`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Smudged autos

RE: Smudged autos
Yeah, I mean, unless the smudge is really bad or you're really unhappy with it, or you're worried about grading it or flipping it, it might be cool to keep them just for the "character" of the sig ...

(09-26-2012, 12:20 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yeah, I mean, unless the smudge is really bad or you're really unhappy with it, or you're worried about grading it or flipping it, it might be cool to keep them just for the "character" of the sig ...
Yeah I was thinking of flipping it. And the strange thing i noticed about is that it almost seems as though it was run through some machine AFTER the auto was put on the card. Perhaps a machine that inserts the cards into a stack for packaging or something. If you're familiar with the Chrome cards, you often see lines going vertical across the cards & there are basically lines through the autos. Would be cool if it was a Stanton fingerprint, I guess, but it's obviously more of a Topps machine error. Still haven't checked with my local card guy so we'll see what he says. thx

I'd try to get a replacement, but if not I'd probably keep them. If the smudging bothers you, then sell them on eBay and get autos of Stanton and Nova that aren't smudged with the money from selling these two cards.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Think long term. In 50 years they will have ways to check fingerprints and DNA to authenticate autos. Yours has the proof right on it. Haha!
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

I have a Stan lee with a smudge...now it's a DNA card
[Image: dontpray11.png]

Update if at all curious: my LCS guy (Nick) said to send the cards to Topps with a very polite note asking if there's anything they'd be willing to do to help. He said he's seen it work before. Will post an update when i hear something. He also said he'd seen several 2010 chromes with the same issue. Fingers crossed.

(10-04-2012, 02:18 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: Think long term. In 50 years they will have ways to check fingerprints and DNA to authenticate autos. Yours has the proof right on it. Haha!
I remember in the mid-to-late 90s there was a card that had a little plaster insert where players placed their finger print. (At least Cal Ripken Jr. did, because that's the specific card I recall). I've never seen those cards come up on here.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*