Beckett Message Boards
What Made You Support The Team You Support? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Football (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: What Made You Support The Team You Support? (/thread-1615169.html)

Pages: 1 2

What Made You Support The Team You Support? - DamianGerard - 08-18-2019

Exactly as the title states, why are you a fan of the team you support? Obviously a lot of people will be because it's their local team or who their family supports, but there are some interesting stories in there I'm sure!

Personally, I started supporting Liverpool around 1988-89. My dad was watching Liverpool vs. Arsenal at Anfield on TV, I asked who the red team were, he said Liverpool, supported them ever since!whatsapp web whatsapp plus

RE: What Made You Support The Team You Support? - savagenate - 08-18-2019

I'm one of the mundane people, I grew up in Wisconsin with all my friends being Packer fans, so I became a Packer fan. I liked Brett Favre too. You never knew what was going to happen when he had the ball lol. Over the years I've become more of a player fan. I still cheer for my packers, but there are certain guys on other teams I can't help but cheer for, whether its because of a feel good story, local guy, or someone who is great both on and off the field. J.J Watt would be the best example of that. Tomlinson is my favorite RB as he did everything on the field, run, catch, and pass! Brees, Rivers, Benjamin Watson, are all guys I like to cheer for as they are so good in their communities and good role models. Larry Fitzgerald is another. I could go on lol.

RE: What Made You Support The Team You Support? - kerryandbeth - 08-18-2019

I lived in Missouri in 1976 when I watched football for the very first time at age 13. Some guy named Fran Tarkenton would run around and then pass to a guy named Ahmad Rashad...been a Viking fan ever since.

RE: What Made You Support The Team You Support? - jplarson - 08-19-2019

I grew up rooting for the 49ers because my older brother and I played Tecmo Super Bowl all the time on the NES and I always picked them. Montana to Rice all day, Ronnie Lott patrolling the secondary, Charles Haley sacking QBs, and sticking Tom Rathman in at kick return then popping off defenses on his way to an 8 KR TD season!

After Montana left and a lot of those guys from the late 80s were gone my allegiances slowly switched over to my home team, the Bears. Once Rice went to the Raiders, the transformation was complete. Ironically it would only be a year before we moved away from Chicago to Rhinelander. Not easy being the only Bears fan in high school!

RE: What Made You Support The Team You Support? - foleylion08 - 08-19-2019

Growing up in Alabama, almost at birth you're either an Alabama fan or an Auburn fan. For me, that was Alabama, even though my family wasn't that much into sports, I wore the crimson and watched the games as an adolescent.

When I was 6, my older sister got married to a guy from up north who took a liking to me, and I to him. He was a fan of this guy named Drew Bledsoe (he was also the person who gave me my first football card, a Bledsoe from 1996 Skybox). So I started watching games with him and fell in love with this team just because of my relationship with my brother in law.

These two paths crossed in 2000 when my favorite college team was beaten by this scrawny Michigan QB in our bowl game, I wanted to hate him (being 9 years old at the time) for how he beat us, and then the Patriots went and drafted him! I was not happy then, but it kinda worked out haha.

RE: What Made You Support The Team You Support? - rjcj2017 - 08-19-2019

I was born in Michigan and still have family there, so I like all the Detroit/college teams there ... yes, a rare dual Michigan/Michigan State fan!

I was raised in Sacramento, so I'm a diehard, lifelong Sacramento Kings fan.

I went to USC for college, so I'm a Trojans fan.

I now live in the Bay Area, so I follow the other teams as well.

Makes perfect sense!

RE: What Made You Support The Team You Support? - kerryandbeth - 08-19-2019

(08-19-2019, 10:31 AM)foleylion08 Wrote: Growing up in Alabama, almost at birth you're either an Alabama fan or an Auburn fan. For me, that was Alabama, even though my family wasn't that much into sports, I wore the crimson and watched the games as an adolescent.

When I was 6, my older sister got married to a guy from up north who took a liking to me, and I to him. He was a fan of this guy named Drew Bledsoe (he was also the person who gave me my first football card, a Bledsoe from 1996 Skybox). So I started watching games with him and fell in love with this team just because of my relationship with my brother in law.

