`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Jordan vs Jordan

RE: Jordan vs Jordan
Nice conversation going here and some really good points being raised.

I think a lot of factors are in play when it comes to the MJ prices that are being realized these days. International popularity for the man and the sport are clearly a major one. MJ has the broadest appeal of all sports icons, not only of our time but perhaps of all time.

When talking about 90's inserts I think the biggest factor is who the collector is. Most people chasing these are guys in their 30s that grew up collecting these cards and are finding their way back to the hobby now, with a load of disposable income. Most remember ripping pack after pack, more often than not unsuccessfully searching for that elusive MJ insert. Now that eBay puts a wealth off cards at our fingertips and we have the money to spend, of course these will see a boom in demand. This is no different than what happened with Mantle cards at the boom of the hobby back in the late 80s and 90s.

Another major factor is the egos involved in the registry sets/showing off collections on forums like these and other online avenues for displaying awesome cards.Depending on which big boy collector is after what card at a certain time could make prices go through the roof...especially if multiple high end collectors are after the same one.

While the market will ebb and flow I think MJs stuff is easily the surest bet in the hobby. Over time its hard to imagine anyone taking a bath on high end MJs. This 90s insert craze has been going strong for a minute and i doubt it slows anytime soon.

^ Yup. Great post user_3n5kp.

Wow. Card I sold for $5.623.23 a week ago just got bumped up from BGS 9 to a Gem 9.5 with an asking price of $19,500.00!!

www.ebay.com/itm/121032631191

to

www.ebay.com/itm/121040580285

I should've re-submitted it myself. =(

(12-17-2012, 10:28 PM)rare23air83 Wrote: Wow. Card I sold for $5.623.23 a week ago just got bumped up from BGS 9 to a Gem 9.5 at $19,500.00!!

to

Damn bro...that sucks! It's not every day someone looses out on 14 stacks. Really does suck man. It's the nature of this hobby as we know it I guess.

Do you think it was bumped up from shady stuff? I remember the topic on Hobby Kings. What's your thought on how it conveniently got bumped up? I'd be suspicious and pissed off at Becket... that's just me.
Personally I don't see how it received an 8.5 on the corners???? Just seems weird to me. Don't think anyone has bid on it yet?...At least not when I last checked.

i wonder how it changed hands so quick, going from you, to the buyer, buyer to either new seller or bgs for regrade, back to the sender, and now on ebay. thats quick action.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

i would have to go with the 1997-98 Metal Universe PRECIOUS METAL GEMS Ruby as i always have like the looks of them

(12-17-2012, 10:38 PM)mickey7mantle7 Wrote: Damn bro...that sucks! It's not every day someone looses out on 14 stacks. Really does suck man. It's the nature of this hobby as we know it I guess.

Do you think it was bumped up from shady stuff? I remember the topic on Hobby Kings. What's your thought on how it conveniently got bumped up? I'd be suspicious and pissed off at Becket... that's just me.
Personally I don't see how it received an 8.5 on the corners???? Just seems weird to me. Don't think anyone has bid on it yet?...At least not when I last checked.
Just shows how easily a grade can change when the card stays EXACTLY the same. One of the biggest reasons why I won't pay for the grade on a card anymore. And no, it's not sold. That price is just the owners asking price.
(12-17-2012, 11:56 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: i wonder how it changed hands so quick, going from you, to the buyer, buyer to either new seller or bgs for regrade, back to the sender, and now on ebay. thats quick action.
Winner happened to be a local card shop/dealer about an hour away. He drove down, paid cash and left with the card. He most likely overnighted it to Beckett, had 2 day turnaround and just received it back.

That buyer got really lucky. I can't believe he did it so quick and easy too. Wow!

(12-17-2012, 10:28 PM)rare23air83 Wrote: Wow. Card I sold for $5.623.23 a week ago just got bumped up from BGS 9 to a Gem 9.5 with an asking price of $19,500.00!!

to

If regrades like that keep happening, then this hobby will be worthless in my eye's, i really wish BGS was as strict as they use to be with grades, as this is becoming a joke.....
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

wow, that is crazy!

I saw the card on the bay and was wondering if it was the one you sold, but dismissed it because of the grade. I should have had a closer look, lol.

Because of the way those were produced, most would grade 9 or higher. Anyone paying such a huge premium because it's graded half a mark higher should have their head checked, lol.

Makes you wonder if you should get that PMG graded...
[Image: Sig_zps7c9cccea.jpg]