Beckett Message Boards
The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett (/thread-569169.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett - dhitt - 06-24-2010

Good stuff Jaderock! I see that you have quite a few listings on eBay for other cards we do not yet catalog.$0Feel free to email or call me if you'd like to get these added to our database.$0$0Dan Hitt$0$0dhitt@beckett.com$0$0972-448-9116$0

The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett - ginge01 - 06-24-2010

nittany13 Wrote:
GINGE01 Wrote:
nittany13 Wrote:First off I want to thank GINGE01 for taking the time to do some unrequested research for me back in March. Although I've been dropping by this message board periodically over the past several months this is the first time that I have posted anything in a while since I have been busy lately, hence the odd timing of my response.<br />
<br />
Over time both GINGE01 and jaderock have made many excellent submissions in response to questions germane to 1990s cards. Bravo!<br />
<br />
[Image: applause2uf31.gif]<br />
<br />
GINGE01 - In reference to your insights concerning the four Kerry Collins Classic 5-Sport/Signings autos I submitted...<br />
<br />
Cards 1 and 3 are both listed in the OPG and the older Beckett annuals that I own, so there is no mystery there.<br />
<br />
Card 2 is not listed in the OPG and I cannot find it in the older Beckett annuals either. If you look in one of your older yearly guides and peruse over the specific set checklist that I claim this card is from you will find other autographed cards from that very set that are also serial numbered to 225, which is why I think it is from that set.<br />
<br />
Card 4 on the other hand is a complete mystery, although it most likely is a Hot Box variation of some sort. From reading your comments I infer you did not notice the extra logo found at the back bottom of card 4 which is not found on card 3 (check out the scan again). One theory I have is that card 4 was supposed to be the Hot Box variation distributed in packs but was later recalled because the Player's Association did not give permission to have their logo on the card, but I do not think I will ever know for sure at this point. The signature looks very fraudulent to me too. If my hypothesis is true perhaps someone bought all these non-autographed "scrapped" cards at an auction after the company went bankrupt, forged it and then sold it online. Either way I still do not have buyer's remorse for my purchase because the card is a legitimate variation in my eyes nonetheless.
<br />
<br />
Hi Nittany13, thanks for your kind comments, just trying to help you, that Card 4 is certainly a mystery.<br />
Some extra thoughts, yes I missed looking at the NFL Players Association logo. The scans I provided of Kyle Brady and Hugh Douglas 5 sport Autos have Brady in a Penn State uni, Douglas's photo is from a 1995 Jets minicamp, there are Jets veterans Roger Duffy and Matt Willig in the background. Subtle airbrushing has removed any possiblity of Jets being seen on Douglas's helmet.<br />
The two versions of each player, unnumbered and numbered to 225 have the same 4 logos on the reverse side of the card, at the bottom, all the Brady and Douglas auto cards have the NFL Players Association logo present.<br />
<br />
Here is my guess, the players probably signed an agreement with the NFL Players Association allowing for their likeness, names etc to be produced. So Classic printed these NFL players Association logos on the reverse bottom of the cards. 5 Sport does not name the team Jets, only New York J, probably to avoid licensing problems, Classic with the 5 Sport product is an agreement with the players, but not with NFL Properties..<br />
<br />
So your card 3 numbered to 625 probably is one of the autos in the 1995 Classic Five-Sport Hot Box Autographs insert set that was signed by Collins before Collins has signed an agreement with the NFL Players Association. I don't know if the Hot Boxes were produced seperately, the Beckett Guide writeups makes it impossible to tell what exactly the Hot Boxes were. <br />
From Beckett Football Card Price Guide 18 (1998.) "This set of six autographed standard-sized cards were randomly inserted in Hobby Hot Boxes. The cards are identical to the regular Hot Box inserts with the exception of a players signature on the front."<br />
The price guide 18 gives no reference so no price to the regular Hot Box inserts, so I have no idea what Beckett was talking about!!!<br />
It is very confusing and inconsistent.<br />
<br />
What is also inconsistent is Kerry Collins of Penn State having different logos on the reverse bottom of the card (no NFL Players association) compare to Kyle Brady of Penn State. Did Collins not sign an agreement straight away, so Classic issued cards for him without the NFL players logo as you have for card 1, card 2 and card 3?? card 3 being the different back to card 1 and 2, the assumption is a Hot Box auto.<br />
<br />
After Collins signed an agreement, did that mean that any other Classic product had to include the NFL Players Association logo. If so, which product.<br />
Or was card 4, additional cards produced in the event auto cards were returned, to be exchanged, but now containing a NFL Players Assocition logo. It should be an auto card, because of the back of the card saying it is. It's seems a lot of effort to produce additional cards with a different back.<br />
Or was card 4 going to be an auto insert in a product that never got released, but Collins had signed an agreement with the NFL Players Association so the cards had to reflect that, hence a different back with 4 logos. That is my guess, a cancelled product but after Classic / Score Board disappeared somebody bought up that card with others and sold it through the secondary market, or bought the unautoed cards ready to be signed by Collins and made a poor attempt at faking the auto but it still got sold. Definitely a mystery
<br />
<br />
-GINGE01<br />
<br />
Your theory as to why the NFLPA logos are on only some of the backs of the cards seems very logical to me. Recently I perused the backs of some other player auto cards from that insert set and noticed that some player cards had that fourth logo while others did not, interesting. <br />
<br />
I have been trying to figure out all this Hot Box nonsense myself. My theory is these were specially marked wax pack boxes that contained one of these auto cards in one of the packs. I have been trying to find one of these Hot Box boxes online (if such a thing exists) in the hope to help solve this mystery. If a Hot Box wax box does exist I have not yet been able to find one on sale from an online dealer anywhere. <br />
<br />
Your other theory as to why the NFLPA logo is on one of the Kerry Collins auto cards and not the other is also interesting, and very plausible. In fact I am inclined to believe that is the most likely explanation. <br />
<br />
I think you and I should start our own detective agency specializing in Classic/Scoreboard/Pro Line sets, whaddya say?
<br />
<br />
Lots of Laughs 'I think you and I should start our own detective agency specializing in Classic/Scoreboard/Pro Line sets, whaddya say??' It will be a long slow and arduous task, a real CSI case.<br />
<br />
I have been unfair to Dan Hitt and questioned whether the guys at Beckett have been reading this thread. I see Dan is going through it and updating the OPG, many thanks Dan<br />

