could go to your LCS and buy 10 top loaders. That'd be cheaper and better than SGC.
Totally DISAGREE!!!
SGC has been at this ALOT longer than Beckett has.
Sure BGS and PSA high grades grab a lil more cash On the resale market, but as far as grading a card and determining if it's fake or not, SGC is still one of the best (and at this point maybe better than BGS).
This is just a BS move on Beckett Grading. Truly let's me down as a customer.
I have had cards like the one mentioned graded by BGS with no issues. Why now?
What happened to the guys that graded my previous ones?

BTW: one way you can tell this is a BS move on BGS to just shift more cash out of us so they can just slab any card with a "congrats" message on the back and make us pay more for the others is this.
BGS grades Star Basketball.
Every other grading company refuses to. Period. To many good fakes out there (because the original printing of these were low quality it's almost impossible to tell a fake).
How can you grade one highly counterfeit set but refuse on others but then recommend us paying more money and then maybe it will get graded (in reference to 90's autographs).
I also like it only says "key players". So if it's a common player or mid range than they will grade it but not for a top player, huh?
Them we have to pay more for this extra service.

(12-09-2012, 08:50 AM)creativemunky Wrote: Totally DISAGREE!!!
SGC has been at this ALOT longer than Beckett has.
Sure BGS and PSA high grades grab a lil more cash On the resale market, but as far as grading a card and determining if it's fake or not, SGC is still one of the best (and at this point maybe better than BGS).
This is just a BS move on Beckett Grading. Truly let's me down as a customer.
I have had cards like the one mentioned graded by BGS with no issues. Why now?
What happened to the guys that graded my previous ones?

BTW: one way you can tell this is a BS move on BGS to just shift more cash out of us so they can just slab any card with a "congrats" message on the back and make us pay more for the others is this.
BGS grades Star Basketball.
Every other grading company refuses to. Period. To many good fakes out there (because the original printing of these were low quality it's almost impossible to tell a fake).
How can you grade one highly counterfeit set but refuse on others but then recommend us paying more money and then maybe it will get graded (in reference to 90's autographs).
I also like it only says "key players". So if it's a common player or mid range than they will grade it but not for a top player, huh?
Them we have to pay more for this extra service.
The difference is SGC is a grading and authenticator. company. Beckett is a grading/magazine/pricing/ advertising/media company.

That's why I prefer sgc. Oh yeah...there customer service knocks bgs customer service out of the park. And after the strasburg fiasco and the Aaron Rodgers fiasco....well....this all speaks for itself of whom I am not a fan of.

Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

You can also talk to or email the SGC graders. Oh yeah SGC's customer service reps also speak fluent english.

(12-09-2012, 02:26 PM)jchavestx Wrote: You can also talk to or email the SGC graders. Oh yeah SGC's customer service reps also speak fluent english.
I love the fact I submitted 4 cards to sgc and I got a phone call from Earl to let me know they arrived, total value on the cards was about $50.00. My last submission to beckett included over 100 cards with a combined value over $5000 and they can't even email me to say they got them, but they can have a telemarketer call me to solicit me a crappy special......it doesn't take a genius to see that all they care about is money and not building relationships.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

I'll be sure to post the scans of the slabs I get back for an SGC mailday.

I agree, the BGS reps have a flimsy grasp on English. I guess it all depends on why you're grading.
I like them to be well presented, but more importantly I want them protected.

In my experience, SGC is horrid at protection and preservation. Why anyone would entrust the condition of their card to SGC is beyond me. It's just gonna sit in their holder and bang around, which is why I suggested a top loader as opposed to using them, it's essentially the same thing.