These two paths crossed in 2000 when my favorite college team was beaten by this scrawny Michigan QB in our bowl game, I wanted to hate him (being 9 years old at the time) for how he beat us, and then the Patriots went and drafted him! I was not happy then, but it kinda worked out haha.
I have been a Michigan fan ever since I first saw them play Notre Dame. Yes, I watched Tom Brady in Maizen Blue but have never rooted for him since joining the Pats and it is Steve Grogan's fault (could not tolerate him as Pats QB years ago).

RE: What Made You Support The Team You Support? - rjcj2017 - 08-19-2019

(08-19-2019, 11:56 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I have been a Michigan fan ever since I first saw them play Notre Dame. Yes, I watched Tom Brady in Maizen Blue but have never rooted for him since joining the Pats and it is Steve Grogan's fault (could not tolerate him as Pats QB years ago).

Ha! I, too, despise Steve Grogan, but for a different reason.

Back in the 1980s, when I was a kid, my mom used to go to Jazzercise class.

The instructor was a lady named Shannon Eason.

Her brother, Tony, played QB for the Patriots.

My mom would always lug me to class with her, so to pass the time while they were Jazzercising, I would draw pictures of all the Patriots' big stars - Tony, Andre Tippett, Irving Fryar, etc.

After class I would give the pictures to Shannon and ask her to send them to Tony.

I don't know if she ever did, but I did get a signed Super Bowl program from Tony the year they lost to the Bears.

(Of course, I lost it. Or, to be more accurate, my parents lost it in one of their many moves.)

The one guy on the team that I never drew a picture of was Steve Grogan, because I knew he was taking playing time away from Tony every time he stepped on the field, LOL

A few years back when Topps still had its football license, they did this promotion where you could enter codes for vintage cards from their "vault," and you could either trade them online or have them sent to you.

(I want to say 2013 or so?)

I ended up trading for the entire 1986 Topps team set of Patriots (yes, even Grogan) and still have it despite purging most of my collection last summer.

RE: What Made You Support The Team You Support? - kerryandbeth - 08-19-2019

(08-19-2019, 12:13 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Ha! I, too, despise Steve Grogan, but for a different reason.

Back in the 1980s, when I was a kid, my mom used to go to Jazzercise class.

The instructor was a lady named Shannon Eason.

Her brother, Tony, played QB for the Patriots.

My mom would always lug me to class with her, so to pass the time while they were Jazzercising, I would draw pictures of all the Patriots' big stars - Tony, Andre Tippett, Irving Fryar, etc.

After class I would give the pictures to Shannon and ask her to send them to Tony.

I don't know if she ever did, but I did get a signed Super Bowl program from Tony the year they lost to the Bears.

(Of course, I lost it. Or, to be more accurate, my parents lost it in one of their many moves.)

The one guy on the team that I never drew a picture of was Steve Grogan, because I knew he was taking playing time away from Tony every time he stepped on the field, LOL

A few years back when Topps still had its football license, they did this promotion where you could enter codes for vintage cards from their "vault," and you could either trade them online or have them sent to you.

(I want to say 2013 or so?)

I ended up trading for the entire 1986 Topps team set of Patriots (yes, even Grogan) and still have it despite purging most of my collection last summer.
That's an awesome story!

To piggyback my first post, many times in the past I have become a fan of a team based on their quarterback/wide receiver combination...

Jim Zorn to Steve Largent of the Seahawks
Ron Jaworski to Harold Carmichael of the Eagles
Daunte Culpepper to Randy Moss of the Vikings (I mention this because I stopped watching the years Les Steckel was head coach and when Brett Favre became QB)
Bryon Leftwich to Jimmy Smith of the Jaguars
Kurt Warner to Isaac Bruce of the Rams

On the flip side, many teams I hope lose every game have QBs that rub me the wrong way. So, I am trying to remain a Vikings fan in spite of Cousins!

RE: What Made You Support The Team You Support? - ZSDOne - 08-19-2019

I became an Eagles fan because we went along with my father to a conference in Philadelphia in 1980 when I was 5 - it was a great trip, I got to ride on the subway, go to the zoo, see the Liberty Bell and decided that Philadelphia was the most amazing place. Having already liked visiting Philadelphia, it was an easy sell for me to become an Eagles fan - especially since they had green uniforms and green was my favorite color. Then to absolutely seal the deal, the Eagles went to the Super Bowl that year and I've been a fan ever since.