`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
97-98 Topps Chrome/ 96-97 Fleer/ 96-97 Topps Stars

97-98 Topps Chrome/ 96-97 Fleer/ 96-97 Topps Stars
Which box is best? Best inserts, RCs, MJs? Do they all stink?

RE: 97-98 Topps Chrome/ 96-97 Fleer/ 96-97 Topps Stars
I am a big fan of the topps chrome, don't know if it is the best or not.
I collect Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Kevin Garnett also certain High End Celtics HOF's.

[Image: jordanbird_edited-1.gif]

I would say that the Topps Stars has a larger variety of MJs. For example that product has 3 refractor and 3 atomic refractors. It also has three base version and 3 finest parallel versions. Also has a couple othter insert type cards and some parallels. Topps Chrome that year has the base refractor and I believe a couple insert sets which also contain refractors. The Fleer from that year has 1 high end card (Thrill Seekers), but other than that has just some mid-level cards ($30-60). So if you want the most variety I would say Topps Stars (and probably the best chance to get an MJ as it has the most MJs in that product compared to the others). If you want a chance of hitting a high end card then Fleer would be your way to go to hopefully get the MJ Thrill Seekers (although pretty tough). Chrome is personally my favorite type of card, but only has a few MJs in that set. Just my thoughts.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up pulling the trigger on 5 80-81 topps packs to go after another bird/magic RC, an 81-82 east wax box for bird/magic 2nd yr and the mchale RC, and 4 87-88 fleer packs for fun. I have the mj graded 9 and another at bgs but I still need the sticker. Also a few 86 topps football (rice). The new stuff has me all confused so I gave up and went 80s!

If there is any interest, I'll,post results next week.

Not a bad subsitute. A little late but my 2 cents would have been Topps Stars first, Chrome second and probably avoid the Fleer.

Hit anything big in "vintage" packs?
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

(09-22-2012, 11:41 AM)crimedawg47 Wrote: Not a bad subsitute. A little late but my 2 cents would have been Topps Stars first, Chrome second and probably avoid the Fleer.

Hit anything big in "vintage" packs?
Yeah I'd agree w/ that 100%. Topps Stars is pricier, but more chance at an MJ reward. Be sure you post the vintage break results! (and trade me the MJ if you hit another, I need a second-year! Smile
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

Chrome if I was you
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

Thanks everyone for the opinions. There is just so much choice for newer product out there it can feel almost impossible to navigate through it all!

I didn't get the boxes/packs delivered in time for a weekend rip like i had hoped but should have the 80-81 and 81-82 Topps in hand by mid week. The 87-88 Fleer and 86 Football are part of a group rip I'm doing with a bunch of people so those probably won't be ripped until next week. If i hit another Jordan it will be available for trade. Odds are good since I hit one in the last 2 packs I ripped Smile

Scans of anything noteworthy will be up in a new thread once the ripping commences.