Beckett Message Boards
My Unofficially Official LSU Tigers Football Thread (MUCHO SCANS) - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: My Unofficially Official LSU Tigers Football Thread (MUCHO SCANS) (/thread-526520.html)

My Unofficially Official LSU Tigers Football Thread (MUCHO SCANS) - duch2izback - 06-07-2009

Card #249:<br />
I made this one myself. It's a picture of Wally Pontiff. I made it the size of a regular card. Yeah, I know it's not football, and I know it's not a real card, but he was an inspiration to LSU fans everywhere!<br />
[Image: untitled-1.jpg]<br />
<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal">Wallace VictorSebastian Pontiff Junior was born November 18, 1980 and grew up inMetarie, LA, a suburb of New Orleans.&nbsp; Wally’s parents, Wally PontiffSr. and Terry Pontiff, still reside in Metarie.&nbsp; Wally’s siblingsinclude a younger sister, Haley, and a younger brother Nicholas.&nbsp;Nicholas is a senior at LSU, where he plays outfield for the Tigers.</p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal">Wally was afour-year letterman at Jesuit High in New Orleans, where he earnedClass Five-A all-state honors in 1999.&nbsp; Wally batted .471 his seniorseason and finished his career at Jesuit with 39 doubles, four triples,15 home runs, 64 RBI, and 103 runs scored.</p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal">Wally said he chose LSU because “it was the best combination of academics and athletics”.</p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal">As a freshman on the2000 National Championship team, Wally started 51 games, batting .347with 20 doubles, two triples, seven home runs, 45 RBI, and scored 41runs.&nbsp; He was selected MVP of the SEC Tournament, batting .615 with adouble, seven RBI, and a grand slam in the championship game againstFlorida.&nbsp; Wally was named to the NCAA Baton Rouge RegionalAll-Tournament Team.</p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal">Wally’s sophomoreseason was just as successful.&nbsp; He started all 67 games for the Tigers,batting .347, and led the Tigers in hitting in the NCAA Super Regionalagainst Tulane.&nbsp; Pontiff was again named to the NCAA Baton RougeRegional All-Tournament Team.</p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal">In his final seasonat LSU, Wally started 65 or 66 games for the Tigers, batting .339 andleading the Tigers in walks and on-base percentage.&nbsp; In 307 plateappearances, Wally struck out only 20 times.&nbsp; He was selected to theNCAA Regional All-Tournament Team for a third consecutive year.</p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal">Wall Pontiff Jr.passed away on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 at his parents’ home inMetarie.&nbsp; It was later found that Wally died of a genetic heart diseasewhich caused a thickening of the heart muscle.&nbsp; Currently, there is nocure for this disease.</p><p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal">The LSU Tigers playan annual baseball game in Metarie at Zephyr Stadium (New Orleans’minor league team) in Wally’s honor.&nbsp; Although Wally is no longer onthe field, Wally’s spirit will live forever and …No. 31…Always!</p><br />

My Unofficially Official LSU Tigers Football Thread (MUCHO SCANS) - duch2izback - 06-07-2009

Card #250, and my first Lettermen, since Topps decided to screw me on my two Glenn Dorseys...<br />
2009 Topps Certified Autograph Issue College Letter Patch Demetrius Byrd!<br />
[Image: 1-16.jpg]<br />
<br />

My Unofficially Official LSU Tigers Football Thread (MUCHO SCANS) - fbcking - 06-07-2009

Nice card. Did you know Wally personally?

I met Wally a few times at the Old Alex Box Stadium. His memory is a big deal down here. When someone from out of town comes here and sees a purple bumper sticker on a vehicle that says, "NUMBER 31 ALWAYS", that's what it means, his jersey number. It's mainly because he passed away at such a young age, and he was such a great person. I honor him in my signature as well.<br />

My Unofficially Official LSU Tigers Football Thread (MUCHO SCANS) - fbcking - 06-07-2009

duch2izback Wrote:I met Wally a few times at the Old Alex Box Stadium. His memory is a big deal down here. When someone from out of town comes here and sees a purple bumper sticker on a vehicle that says, "NUMBER 31 ALWAYS", that's what it means, his jersey number. It's mainly because he passed away at such a young age, and he was such a great person. I honor him in my signature as well.<br />
<br />
<br />
When I get a chance to get down there. Aleast now I'll know. Thank for the info.<br />

My Unofficially Official LSU Tigers Football Thread (MUCHO SCANS) - duch2izback - 06-08-2009

Card #251:<br />
ANOTHER 2008 Upper Deck Ultimate Rookie Big Materials Early Doucet<br />
Patch #02/40!<br />
[Image: 58.jpg]<br />

My Unofficially Official LSU Tigers Football Thread (MUCHO SCANS) - duch2izback - 06-08-2009

Card #252:<br />
2008 SP Rookie Threads Signature Draft Choice Auto<br />
Early Doucet #236/280!<br />
[Image: 57.jpg]<br />

Card #253:<br />
2008 Absolute College Materials Triple Jersey Auto<br />
Early Doucet #12/25!<br />
[Image: 56.jpg]<br />

My Unofficially Official LSU Tigers Football Thread (MUCHO SCANS) - duch2izback - 06-18-2009

Card #254 (Been busy, trying to catch up now):<br />
2005 Ultra All Ultra Team Jersey Domanick Davis!<br />
[Image: 1-18.jpg]<br />

My Unofficially Official LSU Tigers Football Thread (MUCHO SCANS) - duch2izback - 06-18-2009

Card #255:<br />
2004 Skybox LE Game Used Jersey Domanick Davis!<br />
[Image: 2-11.jpg]<br />
<br />