`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Town players?

RE: Home Town players?
(07-08-2012, 07:27 PM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: Virginia Beach?
Yes. Hampton & VA Beach area.... I was born and raised there..but have been here in Richmond VA since I was 19(30 now)
[Image: 60JLt.png]

[Image: TexasHorns.jpg]

My Teams: Longhorns (Colt McCoy & Vince Young PC) - Ravens (Ray Lewis PC) - Yankees (Alex Rodriguez PC)

Derek Holland
Collect Andrew McCutchen, Roberto Clemente and most current/vintage Pirates. Some Braves Dynasty like Maddux, Klesko, Javy & Chipper.

[Image: cutchbanner.jpg]

(07-08-2012, 04:34 PM)stevep0422 Wrote: I went to high school with Lyle Overbay. We also had Bob Collucio play for the Brewers in the 70's and Jason Stumm with the White Sox although it was just for a cup of coffee, if that.
You forgot Darcy Fast. Then again, who hasn't?

For me, in baseball the big name was Travis Lee. I graduated with Jed Hansen. We also had Jared Sandberg come out of here. For football we have Jerramy Stevens and Jonathan Stewart. Our pro wrestler: The Brian Kendrick. By the way, the last three were all in classes I taught as a substitute.

(07-08-2012, 07:51 PM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: You forgot Darcy Fast. Then again, who hasn't?

For me, in baseball the big name was Travis Lee. I graduated with Jed Hansen. We also had Jared Sandberg come out of here. For football we have Jerramy Stevens and Jonathan Stewart. Our pro wrestler: The Brian Kendrick. By the way, the last three were all in classes I taught as a substitute.
That's right! I went to school with his kids too. They were all good athletes but were better at basketball. So you must be from the Olympia area. Stevens went to Timberline right? Stewart was a beast in high school. I used to play golf and football against Oly, Capital and Tumwater.
[Image: rickeybanner.png]

Collecting: Rickey Henderson, Lyle Overbay, Bob Coluccio and Jerome Iginla

(07-08-2012, 12:11 PM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: Chipper Jones, Luke Scott, Ricky Weeks all were raised 30 minute from where i live.
In 1980 I was working out of Orlando, Florida delivering pre-hung doors and windows all across central Florida. One memorable delivery I made was to an up and coming community called DeLand, Florida where there was a lot of construction. I remember it to this day because I came across a couple of kids about 8 or 9 years old playing ball. Being a baseball fan I struck up a conversation with the boys. To this day I remember one boy telling me that the other boy, Chipper, was better than anyone else in school and was going to be a major league player someday. I always remembered that because the name "Chipper" stuck in my mind because it was an unusual name. When I realized that Chipper Jones was from DeLand, Florida, I had to wonder if I met him that day and I still wonder.

I coached Mike Bordick for one game in 1979. I coached Senior Little League in Hampden, Maine and my team won the league and I got to co-coach the all-star team and Mike Bordick was on that all-star team.

Players from my hometown (or real close to it) - Danny Coombs and Matt Kinney.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

No one from my town made the MLB, but Mark Bavaro and his brother David (NFL) are from Danvers. Jeff Allison is from the town over and got drafted by the Marlins in the 1st Round, would have been cool to see him in the MLB, but he got mixed up in some bad drugs.
Collecting Bruins, Jon Papelbon, Patriots

[Image: Stockinsert.jpg]

(07-08-2012, 07:45 PM)x yankeemike x Wrote: Yes. Hampton & VA Beach area.... I was born and raised there..but have been here in Richmond VA since I was 19(30 now)
That Hampton Roads area is a silent hot bed. I went to high school in VA Beach. Remeber hearing about BJ Upton while in high school. I was actually at a RAYS vs. YANKEES game when he hit for the cycle. HR ball landed 1 row in front of me about 5 chairs over. Never had a chance as I just walked to go get food or something. I guess i missed my chance to get into the RAYS club house. OH WELL. But quite a few people are from that area. (Allen Iverson, Mike Vick, Bruce Smith)
(07-08-2012, 08:12 PM)zeprock Wrote: In 1980 I was working out of Orlando, Florida delivering pre-hung doors and windows all across central Florida. One memorable delivery I made was to an up and coming community called DeLand, Florida where there was a lot of construction. I remember it to this day because I came across a couple of kids about 8 or 9 years old playing ball. Being a baseball fan I struck up a conversation with the boys. To this day I remember one boy telling me that the other boy, Chipper, was better than anyone else in school and was going to be a major league player someday. I always remembered that because the name "Chipper" stuck in my mind because it was an unusual name. When I realized that Chipper Jones was from DeLand, Florida, I had to wonder if I met him that day and I still wonder.

I coached Mike Bordick for one game in 1979. I coached Senior Little League in Hampden, Maine and my team won the league and I got to co-coach the all-star team and Mike Bordick was on that all-star team.

Players from my hometown (or real close to it) - Danny Coombs and Matt Kinney.
Yes that would be Chipper. He now has a little league complex named after him. He claims Pierson, Florida maybe becuase that is even more of a small farm town and no one will go out there and seek him out. LOL

Luke Scott is another from Deland and Ricky Weeks is from Daytona while his brother was raised in Orlando. Going off in a tangent but Central Florida is another place that isnt too thought of for athletes. from tampa to daytona beach many names come to mind. Gary Sheffield, Tino Martinez, Chipper, the Weeks brothers. I also think Johnny Damon is from around here well at least lives in the area now. same can be said for Griffey Jr. But some young prospects that I know of like JR Murphy and Dante Bichette JR.

Yogi Berra grew up 15 minutes away from me
[Image: MyNewBanner_zps12325c44.jpg]

My Photobucket:
http://s1055.beta.photobucket.com/user/M...ds?src=wap
WILL TRADE FOR ALL MARQUES COLSTON CARDS!

(07-08-2012, 10:12 PM)LongliveStl Wrote: Yogi Berra grew up 15 minutes away from me
Where did he grow up, NJ? In 1956 my grandfather painted his house which i think was in Montvale, NJ at the time. My brother who was 10 & was grandpa's helper got a team signed ball of the 56 Yankees. Yogi & Mickey signed the sweet spot, i think there are 26 or 27 au's on the ball. We still have the original Spalding box it came in.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

Archie Bradley and Dylan Bundy went to high school here, Tommy Hanson was born where I live....I'm sure there are more but those pop up in my head.
[Image: 374.gif][Image: 1337.gif]