`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
contest for a 1975 topps nolan ryan

RE: contest for a 1975 topps nolan ryan
You have to give it back.It is a piece of Baseball History and belongs in the Hall not someone's trophy case.The person who did this is a true fan of baseball and understands what that ball represents.
(07-11-2011, 09:41 PM)southpaugh2002 Wrote: I was so moved by the fans kind gesture during his gathering of derek jeters 3000th hit that i want to do a contest for it. The contest being "what would you have done if you were in his shoes", me personally would have did the same thing. I heard the ball was estimated at $250,000, so his act of of kindness was very moving. I'm looking for what you would have done and why if you were the one who got his 3,000th ball. All honesty is appreciated. Here is the prize:

[Image: p_00196.jpg]

Personally, I would hold on to the ball for at least a little while. That ball is MLB HISTORY. The fan who caught it probably only had it for an hour at the most. I would bring it home, show my friends and family, and have it sit in my room for a while. Think about how amazing it would be to be in possession of a 3000 hit ball, that was also a HR. So after a few weeks of letting the moment sit in and having the ultimate bragging rights to any other MLB fan, I would give it back to Jeter, where it belongs.
[Image: bWSA7.png]
Collecting: Alfonso Soriano and Boston Red Sox

I would have kept the ball and sold it, Jeter can afford to buy it back if he wants it. We all say that we would have given it back, but you weren't in his position. Money has a way of getting to everyone regardless of what walk of life you may come from. But me, yeah I can say for sure I would have kept and sold it, I have kids and Yankees tickets arent going to put food on the table.
[Image: WillTheThrillSig.jpg]

I think I honestly would have kept it. Just too memorable to let go. If not that, then I may sell it as it sure would bring a nice payday. Pay for college, a house and maybe a new car or something or help fuel my addiction for baseball cards! If Jeter wanted or needed it that bad he could afford it. Its a nice gesture and just as priceless of a moment to meet him and give it too him but lets be honest, he's got the bat and just about everything else batting gloves etc...

I would have given it back to him. It belongs to him but I would have asked in return for the ball a job with the Yankee organization. Sure beats selling cell phones and I would be able to see the games every night anyways.
[Image: 5990000932_c874f0ce46_m.jpg]

Considering the fact that I am a die hard Red Sox Fan, I would have given the ball to my father who's a Yankee fan. I asked him and he said all he would have asked for is to be able to sit and talk with the man for a little while. I think that's the ultimate sacrifice, giving up financial gain for a chance to sit and talk with my Dad's favorite player.

I would have tried to sell it directly to Jeter or the Yankees for about 25,000 - 50,000 - enough to get clear of some pressing debt. Still cheaper than it would go for on the open market so I wouldn't feel too greedy.

I would also ask for a picture w/Jeter and the ball - then let him or the team decide whether it goes to the Hall or the Team, or him.

If they are willing to part w/ $72,000 worth of seats/memorabilia - they could afford it. I hate to seem greedy, but if an opportunity to get out of some financial trouble literally "falls in your lap", it would be hard to ignore that opportunity.

Ken
CURRENT NEEDS:
*2011 Topps Black Diamond Wrapper Redemptions (wants marked in ORG)
*All Carl Edwards Cards I don't have (wants marked in ORG)
*Marcus Thornton, Kevin Johnson (NBA)
*"Air Coryell" San Diego Chargers
[Image: 6802037740_e2e39685ee.jpg]

Too be honest, I hope I would have given it back before I had a chance to think about what I did. I am in no position to give away $250,000 but I think it was the right thing to do. The guy can't complain about what he got but we could all use the money in the day and age we live in.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

I would have thrown it back on the field before I realized I just thrown away all that money. The guy did the right thing. Even my wife said she would have given it back, but not before asking for an autograph and a picture of me with Minka Kelly.
[Image: yankees2copy.jpg]

after really thinking about it i would ask to be able to take an at bat during a real game. it was a childhood dream of mine to be able to walk out onto the field with the lights and thousands of fans looking back down on me. i would give nearly everything to live that feeling one day even if it was just for a few seconds.
i hate the yankees with all my hart but wouldnt it feel great to do this one day
[Image: Icon-SMI.jpg]

[Image: p18mannbanner.gif]