Beckett Message Boards
Oh, Boy, Panini, Where Do I Start? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+---- Forum: Box Breaks (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-7.html)
+---- Thread: Oh, Boy, Panini, Where Do I Start? (/thread-1616137.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Oh, Boy, Panini, Where Do I Start? - rjcj2017 - 12-19-2019

Happy holidays, friends.

So I made the unfortunate mistake of picking up two blasters (from separate stores) of the new Contenders football.

Let's look past the fact that almost all the base cards were identical and concentrate on the "one autograph or memorabilia card per box" advertised on the packaging.

Well, my "hits" were a pair of Panini Rewards cards.

Now, the last three or four times I've pulled these "hits," I've traded them here on Beckett because I despise paying for shipping on a product I already didn't get in the blaster, not to mention there are no current cards of said product that you can use your points for.

However, my two Rewards cards this time were for 250 and 400 points, for a total of 650 points ... not bad.

So, I was able to find five cheap PC adds for my Kings, Michigan and general basketball collections ... that's the good news.

The bad news? I was astonished that the cheapest shipping option is now $11+, and they also add a handling fee of $2+ for a shipping cost of over $13!

For five cards.

Suffice it to say, I think I'm going to take a nice, looooooong break from Panini right now.

RE: Oh, Boy, Panini, Where Do I Start? - kerryandbeth - 12-19-2019

Whoa, that is nuts! I just traded 550 points to somebody this week...now I feel bad.

At least in my box of EEE there are 8 hits, so 2 rewards cards were frustrating but not ridiculous as in your case.

RE: Oh, Boy, Panini, Where Do I Start? - rjcj2017 - 12-19-2019

(12-19-2019, 02:17 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Whoa, that is nuts! I just traded 550 points to somebody this week...now I feel bad.

At least in my box of EEE there are 8 hits, so 2 rewards cards were frustrating but not ridiculous as in your case.

Yep, this was the last straw for me.

It was bad enough when it was 4-something, at least that's the correct price to ship a bubble mailer first class.

RE: Oh, Boy, Panini, Where Do I Start? - savagenate - 12-20-2019

Yeah, that's insane!

RE: Oh, Boy, Panini, Where Do I Start? - rjcj2017 - 12-20-2019

(12-20-2019, 03:48 PM)savagenate Wrote: Yeah, that's insane!

This morning I was in Walmart and they had exactly two blasters left of Holiday Hoops.

Normally that would be a no-brainer for me, especially since they've been sitting there for a few days.

I had enough cash on me, too.

You know what I did?

I walked away.

I'm really irritated with Panini at the moment.

RE: Oh, Boy, Panini, Where Do I Start? - savagenate - 12-21-2019

Good for you! Lol, that's hard to do!

RE: Oh, Boy, Panini, Where Do I Start? - maizenblue73175 - 12-25-2019

What bites for us as collector's is that Panini has monopolized the NFL to be the only licensed product. We need topps back. or license leaf or someone else. Help us out!
(12-20-2019, 04:31 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: This morning I was in Walmart and they had exactly two blasters left of Holiday Hoops.

Normally that would be a no-brainer for me, especially since they've been sitting there for a few days.

I had enough cash on me, too.

You know what I did?

I walked away.

I'm really irritated with Panini at the moment.

RE: Oh, Boy, Panini, Where Do I Start? - ZSDOne - 12-27-2019

Maybe Panini figured out that people were getting multiple low value hits at a time because it was better value to pay for shipping for 5 cheap cards than 1 expensive card and wanted to put a stop to it (perhaps so they can tout having tons of available cards - never mind that most anything that doesn't get snapped up immediately is horribly overpriced and gives extremely poor value not even taking into account shipping)

I'd always much rather pull a redemption than points - and the Panini Points system has gotten so bad that I'd rather get an undrafted free agent practice squad player autograph than a 400 point card (and even the junkiest RPS jersey card is preferrable to a 250 or 150 point card)

I currently have, I believe 1650 points on the system that I keep hoping they upload something I actually want to spend on - and the most points I ever got at once is 400, so Panini simply laughs as I had all of those missing hits that I haven't gotten anything for all of those missing hits. But I check the rewards site daily, so hopefully they will post something I want to get eventually so I can get rid of the points)

RE: Oh, Boy, Panini, Where Do I Start? - rjcj2017 - 12-30-2019

(12-25-2019, 09:00 PM)maizenblue73175 Wrote: What bites for us as collector's is that Panini has monopolized the NFL to be the only licensed product. We need topps back. or license leaf or someone else. Help us out!

Indeed. Monopolies are not good.
(12-27-2019, 10:42 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: Maybe Panini figured out that people were getting multiple low value hits at a time because it was better value to pay for shipping for 5 cheap cards than 1 expensive card and wanted to put a stop to it (perhaps so they can tout having tons of available cards - never mind that most anything that doesn't get snapped up immediately is horribly overpriced and gives extremely poor value not even taking into account shipping)

I'd always much rather pull a redemption than points - and the Panini Points system has gotten so bad that I'd rather get an undrafted free agent practice squad player autograph than a 400 point card (and even the junkiest RPS jersey card is preferrable to a 250 or 150 point card)

I currently have, I believe 1650 points on the system that I keep hoping they upload something I actually want to spend on - and the most points I ever got at once is 400, so Panini simply laughs as I had all of those missing hits that I haven't gotten anything for all of those missing hits. But I check the rewards site daily, so hopefully they will post something I want to get eventually so I can get rid of the points)

Agreed on all points.

So like an idiot last week I bought one more blaster of Contenders Football thinking, what are the odds I'd get another points card?

Yep, another 400 points card, which I traded this morning.

3 blasters, 3 points cards.

Meanwhile, the package arrived today with the cards I picked with my other two points cards (five cards for my various basketball PCs).

And, even though I paid three times what I used to pay for shipping, they sent it via FedEx instead of USPS using ... wait for it ... a bubble mailer.

So they literally did nothing to add value other than just charge me more.

No extra packaging, no bonus packs (heaven forbid) ...

Suffice it to say I can't ever see myself using points cards again.

I will trade them as soon as I pull them from now on.

RE: Oh, Boy, Panini, Where Do I Start? - dogger99 - 01-05-2020

Opened my 2nd hobby 2019 hobby box yesterday (Playoff, $100 from lcs). Ended up with a 250 pt card. And I also can't find a single card that I want to redeem my points (1300) on. Definitely not worth the $100.

Since I started buying hobby boxes from Blowout, I would usually make 6-8 purchases a year. Actually went all of 2019 without purchasing from them (not that there is anything wrong with Blowout). Actually ended up making probably a dozen or so purchases from COMC. Usually have an order of around $100 and get 50-70 cards, all PC or set needs. Beats paying $200+ (free shipping) maybe getting a couple of decent cards and hopefully a few PC cards an end filling boxes with cards I don't have a need for.

So in sum and a long roundabout way of getting there... Panini Points suck.