`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
World Series thoughts?

World Series thoughts?
So, the Giants are en route to a pretty impressive comeback (only the 3rd or 4th team to come back from a 3-1 deficit in the NLCS). Giants are as hot as can be right now. How do you guys think they'll stack up against the Tigers? Despite having a few star players (Verlander, Prince, and Cabrera) I don't get the sense that the Tigers are very well liked by the casual baseball fan. From that perspective, I see more people rooting for the Giants. Am I off-base here?

In my opinion, despite the Giants hot streak, the Tigers will be a tough team to beat. They seem to have a clear edge in starting pitching and hitting. The Giants have better defense, relief, and speed. With that said, it's late-October baseball and it's hard to predict the Tigers performance. They've been a frustratingly streaky team all season. The bullpen is a major wild card with Valverde's status somewhat up in the air and the rest of the case performing above expectations so far (aside from Benoit).

Win or lose, the World Series is my favorite time of year.

When all is said and done, I'm picking the Tigers in 5. (might be optimistic, but what the heck). At the same time, it wouldn't shock me to see the Giants run away with it. You just never know. I'm concerned that the Tigers weren't tested against the Yankees and might be rusty after the nearly week long layoff.

[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

RE: World Series thoughts?
Tigers all the way.......the magical season for Cabrera.

Lead the league in hr,RBI,avg.,triple crown,MVP, and the cherry on top(world series winner)
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

I believe the week-long layoff will hurt the Tigers. But it will also allow them to get their pitching rotation ready where Verlander can go Game 1, 4 and 7 if need be. Although Bleacher Report believes Giants will dominate Tigers in the World Series. I can't believe baseball didn't make 1 of the big wigs (Yanks, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs) at least get to the World series. That would have shot the ratings up. I don't think ratings will do good in this series.

That being said, I don't really care who wins at this point. The Giants just won it 2 years ago and didn't the Tigers beat the Cardinals not too long ago? That's not the reason I have no interest. I probably won't watch a single game because I can't stand Tim McCarver's announcing. I might find it on ESPN Radio in my office at home and listen while I do card stuff, or watch other stuff on TV. But won't be watching.

(10-22-2012, 10:43 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: I believe the week-long layoff will hurt the Tigers. But it will also allow them to get their pitching rotation ready where Verlander can go Game 1, 4 and 7 if need be. Although Bleacher Report believes Giants will dominate Tigers in the World Series. I can't believe baseball didn't make 1 of the big wigs (Yanks, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs) at least get to the World series. That would have shot the ratings up. I don't think ratings will do good in this series.

That being said, I don't really care who wins at this point. The Giants just won it 2 years ago and didn't the Tigers beat the Cardinals not too long ago? That's not the reason I have no interest. I probably won't watch a single game because I can't stand Tim McCarver's announcing. I might find it on ESPN Radio in my office at home and listen while I do card stuff, or watch other stuff on TV. But won't be watching.
I'm not crazy about McCarver (or Buck, for that matter), but I'll be tuning in to see the Tigers make a run for it. -Tigers lost to the Cards in '06 and haven't won since '84.

I think an ideal WS match-up from MLB's perspective would've included the Nats (vs Yanks). It doesn't make too much of a difference to me, but I can understand it if this WS doesn't capture the attention of the nation. Hopefully Cabrera's triple crown sparks some interest in potential viewers. -This has been a spectacular postseason so far.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(10-22-2012, 10:35 PM)uvaspina Wrote: So, the Giants are en route to a pretty impressive comeback (only the 3rd or 4th team to come back from a 3-1 deficit in the NLCS). Giants are as hot as can be right now. How do you guys think they'll stack up against the Tigers? Despite having a few star players (Verlander, Prince, and Cabrera) I don't get the sense that the Tigers are very well liked by the casual baseball fan. From that perspective, I see more people rooting for the Giants. Am I off-base here?

In my opinion, despite the Giants hot streak, the Tigers will be a tough team to beat. They seem to have a clear edge in starting pitching and hitting. The Giants have better defense, relief, and speed. With that said, it's late-October baseball and it's hard to predict the Tigers performance. They've been a frustratingly streaky team all season. The bullpen is a major wild card with Valverde's status somewhat up in the air and the rest of the case performing above expectations so far (aside from Benoit).

Win or lose, the World Series is my favorite time of year.

When all is said and done, I'm picking the Tigers in 5. (might be optimistic, but what the heck). At the same time, it wouldn't shock me to see the Giants run away with it. You just never know. I'm concerned that the Tigers weren't tested against the Yankees and might be rusty after the nearly week long layoff.
1st: Congrats for SF to come back down 3-1. I don't see the layoff affecting them in a negative way. If the Tigers starting pitchers continue with the microscopic ERA then SF is in trouble. Also Detroit has a powerful line up & that needs to be neutralized if possible. SF can score a lot of runs (20 in last 3 games). I think the scouts who discect the players do a great job. Maybe thats why some star players just melt during the playoffs, but thats only an opinion. I would like to see an exciting series, no blowouts, sweeps etc.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

I was rooting for an '06 WS rematch myself. I am (of course) an STL fan, but I think the extra time off benefits the Tigers greatly. They get to set their SP rotation however they feel will benefit them most. The DET pitchers that are best on the road will pitch the 1st two games and be available for the last 2 games (if neccessary). I really think DET will take this one, BUT it won't be easy. I see the WS going to a minimum of 6 games.
SF is a good team offensively and the starting pitchers are very impressive. If neither team has an injury to a Starting Pitcher or a clutch or power hitter, it will be a great series.
I really think that SF beat STL b/c Kyle Lohse getting injured really destroyed the confidence of STL. Beltran's injury hurt some too, but Lohse not pitching at all in the series AND Chris Carpenter having serious trouble getting out of the 1st two innings in either game REALLY hurt the Cards' mentality.
Anyway, to answer the question--- DET over SF --- 4 g's to 2 g's

I thinks its gonna be a great series. Don't care who wins cuz I got players I like on both teams, but the edge for me goes to the Tigers. I like Buster Posey and if the Giants win and he's WS MVP or at least productive I'll be happy. If the Tigers win hopefully Verlander or Miggy get MVP. Verlander is just amazing and have always liked Miggy since his days with the Marlins, wish they never traded him. I'm thinking the Tigers in 5 or 6.

My heart (and Sig) says go tigers but gotta give it to the giants for doing what they have done. This will be an interesting series seeing both teams are hungry for the title. GL to both (more tigers thoughtLOL)
I collect "THE 27 CLUB" - Matt Kemp & Mike Trout RC's
[Image: RyinvZK.png]
[Image: beckett2_zps5fe6c285.jpg]
~! KEEP THE HOBBY ALIVE !~
Props to jbel4331

Tigers win in 6, fielder sits on lincecum while cabrera shaves that little hippie's hair

I'm going with the Giants in 6. The Tigers pitchers looked too hittable against the Yankees, we just were too wiped out to remember how to hit. The Giants seem to be hitting very well right now, so the Tigers staff will have their problems; even Verlander who wasn't as great as last year. If the can contain Fielder (like the Yankees) and contain Young (which the Yankees couldn't do) they will come out on top.

At least the Giants saved us from having the 2 worst record teams in the World Series with a great comeback.