`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The De-saturation of the Hall of Fame

The De-saturation of the Hall of Fame
The Hall of Fame has named 10 finalists for the pre-integration ballot for the consideration of induction in 2013. Six are players, three are executives and one is an umpire. They are Samuel Breadon, Bill Dahlen, Wes Ferrell, Marty Marion, Tony Mullane, Hank O’Day, Alfred Reach, Jacob Ruppert, Bucky Walters and Deacon White. I have heard of six of these guys. How many have you heard of? Wouldn't people need to know your name in order for you to be "famous"? I think there are many players in the Hall now who are not "Hall-worthy".

http://baseballhall.org/news/press-relea...ation-2013

Some of these guys had special moments and even a couple of special seasons but none of them had truly remarkable careers. Mediocre at best in my opinion. Maybe it just doesn't sit well with me as I collect Hall of Fame players and here's a bunch of less than stellar players that I am going to have to add to my collection. I can think of other players more deserving.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

RE: The De-saturation of the Hall of Fame
i know none of them
I collect current Braves and Braves Prospects Autograph, Memorabilia, First Year and Rookie Cards.

Don't Click Here.

[Image: 5WSGR.png]

Dahlen, Mullane and Walters should have been in the Hall long ago.
XX

Marty Marion for sure I've heard of, and maybe Walters. Thats it.
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

I have heard of 5 of them. The rest I had to look up. But I am a history nut so I may have more knowledge of the older guys then many.
[Image: yankees2copy.jpg]

(11-07-2012, 03:22 PM)sportscardtheory Wrote: Dahlen, Mullane and Walters should have been in the Hall long ago.
Ruppert, Al Reach and O'Day should have as well. The Yankees are what they are today because of the vision and drive of Ruppert and one of the things we most take for granted today, the baseball, is what it is because of the innovations Al Reach devised. Hank O'Day was said to have been a pillar of a honesty as an umpire at a time when umpires were treated terribly. An invite to the Hall has been long overdue, in my opinion.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

Heard and know of 8 of them.

I haven't heard of any of them.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I wouldn't mind any of them getting in.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

It sure would be nice to see Bill Dahlen get in since I already have the T-206 card Smile
I have heard of all of them.
Story on Deacon White:
James Laurie "Deacon" White (December 7, 1847 – July 7, 1939) was an American baseball player who was one of the principal stars during the first two decades of the sport's professional era. The outstanding catcher of the 1870s during baseball's barehanded period, he caught more games than any other player during the decade, and was a major figure on five consecutive championship teams from 1873 to 1877 – three in the National Association (NA), in which he played throughout its five-year existence from 1871 to 1875, and two in the National League (NL), which was formed as the first recognized major league in 1876, partially as a result of White and three other stars moving from the powerhouse Boston Red Stockings to the Chicago White Stockings. Although he was already 28 when the NL was established, White played 15 seasons in the major leagues, completing a 23-year career at the top levels of the sport.

In 1871, White was the first batter to come to the plate in the National Association, the first professional baseball league. After compiling a .347 batting average over five NA seasons, he led the NL in runs batted in (RBI) in its first two seasons of play, and also led the league in batting (.387), slugging average, hits, triples and total bases in a brief shift to first base in 1877. In his mid-30s he became an effective third baseman when the toil of catching had become too great, and was a major force on the championship Detroit Wolverines team of 1887, batting .303 at age 39. Over the 20-year period from 1871 to 1890, White batted .312 and had more RBI (977) than any player except Cap Anson, and also ranked fourth in career games (1,560), at bats (6,624), hits (2,066) and total bases (2,595). He also ended his career ranking fourth in major league history in games (826) and total chances (3,016) at third base, fifth in assists (1,618), and sixth in putouts (954) and double plays (118). His brother Will was a noted major league pitcher, and his teammate from 1877 to 1880, and his cousin Elmer is notable for being the first recorded professional baseball player to die in March of 1872.

Bill Dahlen story:
William Frederick Dahlen (January 5, 1870 – December 5, 1950), nicknamed"Bad Bill" for his ferocious temperament, was an American professional baseball player and manager. He played as a shortstop in Major League Baseball for four National League teams from 1891 to 1911. After twice batting over .350 for the Chicago Colts, he starred on championship teams with the Brooklyn Superbas and the New York Giants. At the end of his career he held the major league record for career games played (2,443); he ranked second in walks (1,064, behind Billy Hamilton's 1,187) and fifth in at bats (9,033), and was among the top ten in runs batted in (1,234), doubles (414) and extra base hits (661). He was also among the NL's top seven players in hits (2,461; some sources list totals up to 2,471), runs (1,589), triples (163) and total bases (3,447). After leading the league in assists four times and double plays three times, he set major league records for career games (2,132), putouts (4,850), assists (7,500), total chances (13,325) and double plays (881) as a shortstop; he still holds the record for total chances, and is second in putouts and fourth in assists. His 42-game hitting streak in 1894 was a record until 1897, and remains the fourth longest in history and the longest by a right-handed NL hitter.
Both of which should be in the HOF in my opinion.
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]