`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pujols rethinking move to LA?

Pujols rethinking move to LA?
Watching the Cardinals win the play-in game last night, I couldn't help but wonder what Albert Pujols must be thinking. Sitting at home watching his former teammates advance in the playoffs without him. I'm sure he has $25 million reasons not to worry about it too much, but he strikes me as a guy that this type of thing would matter to.

At the time Pujols signed with the Angels, most people seemed to be bummed that he was leaving St. Louis- a place where he'd be revered forever and could age gracefully and still be considered at the top of his game long after he had actually peaked (like Jeter). Now, his star power has dimmed and seems destined to be overshadowed by Trout for the rest of his career.

Don't misunderstand me- I'm a Pujols fan (and the Cardinals were my NL team growing up), but in this case, it's especially disappointing seeing a star leave for pastures that turn out not to be so green.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

RE: Pujols rethinking move to LA?
You're right, he could have stayed and been revered as a franchise player but he left and will be overshadowed by Trout. It's too bad, really. I mean if he took less money and stayed, he'd be the face of the franchise. Now that he left, he has the money, but isn't the face of the franchise. It's a tradeoff, I guess, but he's probably rethinking right about now.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Just because Trout had a great rookie year doesn’t make him the franchise. Let’s wait a few years and see what happens. I have seen player have one great year and become bums over night. Just remember he was new and the pitchers might figure him out and then everyone will be relying on Pujols. I feel he did this as he is hoping to be the homerun king before his career ends. (9 Years left and only 288 homeruns to go so with an average of 32 home runs a year he could be the homerun king.)
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

(10-06-2012, 11:19 AM)chrisa19978 Wrote: Just because Trout had a great rookie year doesn’t make him the franchise. Let’s wait a few years and see what happens. I have seen player have one great year and become bums over night. Just remember he was new and the pitchers might figure him out and then everyone will be relying on Pujols. I feel he did this as he is hoping to be the homerun king before his career ends. (9 Years left and only 288 homeruns to go so with an average of 32 home runs a year he could be the homerun king.)
I'm not necessarily saying that Trout is the franchise...yet, but it's undeniable that Pujols star has lost a little luster in LA. I'm pulling for him to be the homerun king, too, but I don't think he'll average 32 a year from age 33 to 41. I hope he proves me wrong, but 20-25(on average over 9 years) seems more realistic. -Look what happened to ARod. His home run totals from age 33 through 36 seasons are as follows: 30, 30, 16, 18. Sure, there's an injury history there (and missed games to go along with them) but it's not unlikely that Pujols will encounter the same set backs. (-I'll admit, Pujols has been extraordinarily dependable to date, so maybe that's not an entirely fair comparison).
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.

I agree he should have retired with the cards. Just like chipper is retiring with the same team he started with. Not a sellout like teixeira, sabathia, OR FREAKING ICHIRO lol idk what ichiro was thinking.
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

Mark My words Dont be Suprised if Pujols is the best Player for the Angels for the next 3-4 years. It took him a while to get adjusted but finally came on in the end. Look at Pujols and Trouts Numbers after the all-star break. Expect Pujols to Come out Stong out of the gate next year and sustain it though out the year. To answer your question No he is not re-thinking his move. Sooner or later it will be the Cardinals re-thinking that they should have upped the anti and re-signed pujols.
I Collect Hofers and or Potiential surefire Hofers!

(10-07-2012, 12:34 AM)hofergreats1 Wrote: Mark My words Dont be Suprised if Pujols is the best Player for the Angels for the next 3-4 years. It took him a while to get adjusted but finally came on in the end. Look at Pujols and Trouts Numbers after the all-star break. Expect Pujols to Come out Stong out of the gate next year and sustain it though out the year. To answer your question No he is not re-thinking his move. Sooner or later it will be the Cardinals re-thinking that they should have upped the anti and re-signed pujols.
While i agree with the first part of your statement, i dont think you could be more wrong about the 2nd part. Cardinals arent missing anything with Pujols gone, he would have crippled the club financially. With him gone we were able to resign Molina, and go out and get Beltran.

Good riddance, and thanks for the great years, he can gladly lay that financial burden elsewhere.
[Image: n0Ji6.png]

(10-07-2012, 12:38 AM)Krangry Wrote: While i agree with the first part of your statement, i dont think you could be more wrong about the 2nd part. Cardinals arent missing anything with Pujols gone, he would have crippled the club financially. With him gone we were able to resign Molina, and go out and get Beltran.

Good riddance, and thanks for the great years, he can gladly lay that financial burden elsewhere.
I totally agree!
I was a bit PO'd by AP leaving, but I think it helps STL in the end. If he was so intent upon taking more money to play the same position he was declining in, Good Riddance.
I think STL rebounded nicely already!

I don't think Pujols is done by any means, but I do think it's easier for fans in LA (and for management, for that matter), to be of the "what have you done for me mindset." Unlike St. Louis fans, they didnt see him come up through the farm system, and develop into the best player in baseball, and become a beloved local sports hero. They just see a future hall of famer on the downswing, who can hopefully remain productive for several more years. We had something like this in Detroit called Pudge Rodriguez. Sure, he absolutely had his fans here and was instrumental in turning this team around, but in the end, he was just another aging star who it was easy for the fans and management to cut bait on.

I'd be shocked if Pujols plays out his entire contract for the Angels. Somewhere around 2019, when the Angels have announced that Pujols will be splitting at bats at DH, and getting only spot starts at 1st, they'll trade his contract for .50c on the dollar to Baltimore or Minnesota.

Don't think for a second that the Angels won't give AP the Vernon Wells treatment. Also, keep in mind the Angels get $150m per year from their tv deal.

As a Cardinal fan, I can honestly say that it hurt greatly seeing Albert leave this way. At first I was bitter and upset that the front office didn't do more to retain him. But as mentioned before it would have strapped the Cardinals in the years to come.
On the personal side of it. I do hope that Albert is sitting in LA and wondering what if he had stayed. As I said before, first I was bitter, now I'm just dissapointed in him. I thought the guy was a selfless team player but he proved he is only in it for the money and recognition of becoming the home run king, maybe. It really got to me when my 9 year old asked me "Dad, why is Albert leaving".