The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett - caseysmydueffers - 06-24-2010

I think this is a great thing you are doing. I hope the people at Beckett pay ao this thread and something gets done about the missing cards. We can't sell or trade what we can't put in our organize.<br />
<br />
Here's my contribution:<br />
<br />
[Image: scan0001-2.jpg]<br />
[Image: scan0002-2.jpg]<br />
[Image: scan0003-2.jpg]<br />
[Image: scan0005.jpg]<br />
[Image: scan0011.jpg]<br />
[Image: scan0009.jpg]<br />
[Image: scan0010.jpg]<br />
<br />
These were sent to me buy Topps for not fulfilling various redemption orders as bonuses or whatever. So this might be more of a Topps problem than anything to do with Beckett.<br />
<br />
2008-09 Topps Finest Brandon Rush RC Refractor-no print run<br />
[Image: scan0007.jpg]<br />
<br />
2008 Bowman Sterling Tashard Choice RC auto Refractor/No print run/Card number BA4<br />
[Image: scan0006.jpg]<br />
<br />
I believe this is a 2008-09 Dwyane Wade Refractor Auto/No print run/ this card doesnt even have a set number-letters anything to identify, I provided a scan of the back so you can see<br />
[Image: scan0008.jpg]<br />
[Image: scan0001.jpg]<br />
<br />
If anyone has questions about the cards, Beckett, other members, whoever please feel free to PM me. Thanks again to the originator of this thread!

The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett - dhitt - 06-24-2010

I am fairly certain that the Kerry Collins #4 version in question was an insert into the 1995-96 Classic Five Sport Signings product. I think the only difference then between the basic 1995 Classic Five Sports auto and the "Signings" version is that message on the card backs as well as the licensing logos on some of the cards. We have never cataloged both versions in our database, but years ago mentioned that the "signings" version had the same value as the basic Five Sport Autos. I would like to catalog this "signings" version so confirmation of players would be appreciated.$0Dan Hitt$0

The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett - nittany13 - 06-24-2010

I must admit this may be a bit of a stretch here for OPG inclusion, but below is a greeting card from a Bernie Kosar-affiliated business. I do not know at this time if other greeting cards were manufactured for other NFL players. I would say the example below is circa 1996 and are 5x7 in size.<br />
<br />
[Image: BubfVWkKGrHqUOKiEEvNzjgwz3BMCv-WdvJ.jpg][Image: BubgrwWkKGrHqMOKikEvOnbKY1gBMCv-fE3.jpg][Image: BubiPgmkKGrHqUOKjMEvPPPUp46BMCv-oHw.jpg]

