Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC Refocusing...w/GIANT pics!

PC Refocusing...w/GIANT pics!
Hey everyone,
As you know I haven't been trading on this particular site ever since Beckett decided to not allow me to access my org. for 5 months and before telling me I had to pay in order to do so.
But for the last little while I have stopped trading completely. I kept buying and selling a little bit, but even that was maybe once a month for awhile. Collecting just kind of lost it for me a little, though it's probably my fault. Whenever I get a new interest/rekindle an old one, I go full bore until I'm completely spent on it and go find something else to do for 6 months. It's the same with any hobby/interest I've ever had. Dive in head first, stay there until I'm sick of it, dive into something else, repeat.

Anyway, since I've been focusing on writing songs and (re)learning my guitar - it was over a year between being diagnosed with MS and being able to pick up my guitar and actually play - I forgot I had some PayPal left. Not too long ago, I realized I did and started Ebay-ing again. What I found out is, while I'm a huge Canucks fan, there's nothing from the Canucks I REALLY want to collect, other than my and my dad's Canucks-OPC collection. So I decided to scrap the Canucks RCs collection, along with most of my Linden collection. I'm still picking up RCs of Linden, Smyl, Naslund, McLean, Lidstrom and Tugnutt, but I've turned my focus to something totally different. What is it you ask? Let me answer your question with another question:
What do the following atheletes have in common?
Steve Kelly (NHL)
Barry Brust (NHL)
Danny Watkins (NFL)
Justin Schultz (NHL)

I'll tell you. Every one of them is a graduate of my hometown minor hockey association, Westside Minor Hockey. I've decided to focus on WMHA grads almost exclusively. So, without further ado, here's where my collection currently sits. Sorry about the gargantuan pics.

Steve Kelly:
First WMHA grad to go anywhere of significance. Drafted by the Edmonton Oilers, Steve became a somewhat unknown journeyman in the league. His biggest moment came as a member of the 2000 Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils.
[Image: DSCN0892.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0893.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0894.jpg]
Next up, Barry Brust:
After leaving home to play Jr. A in Manitoba, Barry returned as a member of the WHL Spokane Chiefs to play the Kelowna Rockets (there's only a bridge between Kelowna and West Kelowna, which is home to WMHA). Barry was drafted by the Minnesota Wild and also spent time in the LA Kings and Ottawa Senators' systems, including a Calder Cup win with the Binghamton Senators. He's now playing in Germany for Straubing.

[Image: DSCN6045.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6044.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6043.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6138.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0885.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0890.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0880.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0882.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0884.jpg]
Now, the strangest. Here is a guy who played and refereed hockey through his entire childhood, playing as high up as Jr B. He decided he was going nowhere in hockey, so he went to college. Next thing I know, he's on a football scholarship to Baylor.
Danny Watkins did not play a single down of organized football until he was in his early 20s. In just a few short years he went from absolutely 0 knowledge of the game to being picked first round in both the CFL and NFL drafts. You could not hope to meet a nicer guy in the entire world. Without further ado, Danny Watkins.

[Image: DSCN0879.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0878.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0870.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0873.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0875.jpg]
...and last but not least. I used to ref this kids games all the time. My uncle coached him for a couple of season (he coached Brust, too. I went to school with Brust for a year and Watkins for 4). When Justin was in PeeWee his presence and leadership on the ice was years ahead of his age, which is probably why he captained almost every minor hockey team he was on. Again, a case of a really nice guy (no matter what Ducks fans think) who actually made it. COuldn't be happier for him or his family, who are also great people. Justin doesn't have many cards out yet, but I snagged these two, which is what got me thinking on refocusing the PC.

[Image: DSCN0895.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0896.jpg]
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

RE: PC Refocusing...w/GIANT pics!
That is an awesome PC idea and I like how you know them to.
Collect Ray Bourque, Ryan Miller, Patrice Bergeron, Dougie Hamilton

Great idea for sure! Nothing better than a personal collection when you actually personally know some of the players and come from your hometown. Let me know if you do want to offload any of your canucks I may be interested.

[Image: Signaturephoto.jpg]

Collecting all Canucks cards! Currently 6310/20359 31%

LETS TRADE!

Great PC idea for sure. I will enjoy watching you add to it.

Jimmy Howard PC
Danny DeKeyser PC

Red Wings collector

Thanks guys. I definitely think it's the ultimate in a "Personal" Collections
Oh, and if anyone has an idea as to how many of those Panini Draft Day patches were made, I'd love to know!

Great selection of cards from the home town. Great reason to collect them, too.
Collecting all the Ron Hextall Cards especially those
pesky 1 of 1 cards and other low print runs.
I am also collecting Bernie Parent, Pelle Lindbergh,
Antero Niittymaki & other Flyers goalies.
http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/dam1057/

Love the read. Congrats on the great pickups and new direction. simply awesome.

Thanks guys. I currently have another Brust and a couple of Kellys on the way...hopefully a Watkins too, but I'll find that out later today.

Too many friends making an appearance for me to stay in the woodwork. That was a satisfying read. It's like the type of stuff they used to have in the Magazine - interesting articles. My favorite card is the Brust Crease-Cut Jersey, even though I know this isn't about that.

I'll have you know, your post crashed my phone. Make sure not to never let that happen again.
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

(07-14-2012, 01:59 PM)ricebondsmntna2young Wrote: Too many friends making an appearance for me to stay in the woodwork. That was a satisfying read. It's like the type of stuff they used to have in the Magazine - interesting articles. My favorite card is the Brust Crease-Cut Jersey, even though I know this isn't about that.
Oh but it is. My favourite is the second Watkins Panini Draft Day patch

(07-14-2012, 01:59 PM)ricebondsmntna2young Wrote: I'll have you know, your post crashed my phone. Make sure not to never let that happen again.
I'd tell you to get a better phone, but I'm pretty sure mine doesn't even have internet capability, so I can't say much.