Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thurman Munson...

Thurman Munson...
Hey all,

I hope this message finds everybody well.

I was wondering if anybody on this forum might know who the original photographer was for the 1971 Topps Thurman Munson card. For those of you unfamiliar with the image, here's a scan:

[Image: Munson.jpg]

The photo has always been a favorite of mine, and I would very much love to track down a high-res photo of it. Though, it's not necessarily for display purposes.

I am an artist who specializes in painting historical baseball scenes, most of which lie in the first half of the 20th century. Being a stickler for historical accuracy, these kinds photos are invaluable resources for my work, especially since blowing the images up from small cards isn't really an option. Lately, I feel like I've been getting into depicting more modern (or, modern for me) players, and I couldn't think of many images I would rather paint than this particular one.

Anywho, certainly ANY information you can provide is greatly appreciated. Here are some examples of my work to give you an idea of what I do.

[Image: Ty_Cobb_1908_April_14.jpg]
Ty Cobb, April 14, 1908, 40" x 62"

[Image: Christy_Mathewson_1911.jpg]
Christy Mathewson, 1911, 26" x 36"

[Image: Lou_Gehrig_1936_Portrait_Conlon.jpg]
Lou Gehrig, 1936, 16" x 20"

[Image: Ted_Williams_1939_May_30.jpg]
Ted Williams, May 30, 1939, 34" x 62"

[Image: Willie_Mays_1955_Portrait.jpg]
Willie Mays, 1955, 9" x 12"

[Image: Derek_Jeter_2000.jpg]
Derek Jeter, 2000, 11" x 14"

Thanks everyone!

Graig

RE: Thurman Munson...
any photos like that for sale?
Photobucket

(08-30-2011, 09:31 PM)hiiimitalian989 Wrote: any photos like that for sale?
i second that....those are incredible
I collect Scott Rolen / St. Louis Cardinals / 1985 topps / 1984 topps / yadier molina

Thanks guys - I'm glad you dig 'em!

I do sell my originals, but as of now, not any reproductions...

Graig

I would love a cobb or mathewson one !
Photobucket

Very nice work there. If they were cards I would go buy a box tomorrow and complete the set. That Munson happens to be my favorite baseball card of all time. Have you looked at or tried to contact the topps vault?

LF 1934/1936 Diamond Stars
&
05 Turkey Red SPs
13 Turkey Red
12 Archives Au's
12 Archives Gold
13 Finest Master Set
Ginter mini Snakes/Fortunes/Beards/Hats/Bikes

Thanks, Todd!

I've checked a little bit with the Topps Vault, but I still have a good number of phone calls to make to try and track it down some more. I'm glad, however, that I finally have a name to the photographer - that's a start!!

Graig

if only they had someone like you do the National Chicle set.....you're incredible....the Chicle artist....not so much.
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]