Beckett Message Boards
How active is this site overall? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: How active is this site overall? (/thread-1619929.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

How active is this site overall? - savagenate - 03-04-2021

Beckett is making gobs of money, I'm wondering where it's coming from. There's maybe 5 regular contributors here, and and another 10 or so who pop in and out. What's it like in the other sports rooms? I stick to just football, though I've thought about doing similar set collections, one for baseball and hockey that mirror my football ones. Are the other forums much more active?

RE: How active is this site overall? - CMCFan22 - 03-04-2021

I'm on the basketball forums a little for Tre Jones cards and just seeing general conversation. I'd consider it less active than the football forums, but active nonetheless.

RE: How active is this site overall? - ahvjr - 03-04-2021

I visit the site multiple times a day and just find the same people with the same topics and the same gripes.

Baseball is busier than football, after that it is a ghost town. You can go weeks without new posts or topics. Beckett is to blame for that but of course the crazy cost of the hobby hurts as well.

RE: How active is this site overall? - savagenate - 03-04-2021

ahvjr Wrote:I visit the site multiple times a day and just find the same people with the same topics and the same gripes.

Baseball is busier than football, after that it is a ghost town. You can go weeks without new posts or topics. Beckett is to blame for that but of course the crazy cost of the hobby hurts as well.
Sorry if I'm part of the griping lol. I'll try livening it up a bit if I can come up with ideas Smile

RE: How active is this site overall? - savagenate - 03-04-2021

CMCFan22 Wrote:I'm on the basketball forums a little for Tre Jones cards and just seeing general conversation. I'd consider it less active than the football forums, but active nonetheless.
Weird

RE: How active is this site overall? - foleylion08 - 03-04-2021

Trading is a lost art and that's what the site was a big hub for for so long. Not to mention when Beckett started charging for org and charging for trading people turned tail and ran and haven't looked back.

RE: How active is this site overall? - rjcj2017 - 03-04-2021

ahvjr Wrote:I visit the site multiple times a day and just find the same people with the same topics and the same gripes.

All fair points, my friend.

I'm definitely guilty of the "same gripes" ... but what else is there to talk about?

I mean, is anyone else besides me talking to Beckett, talking to Panini, talking to Walmart and Target in their areas to try to get them to change things?

Nope.

Everyone is either telling me to quit whining (which I won't) or is just happy to shell out hundreds of dollars for either marked-up retail crap or Panini's delusional online prices - $1,000 for a hobby box of Prizm football, for example, which, honestly, you're lucky to get $100 in book value in return.

THOSE are the people that drive ME nuts ... the "welp, that's just the way it is" crowd.

No, no it's not, but you may have to actually TRY to do something about it if you want it to change.

And you have to develop some willpower if you decided not to support the hoarding and price gouging ... I just went 352 days between finding ANY NBA licensed cards to open, and even then it was a whopping ONE blaster of 2019-20 Optic in March 2020 and THREE jumbo packs of Hoops in February 2021.

Was that fun and awesome for me? Missing out completely on five consecutive NBA retail products?

No. But enough about that.

Obviously there is more to the hobby than just retail purchasing.

I mean, people besides me could also try to generate a little more content on their own ... my questions for everybody else:

Did you make a great trade?

Cool, post it!

Don't know how to add pictures?

Great, I know how, and happy to tell you!

Zeprock posts all the time with different themes to his vintage baseball collection ... the Zodiac guy posts all the time with his Celtics collection ... Jaderock posts all of his new Brunell stuff ... I try to post just about every break I have, even if it's those silly $5 mixers.

I give shoutouts and try to post pictures of just about every trade I make, even if the cards appeal to no one but basically me, just to add something to the site and keep it going.

And that's it.

Other than that, the only "content" seems to be coming from a lot of new people, the whatzitworths, who just busted an $80 blaster from Target (that should cost $19.99) that they bought online because they were inspired by an "Internet Case Breaker," and they are flooding the site with questions about that new Mega Box Super Fractor Jersey Auto Prizm Bat Card numbered to 5.

It's fine, I'm not the Post Police, but it doesn't feel anything like a community like it did when I joined the site eight years ago.

I mean, Beckett could help themselves out by, I don't know, at least reinstating the free trade function up to 100 cards to generate movement on the site.

(I get not giving away the OPG, but the ORG/trade function seems pretty harmless as a freebie.)

Anyway, yeah ... if people want different/better content on the site, then great ... that "post" button works the same for everyone else as it does for me.

RE: How active is this site overall? - ahvjr - 03-04-2021

savagenate Wrote:Sorry if I'm part of the griping lol. I'll try livening it up a bit if I can come up with ideas Smile

no sir, definitely not you. You are one of the better contributors here

RE: How active is this site overall? - dogger99 - 03-04-2021

RJ, if I didn't see your gripes I would probably have to call in for a welfare check. LOL

RE: How active is this site overall? - akaus - 03-04-2021

I check the football, baseball, and basketball threads everyday to see what is new. There isn't much unfortunately. I have some luck trading, but I don't feel it is worth the money. I normally trade with the same few people which is fun, but would love to get more trading going. I am trying to contribute more so hopefully Beckett can get up to double digits in contributors. I like Beckett, but other sites I visit have way more traffic. Some are great for trading, some are great for buying/selling, and others are good just for information.

I have become friends with quite a few traders over the years and hope to find more friends down the road.