`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your collecting passions?

RE: What are your collecting passions?
(04-06-2012, 01:37 PM)sxfn4lf Wrote: Never mind the fact I'm still buying up Jose Lima autos. Surely those won't be skyrocketing anytime soon
LIMA TIME!!!!
[Image: mP9e9L.png]

(04-06-2012, 01:56 PM)ryancholden Wrote: LIMA TIME!!!!
Yessir!!! My mom actually dated him for a bit when I was growing up. He would fly us to games, put us up, take us out. He was always real good to me even after they weren't seeing each other, so I try to snatch up what I can
[Image: 9cef0db8.jpg]

Always interested in quality Barnes, Red Sox, and Patriots

I started trying to put together several Heritage sets (02, 07, 10, 11, 12) but as a huge Yankees fan I thought it would be fun to try to get at least one (hopefully many) rookie card of every player who contributed to the Yanks WS wins between 96 and 09. I included Mike Mussina with an honorable mention. I already have the major ones but I look forward to the challenge of finding Brett Gardner, David Robertson, Melky Cabrera, etc. Of course there's always eBay but at $2.50+ per card for shipping that will add up real fast.

~Doug

I'm right with you on the Bowman. I like it because it's fun to go through my '09 or '10 cards and find some surprises of guys who "came out of nowhere." I do it more for fun rather than profit. (I've never sold a card before and don't have any plans on doing so). I'm in it more for getting increased values in trades than anything.

On a side note, I'm a baseball guy through and through, and enjoy all other major sports to a lesser degree. I can't for the life of me understand the draw of football card collecting though. I mean, I like the sport and can understand why people collect what they like (like me with baseball), but the careers are so short and so many stars are "one and done." to me, it would be the equivalent of collecting relief pitchers exclusively. I know, I know, the same thing goes on in all sports, but guys stick around baseball a lot longer and the milestones are easy to appreciate. Don't mean to put anyone's hobby down, just never really got the football collecting bug. (I'm especially SHOCKED that there are more posts on the football boards than baseball boards. -I get that football is the most popular sport, but still...)
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(04-05-2012, 10:46 PM)sxfn4lf Wrote: After a couple years of flirting with this hobby, I finally found what I really want to collect. I'm really starting to dive into Bowman products. They seem to be the sort that have the most room to grow (or in some cases fall). That really seems to be what I like, to watch these young guys come up. It's exciting to watch a $5 auto grow into a $50 auto, and it's kind of exciting to splurge on a big colored refractor and wonder what's going to happen in a couple years. Will I be sitting on gold? Or was it a bad investment? I used to do a bunch of football, but I since traded off/sold everything I have. Of course I still pull for my Sox, so I decided every year I'm going to hoard everything I can find of one Sox prospect I like for whatever reason, and I'll be limiting my box breaks to Bowman, BoChro, and BDPP.

With all that said, what is your collecting passion? Prospects? Autos? Patches? Vintage. What is it that excites you about your preferences?
I agree with others that it looks like you're more interested in investing rather than collecting, and may not be as attached to your cards as others are to theirs. But to each his own I guess!

I like one of a kind cards Smile

Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

(04-05-2012, 10:46 PM)sxfn4lf Wrote: After a couple years of flirting with this hobby, I finally found what I really want to collect. I'm really starting to dive into Bowman products. They seem to be the sort that have the most room to grow (or in some cases fall). That really seems to be what I like, to watch these young guys come up. It's exciting to watch a $5 auto grow into a $50 auto, and it's kind of exciting to splurge on a big colored refractor and wonder what's going to happen in a couple years. Will I be sitting on gold? Or was it a bad investment? I used to do a bunch of football, but I since traded off/sold everything I have. Of course I still pull for my Sox, so I decided every year I'm going to hoard everything I can find of one Sox prospect I like for whatever reason, and I'll be limiting my box breaks to Bowman, BoChro, and BDPP.

With all that said, what is your collecting passion? Prospects? Autos? Patches? Vintage. What is it that excites you about your preferences?
VINTAGE!!!!!!!!!!!! When I could recite the stats on the back of each card and darn near every male in the neighborhood collected cards. Great memories of simple times and trading cards.
Photobucket

I LOVE collecting Japanese ballplayers. I spent years doing missionary work in Japan and have a very strong kinship with the Japanese. My wife is Japanese and we have a son together. Who also shares my passion for baseball. Aside from that I also like Indiana ballplayers and will try to collect them as I can as well. I like to break boxes and packs, but it is a hobby and not a business for me so I do not drop big money on stuff, but have a ton of fun pulling guys for my PC!!!!

Lately it has been Dan Haren and prospect insert sets from Topps sets like Bowman's Best and Bowman Futures and especially the 87 minis. Oh, and old Al Rosen odd ball cards.
Collecting Dan Haren,Troy Tulowitzki, Al Rosen, David Christensen, Kevin Elster and Jamal
Anderson(RB)

i'm a set collector.
i like to bust a couple of boxes and then find what i need and go out and trade/buy them. i enjoy the mini sets and the various versions of each set

Brad Hand, Vintage, and Rookies. These change monthly though haha.