Beckett Message Boards
ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) (/thread-318882.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - woodrowsbat - 12-07-2011

I had a kid come up to me at PNC park about 5 years ago and asked me to sign his ball.
He couldn't have been more than 6. Not sure who he thought I was but ,I like to think I made his day.
Thing was his dad is the one who sent him over for the auto!

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - shaunbaus - 12-07-2011

Mostly every player I've come across has been pretty nice for the most part. Not all experiences are as great as others but I'll cut them some slack. Some of the nicest players I've met though were Fred Lynn, Denard Span, Joe Nathan, Sean Rodriguez, Sam Fuld, James Shields, Jeremy Hellickson, Ben Zobrist and J.P. Arencibia. There are definitly others but those players definitly stood out the most. Really all the Rays players are really nice, some are tougher to get signatures from though. Also, Reggie Jackson signed for everyone before a Rays game when the Yanks were in town so he can't be too bad.

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - zeprock - 12-07-2011

Nicest players I've met were Jim Lonborg and Bill Lee. Met Lonborg at the local mall one day when he was signing. There was nobody around him. Just Jim and the promoter. I had him sign my card, shook his hand and made some small talk (mostly about skiing). I felt like he didn't want me to leave. Bill Lee comes to Maine every so often and brings a rag tag team of older Red Sox players up to play the local fire department. He stays until everyone has an autograph and will chat while he's signing.

In 1979, at age 19, I drove from Bangor, Maine to Winter Haven, Florida to see the Sox in spring training. George Scott hit a home run during the game and I outran everyone to get the ball. I hung around the clubhouse after the game for about two hours hoping to get someone's autograph. Lot's of future HOFers and stars on that team. Fisk, Rice, Yaz, Eckersley, Lynn and Evans all slipped out a side door, piled into a couple of waiting vehicles and laid rubber peeling out of the parking lot. Eventually George Scott came out and I asked him to sign and he said he wouldn't. I even told him it was the ball he'd hit for a home run and he brushed by me and said he didn't have time for that. I'd driven nearly 1400 miles and then waited about 5 hours through the game and afterward and was extremely disappointed in not getting an auto. Don Zimmer came out last and signed for the few of us still waiting and in hindsight, I guess I'd rather have Zimmer's auto than George Scott's.

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - tanman128 - 12-07-2011

I would have to say Hunter Pence, David Price, Ben Zobrist, Frank Thomas and Jamie Moyer are the ones that come to mind first. One time at the Trop, Zobrist was signing and a kid didn't have anything to get signed except a cell phone case. When Zobrist saw that, he pulled a card out of his pocket and signed it for the kid. I thought that was pretty classy.

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - coimbre 21 - 12-07-2011

I had great experiences with three different managers starting when I met Jim Leyland in the Westin Oaks coffee shop in Houston once in 1994. I said hello and asked how the recent Roberto Clemente dedication went at Three Rivers and we wound up talking for 15 minutes in the middle of his breakfast. He was just a great guy to talk to.
Earlier in 1989, I pulled up next to Art Howe and his wife at a traffic light around 10:30 at night. I asked them to roll their window down so that I could tell Art about how I had seen him play along side Ken Griffey for Bayamon in the Puerto Rican Winter League in 1974-75. Without hesitation they complied and were clearly excited about those days in PR. They both told me it was a great pleasure to "talk about the really good old days".
Lastly, in 2002, I played in a small charity golf tournament in Pasadena, CA. It wasn't an elaborate event but I spotted Sparky Anderson at the post tournament gathering. He came by our table and asked how we were doing and I replied that I was just happy to have an opportunity to say hello to my favorite manager. "Aw, I wasn't any good" he replied and then asked we needed anything, though he wasn't even the tournament host. That was moment of humility from such an accomplished man that I will never forget.

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - beginesj - 12-07-2011

(12-07-2011, 10:57 AM)perduewho Wrote: First off,this is a amazing thread.

I live in Tampa,so running across ball players isn't a "diffcult" thing..and i'm gonna apologize for the long read ahead of time.