The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett - nittany13 - 06-24-2010

These may or may also not be worthy OPG material but featured below are phone cards issued by Nations Bank from 1996. Kerry Collins, Greg Kragen and Lamar Lathon are the players featured. I believe this is the complete five card set.<br />
<br />
[Image: scan0006_0041.jpg][Image: scan0007_0041.jpg]

The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett - ginge01 - 06-25-2010

Here is a set variation for my New York Jets, I don't know if it is true for all NFL teams.<br />
<br />
2008 Score. <br />
Originally released in packs 2008 Score is consistent with the same picture was used for base and all pack insert parallels (Glossy, Scorecard, Gold Zone etc). <br />
[Image: 2008Scorebaseset1.jpg]<br />
[Image: 2008Scorebaseset2.jpg]<br />
These two scans above are the base set, first scan contain cards 215-223, any number with an A suffix is for a variation I will explain later. <br />
215A Jesse Chatman...(Jets minicamp uniform)<br />
216A Calvin Pace........(Jets minicamp uniform)<br />
217 Kellen Clemens<br />
218 Leon Washington<br />
219 Jerricho Cotchery<br />
220 Laveranues Coles<br />
221 Chris Baker <br />
222 Brad Smith <br />
223 Thomas Jones <br />
and the second scan contains the cards <br />
224 Darrelle Revis <br />
225 David Harris <br />
106A Brett Favre.........(Packers 2007 action photo with Packers logo on front of card) <br />
336A Vernon Gholston RC (Jets minicamp) <br />
353... Dustin Keller...... RC <br />
412A Erik Ainge.......... RC (Jets minicamp) <br />
021A Musa Smith.........(Ravens 2007 action photo with Ravens logo on front of card)<br />
<br />
The next scans below is for the Score blister packaging mini team set that was available around October 2008, offically released by Donruss, the Donruss logo is clearly present on the blister packaging. I bought this set because I thought it was the Score Jets factory set, it had a different Brett Favre card now in a Jets uniform as the top card in the blister pack. I wanted this Brett Favre Score card as it was different from the Packers card available earlier in 2008 in packs. There were 12 cards inside the blister pack mini team set , this was released before the Score Factory set. <br />
The card numbers are 216B, 218-225, 106B Brett Favre, 336B and 353. All cards in the blister pack were glossy coated except 353 Dustin Keller which was non glossy, in feel and reflection when held to a light, Keller is dull, all others are shiny. <br />
[Image: 2008Scoreminiteamsetpackage.jpg]<br />
<br />
The next scan are the three uniform variations from the 2008 Score blister pack mini team set,<br />
216B glossy Calvin Pace (Jets uniform action photo with Jets logo on front of card)<br />
106B glossy Brett Favre (Jets uniform action photo with Jets logo on front of card)<br />
336B glossy Vernon Gholston RC (Jets uniform action photo with Jets logo on front of card) Is this a RC or not as the photo has changed?? <br />
These three cards are unique because they are different to the 2008 Score factory set, these 3 new picture cards are glossy (216B, 106B &amp; 336B). They are a variation from the glossy cards that were parallels in 2008 Score packs as they have updated photos.<br />
[Image: 2008Scoreminiteamset.jpg]<br />
<br />
This final scan is from the Score Jets factory team set that I bought on ebay. I bought this because in both 2006 &amp; 2007 there had been Jets updates with different action photos in the 2006 &amp; 2007 factory sets which Beckett recorded in the Annual guide with a B suffix after the card number, I wanted to see if there were similar updates for the 2008 factory set.<br />
In addition the factory set was an expanded set with additional rookies not available in packs earlier in 2008, there was one new rookie card for the Jets.<br />
The 2008 Score Jets factory set was 17 cards, all non-glossy cards, they were 215B, 216B, 217-225, 106B, 336B, 353, 412B, 435 &amp; 021B.<br />
I have scanned the 6 variations and 1 additional RC from the 2008 Score Jets cards that were in packs, all 7 variation cards from the Score factory set are not glossy, so they are different from the 3 glossy variations above in the Score blister pack mini team set.<br />
[Image: 2008ScoreFactoryset.jpg]<br />
The variations listed below, are all from the factory set, non glossy and with different photos from the 2008 Score base set available in packs.<br />
215B Jesse Chatman..........(Jets uniform action photo with Jets logo on front of card)<br />
216B Calvin Pace...............(Jets uniform action photo with Jets logo on front of card) <br />
106B Brett Favre................(Jets uniform action photo with Jets logo on front of card)<br />
336B Vernon Gholston RC (Jets uniform action photo with Jets logo on front of card) Is this an RC as it is a variation of the original base card?? <br />
412B Erik Ainge .........RC (Jets uniform action photo with Jets logo on front of card) Is this an RC as it is a variation of the original base card??<br />
435 Marcus Henry...... RC.. A true RC, the only Marcus Henry card released by Score in 2008, exclusively in the Score factory set.<br />
021B Musa Smith...............(Jets 2008 action photo with Jets logo on front of card, ironically cut during preseason, did not play a regular season game for the Jets in 2008 )<br />
<br />
<br />
To summarize, if the Annual Guide gets updated, there should be added the following<br />
215A Jesse Chatman..................(from packs) minicamp uni<br />
215B Jesse Chatman..................(from factory set) Jets preseason uni <br />
<br />
216A Calvin Pace.......................(from packs) minicamp uni<br />
216B Calvin Pace.......................(from factory set) Jets preseason uni <br />
216B Glossy Calvin Pace...........(from blister packs) Jets preseason uni <br />
<br />
106A Brett Favre.......................(from packs) Packers uni<br />
106B Brett Favre.......................(from factory set) Jets preseason uni <br />
106B Glossy Brett Favre............(from blister packs) Jets preseason uni <br />
<br />
336A Vernon Gholston RC.........(from packs) minicamp uni<br />
336B Vernon Gholston RC........ (from factory set) Jets preseason uni <br />
336B Glossy Vernon Gholston....(from blister packs) Jets preseason uni <br />
<br />
412A Erik Ainge RC...................(from packs) minicamp uni<br />
412B Erik Ainge RC...................(from factory set) Jets preseason uni <br />
<br />
435 Marcus Henry RC.............(from factory set) Jets preseason uni <br />
<br />
021A Musa Smith.......................(from packs) Ravens uni<br />
021B Musa Smith........................(from factory set) Jets preseason uni <br />
<br />
<br />