When I was younger,my best friends father was the equipment manager for the NY Yankees.I actually grew up playing baseball with him.I remember going to his house,and going into his dads office,and being in awe of his dads massive memorabilia collection.His world Series rings(I got to wear them all!),Game used bats,and gloves,autographed balls from Babe Ruth to Derek Jeter.Well one day he asked if we'd like to go to the clubhouse with him.This was during Spring Training.We get there,as were walking to the back I'm seeing all these guys.Bernie Williams,Tino Martinez,Mariano Rivera,are all walking by me..saying hi,high fiving,asking my name,how am I doing,etc etc.Completely mind blowing.The year was about 1998-1999.Jeter was my second idol,behind Griffey Jr.As i'm following big Dave thru the facility,as he's pushing what's comparable to a grocery cart,filled with game used jerseys..I hear a "HEY DAVE!",we turn around and it's Derek Jeter.He's already holding a baseball bat,I'd assume Dave told him before hand of my mild obsession.It was already signed "To Jamie,Best Wishes.Derek Jeter".I graciously thanked him,shook his hand(I was all of 12 years old).He talked to me about playing,favorite position,favorite players..and of course I told him about KGJ being #1!..When he asked me,if I wanted to hit.I was kind of like..HUH.Derek said follow him,and me and Mike followed closely behind.My friend was all giggly,his father said see ya later..and now we're following Derek Jeter,thru the Yankees training facility.NO BIG DEAL,right?!lol..Well he leads us out to the batting cages,where he hands me yet another bat.He pitched to me in the batting cages for about 30 minutes,all the while talking,joking,and basically being what id call friends at the time.We end the session,he gives me a fist bump..and says it's his turn!He batted from the right side,mimicking Griffey Jr while I pitched to him for another 10-15 minutes.Bernie Williams came out and watched for awhile,also making jokes.We finished up,go back thru the clubhouse,where Dave was waiting for us.He handed me a ball,completely full of autographs.Derek thanked me(for whatever reason!) for the great time,and told me to always respect baseball,and it will be there for me.We hung around the complex,while the team went across the street to the field to prepare for there game.We went to the game,First class everything.Got to meet Mr. Steinbrenner.And was basically blown away.Most may not believe the story,but I can assure you 110% it's truth.Derek still remembers me,as I see him every Spring Training and never treats me as if I'm in the stands.I just wanted to share the most amazing day of my life,with some people that can understand it.

Alright,as far as other players and personall!

Don Zimmer-Met him at a public signing,TEN PEOPLE showed up!He was scheduled to be there for 2 hours...he was done signing in 10 minutes.He talked to us for the remainder.Told us how he played golf with Jackie Robinson,Thought Roy Campanella was the strongest player ever,and many more AMAZING stories.(I'll share if you care to hear)

Miguel Cabrera,Ryan Zimmerman,Ivan Rodriguez,David Wells..ALL VERY NICE GUYS!

I have tons more players i'll add in another post,this long replay is slowing my computer down!

EDIT-Someone asked about Pujols,My buddy who sales ST tickets.Albert actually helped him carry his stroller up the isle,talked to him and gave him a beautiful autograph.He said he was the nicest person,much less ball player he's met.

Wow!! I wish I could meet Derek Jeter let alone the experience you had!!

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - therattboy - 12-07-2011

Nice Guys? I'll show you nice guys Smile

Reds RHP Logan Ondrusek, Reds RHP Sam LeCure, Reds OF Jay Bruce, Reds 2B Brandon Phillips (unless you're from St. Louis...) Tigers 1B Miguel Cabrera, former pitcher Kirk Saarloos (lmk if he's still active; I may edit this post if he is), and former OF/SS Chad Fonville.

Not so nice: Cardinals RHP Jason Motte, former OF/DH Albert Bell, and Yankees 3B Alex (A-Fraud) Rodriguez.

About Fonville; I vaguely remember this, but i was at Riverfront Stadium for a Reds-Dodgers game, and Fonville was playing LF that day, and me, being 4-5 years old, kept yelling "Chad!" and he gave me a ball. My mom supposedly had a sportswriter do an article of "Why should kids look up to Albert Belle when you've got nice guys like Chad Fonville?"

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - bustin 5 knots - 12-07-2011

Minor League catcher Josh Donaldson in the A's organization comes to mind, same with Gio González. Then again I've never met any major leaguers besides Gio

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - mjmj1966 - 12-07-2011

One of the nicest players I met was Steve Carlton. Showed up early for a signing and shook hands with everyone in line before he started to sign. Talked to everyone and even allowed pics.

The worst just happens to be my idol growing up Mike Schmidt. Wasn't very personable. Acted like we were wasting his time and didn't talk to anyone. Actually messed up a 16x20 I have with Carlton, Rose, and Schmidt on it. Carlton signed his name and put 4136 K's, Rose signed his name and put 4256 hits, Schmidt signed and would not put 548 HRs unless I paid for the inscription. I asked him and he told me if I wanted it to pay for the ticket and go to the end of the line. I couldn't believe it. The others just put it for free without me asking. He was the last to sign it and saw that the others had put something on it and still wouldn't do it. Very disappointing from one of my idols.

RE: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice) - yankeescop - 12-07-2011

(12-07-2011, 10:44 PM)nlsn200 Wrote: would have to be Wade Gaynor went to a captains game awhile back my son tried to get autos of the captains but couldn't get any.He was very disappointed Wade signed a ball for him. The next time we went my son took a tee shirt wade helped him get the whole team to sign and also gave him a signed bat that he cracked during the game. Wade played for the visiting team west michigan whitecaps. It was an experience that my son will never forget

That is cool. The Tigers must train their minor league guys how to treat fans. I go to see the Erie Seawolves(Tigers Double A) play each year they come to Bowie Maryland and they have always been great. I wrote their President and told him about all the great experiences we have had with the guys and he ended up sending my son a Hat, pin and some other team items. He then passed my letter on to the Manager and the players I spoke about. The next time we saw them, they each came over and thanked us for the letter and the manager said he read the letter to the rest of the team to remind them what the game of baseball is really all about. I am a diehard Yankees fan but I will always cheer for the Tigers after the smiles they have given my son.