The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett - dhitt - 06-25-2010

I added these to our database today, thanks.

The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett - ginge01 - 06-25-2010

Thanks Dan for the adding of the 2008 Score Factory Updates, I hope there are 31 other team collectors that can send in to Beckett information to update their teams also.<br />
<br />
Is it going to be possible to add the other three Jets Score Factory update glossy variations that were only available in the Blister Packs <br />
216 Glossy Calvin Pace...........(from blister packs)<br />
106 Glossy Brett Favre............(from blister packs)<br />
336 Glossy Vernon Gholston....(from blister packs) <br />
<br />
I did a search on ebay, there is a different Jets 2008 Score blister pack, different packaging, with Leon Washington on the front. That contained non glossy cards, the same as the card in packs.<br />
<br />
A search on Amazon shows the Blister Pack with Favre on the front which I wrote about, but only for the Jets. Did Donruss create this blister pack for the Jets for the purpose of selling a Favre card in a Jets uniform at a time when there was great demand for Favre cards in a Jets uniform and created the 3 new cards above as unique (Factory Update glossy) cards.

The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett - jaderock - 06-25-2010

GINGE01 Wrote:Thanks Dan for the adding of the 2008 Score Factory Updates, I hope there are 31 other team collectors that can send in to Beckett information to update their teams also.<br />
<br />
Is it going to be possible to add the other three Jets Score Factory update glossy variations that were only available in the Blister Packs <br />
216 Glossy Calvin Pace...........(from blister packs)<br />
106 Glossy Brett Favre............(from blister packs)<br />
336 Glossy Vernon Gholston....(from blister packs) <br />
<br />
I did a search on ebay, there is a different Jets 2008 Score blister pack, different packaging, with Leon Washington on the front. That contained non glossy cards, the same as the card in packs.<br />
<br />
A search on Amazon shows the Blister Pack with Favre on the front which I wrote about, but only for the Jets. Did Donruss create this blister pack for the Jets for the purpose of selling a Favre card in a Jets uniform at a time when there was great demand for Favre cards in a Jets uniform and created the 3 new cards above as unique (Factory Update glossy) cards.
<br />
Joe,<br />
That's alot of detective work you did ob the variants.<br />
<br />
As for Donruss purposely doing it for the collectors...I'm sure that was the intention, but it certainly wasn't marketed very well if that is the case.